Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
Any suggestions (laptop issue)

So I got my laptop today and it won't connect to my wireless internet. My old laptop, the one I'm on atm, is obviously connected so I'm guessing its an issue with connecting to my router or something with the computer.

Either way I called Comcast because usually in the past I've been able to get assistance with setting up my wireless from my ISP. She had me do the typical turn off the computer, turn off the router, etc. Didn't work.

Then she suggested I either get help from their xfinity support but they'd have to charge my account. Other option was to call cisco, the company that makes my router, and see if they could help. I chose to call cisco. Turns out they want to charge me too since my warranty is expired. I'd have to pay $30 minimum to get help from them. I told them no thanks.

So I don't know where to start on figuring this out myself...

And it's not like it straight up won't connect. It recognizes it but when I go to connect, it tells me I have limited access and it's an unidentified connection
Yosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Yosei
Corgi Addict

Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Decided to contact Acer support and they told me I should try downloading the wireless driver and updating it.

Never had a new laptop so wasn't sure... my old one was for display at Office Max.

Edit: Hm. I did what the person told me to do, it didn't work. Still says limited access.

Last edited by Yosei; 07-22-2011 at 05:59 PM..
Old 07-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
*waits for Hrae or Triumph*

Tried Googling the "limited access wireless" or whatever along those lines?
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Yosei
Corgi Addict

Yeah. Hasn't helped too much. I'm trying to find out how to update my wireless driver or at least find it on my PC. I went to the site and it has a list of multiple things under wireless driver. Not sure if I'm supposed to download one or all.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
You would think a new laptop wouldn't really need updating...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
Yosei
Corgi Addict

Yeah lol. This thing had the most ridiculous bloatware too. McAfee AND Norton trials. And a bunch of random stuff like from Netflex, Times, etc. My computer apparently had 55 updates available. Got them hoping one was for my wireless driver, but nothing after the reboot.

Last edited by Yosei; 07-22-2011 at 07:32 PM..
Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
Phantom Badger
FF's Official Weirdo

In-Game Name: [BlackDragonEX - Paladin]
Current Level: [BlackDragonEX - 73]
Server: Teva
Phantom Badger has a spectacular aura aboutPhantom Badger has a spectacular aura aboutPhantom Badger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Phantom Badger
Hurm, Im not sure how your wireless is set up but on mine the computer or device has to be added to a 'White-list' of sorts for the wireless to accept it.
Is there any kind of admin control panel you can access and see if there's a security option ?
Phantom Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Yosei
Corgi Addict

We haven't had to do that for anything so far (my other laptop, PS3, DS, etc). I mean, we have a security key to use it but I put the correct one in. I'm the one who made it. It still says unidentified network and limited. I think the limited MIGHT be the wifi they put up in our city. We're a smalltown and they recently gave the entire town free wifi for a little bit. It recognizes a really weak unsecured connection and is connected to it. But then when I go to mine and try to connect, it says unsuccessful.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 AM   #9
Krowley
Huge Phinofly

In-Game Name: Krowley
Current Level: 92
Server: Bijou
Krowley is on a distinguished road
Is your connection WPA, or WEP?
If it's WPA, is it AES or TIK?
This may be an encryption issue.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
Yosei
Corgi Addict

I guess WEP, it says that in the description.