Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

View Poll Results: Should Falcomist be permanently banned?
Yes. 8 9.30%
No. 78 90.70%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 AM   #101
Imp

Guest is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ralath View Post
But if you really want to get legal, I present:

Roth v. United States

Basically:
  1. Obscenity is not protected by the U.S. Constitution
  2. Obscenity is defined by community standards.

But even if you do go on to read to the bottom a little further about Miller v. California (which I hope you do), it says that obscenity is protected under the First Amendment unless distributed to minors and unwilling third parties.

Falcomist broadcast his speech into public. Therefore, First Amendment does not protect him.

Ahem.

:3
Oh, the First Amendment doesn't apply in public? That makes a lot of sense.

Protecting unpopular (ie obscene) speech is the whole purpose of the First Amendment, speech that doesn't offend doesn't need protecting.

The First Amendment is supposed to apply to any speech in anywhere, regardless of the current legal interpretation which changes so drastically and so often its a joke. Ever heard of Lenny Bruce?

The real issue here is that Outsparks servers are not public, but the private property of Outspark and they can ban anyone they want for any reason. You can picket in the street in front of my house, but you can't picket on my lawn. Some private property has been ruled protected by the First Amendment in some cases, such as malls, but so far that doesn't apply to privately owned websites/servers.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 AM   #102
MikeyG
Touch all the butts

Tournaments Won: 10

In-Game Name: lnfamous
Current Level: 6x
Server: Teva
MikeyG has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeyG
Everyone can stop commenting and voting on this.
Plain and simple falco is done and not coming back.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:25 AM   #103
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
^ Hey these are forums, discussions are inevitable.
Anyways I disagree with the IP ban of other countries primarily because I'd get banned D:. Call me selfish. Anyways, if they want to keep their primary channels of chat in english only, why not put some sort of english test at registration? :P But seriously, since America is a mixed culture, and many people are multilingual, enforcing an IP ban won't do much, because there are Americans who can speak german/french/any other foreign language, and could still use them to insult people. So, Outspark would lose a huge customer base (by customers I mean CS users), while it still wouldn't have managed to correct the problem. There can be racist insults among NA people also, you don't need people from other countries to have a variety of races (to insult :P). Having people from different cultures actually makes the game more fun and interactive, while inevitably bringing a language gap to the game. There are always two sides to a coin. And I'm sure it was a well-thought out decision by Outspark to allow worldwide consumers. I hope

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Old 05-05-2008, 11:09 PM   #104
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Oh, the First Amendment doesn't apply in public? That makes a lot of sense.

Protecting unpopular (ie obscene) speech is the whole purpose of the First Amendment, speech that doesn't offend doesn't need protecting.

The First Amendment is supposed to apply to any speech in anywhere, regardless of the current legal interpretation which changes so drastically and so often its a joke. Ever heard of Lenny Bruce?
Unpopular=/=obscene. Obscene, as the SCOTUS has defined it, is something without any intrinsic value. Unpopular speech is protected. Obscene speech is not.

Heck. Sometimes, even not obscene speech is not protected, the obvious example being clear and present danger (ie., shouting fire in a theater when there is no fire is not protected under the First Amendment).

Originally Posted by vasu619 View Post
^ Hey these are forums, discussions are inevitable.
Anyways I disagree with the IP ban of other countries primarily because I'd get banned D:. Call me selfish. Anyways, if they want to keep their primary channels of chat in english only, why not put some sort of english test at registration? :P I hope
Waaaayy too easy to bypass.

See: Bright Kingdom. :3

Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #105
Ulrike
Senior Torturer

In-Game Name: Ulrike
Current Level: 6x
Server: Bijou
Ulrike will become famous soon enoughUlrike will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ulrike
the only time first amendment won't apply is for cases of slander, and even then only if the audience is not there by choice, i.e. if a slanderer bursts into a lecture hall full of students.

:: reflection ::

set by loveless
Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #106
AngellicDiety
Marlone

In-Game Name: AngellicDiety
Current Level: 1 divided by zero
AngellicDiety will become famous soon enoughAngellicDiety will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Lady-Loki View Post
Regardless of "Freedom of Speech" there are also Harassment Laws that have been upheld in court where employers are under court order to ensure a workplace that is free of harassment based on sexual, racial, and religious, on and on. The courts upheld the Harassment Law over the "Freedom of Speech".

In raw terms, there isn't "absolute" freedom of speech. You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater; you'll get arrested.

Theoretically, you are free to speak your mind without fear of retribution. On the other hand: With the way our society has become, some things you are NOT free to say. "Hate speech" i.e. racial comments as an example.

But this issue has nothing to do with Constitutional rights or “Freedom of Speech”. It is solely a matter of Outspark enforcing the TOS. If you don't abide by them, then Outspark can, at their discretion, perma-ban you. And I do not really think anyone plans to take them to court, so, the TOS is pretty much the law in this case. And, I also believe that if Falcomist took them to court Outspark would win because based on whatever screenies they had submitted, he violated their TOS in regards to some form of racial slur, and like an employer, Outspark has an obligation and a right to ensure a game environment that is free of harassment based on sexual, racial, religious, on and on.
Yes while that is all true,

I merely commented on the fact that you said a contract and terms of service can have anything in it and it must be upheld.

A contract in its most general form still cannot violate the law, which you had implied in the post previous.

Whilst, your arguments are sound, and are correct, I think you misunderstood what it was I was commenting about.

Originally Posted by +Tequila+ View Post
technically the internet is not governed by the bill of rights. There are really no laws as to what you can and can't do on the internet which is why things like private servers , free movie sites and other things can exist there. So if a company wants to set a english only rule they can. My stepdad and his wife work for the FBI and I've spoken to them many times on this subject and they've always said the same thing as what Loki has stated.
Unfortunately, that is not entire true.

Whilst the internet is not technically governed by law, the hosts, web sites, specifically the hard-ware server that resides within a country is subject to that countries law.

Unfortunately, your stepdad was only commenting on the cases overseas' and outside of the United States of America, whereby the FBI has no real power to enforce anything.

But, over domestic related issues they have full authority.

Dont believe me? Its simple, start up warez site within the United states, make it popular, and you will have law-enforcement at your door for violating domestic copyright laws.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 AM   #107
+Tequila+
Blue Clover Trumpy

In-Game Name: Braver
Current Level: 126
Server: Wildlands(PvP)
+Tequila+ will become famous soon enough+Tequila+ will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to +Tequila+ Send a message via MSN to +Tequila+
Originally Posted by AngellicDiety View Post
Yes while that is all true,

I merely commented on the fact that you said a contract and terms of service can have anything in it and it must be upheld.

A contract in its most general form still cannot violate the law, which you had implied in the post previous.

Whilst, your arguments are sound, and are correct, I think you misunderstood what it was I was commenting about.

Unfortunately, that is not entire true.

Whilst the internet is not technically governed by law, the hosts, web sites, specifically the hard-ware server that resides within a country is subject to that countries law.

Unfortunately, your stepdad was only commenting on the cases overseas' and outside of the United States of America, whereby the FBI has no real power to enforce anything.

But, over domestic related issues they have full authority.

Dont believe me? Its simple, start up warez site within the United states, make it popular, and you will have law-enforcement at your door for violating domestic copyright laws.
Private servers based in the U.S? RF Addiction and RFPoA to name a few? Private servers are quite popular i nthe us and violate all kinds of *domestic* copyright laws but nothing can really be done to them because of certain stipulations.

Jade Dynasty:Braver:13X:Balo
-Heaven Alliance Captain:Stardust Marshall-
Old 05-11-2008, 03:39 AM   #108
Nicky_Dude
Fire Mushroom

In-Game Name: Nicky_Dude
Current Level: 33
Nicky_Dude is on a distinguished road
Nope
i dont think he should be banned permanently cuz he probably didnt mean wat he meant to do and was a complete axedent
Old 05-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #109
SKiNG
Hungry Wolf

SKiNG is on a distinguished road
I haven't had time to read this entire thread. But this situation is still under discussion internally. I cannot divulge any information at this time so please do not ask the GMs since they are not involved with this matter anymore.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 04:10 AM   #110
Meek
Speedy Slime

In-Game Name: Meek
Current Level: Was..LvL 36..Now back to Zero T_T
Meek is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SKiNG View Post
I haven't had time to read this entire thread. But this situation is still under discussion internally. I cannot divulge any information at this time so please do not ask the GMs since they are not involved with this matter anymore.

Thanks
Wow awesome, I'm glad that you guys are at least discussing the issue. Give them a second chance, when people get angry and upset they say things they don't mean. Kudos to you Sking.