Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Old 07-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Sparkeh
Nothing here, move along.

Sparkeh is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sparkeh
Never thought this would still be alive...

Greetings!

I am still alive. I was never away... It was just uhh... a major step in my life.

You remember me, the young me, the type of kid who spammed "xD" in every single post. Also, "^__^" /cringe. Anyway, I evolved. I changed to an adult now.

I finished high school and have decided what to do with my life... study abroad! Although I was missing 5 points from one of my tests to study abroad on the government's money, my dad surprisingly decided to pay for my trip. 3 months and then I'd switch under the government's care. I didn't decide which country I should go to but my dad did. He had a friend who works in one of these visa offices and he said, "I can let your kid go to Canada! Vancouver!" He agreed and my dad reported to me the next day.

At first, I did not give him an answer, I did some research and then agreed to "what the heck, lets go for it" as I didn't even bother to research. If he wants me to go there, let it be. I'd take an english course for at least 6 months to develop my 4 english skills. I lacked reading and writing, listening and speaking was fine for me. I had to go tell my mom, which was the hardest part ever. She refused. Tried again, nope. 3rd time is a charm, still no. It was impossible. I talked to myself through it and decided to ignore and still kick off day.

So it has arrived, the day I'd leave my hometown to go study for the first time in my life. Tears were shed, emotions were felt and I cried like a little baby for almost all the way from home to the airport. Everyone wished me good luck and was happy for me. My mom was heart-broken. I can see her face slowly changing its colors. For the first time of my life, I manned the fuck up and said to her, "I promise you... I'll be back with one of the greatest achievements in my life and I promise you I'd make you proud of me. I'll be back... soon." She died inside, I felt it and I saw it right in front of my eyes. She screamed in the airport's parking lot. I walked away, gathered my stuff and entered the terminal.

Reached Vancouver, arrived to the new homestay family. They were nice people, I liked them a lot. I go to school everyday, meet new people, study and then enjoy the city at night. It was perfect so far, no money problems, nothing at all. 3 months later, I register under the government's care and now they pay everything for me and give me a monthly paycheck which is somehow OK. I take IELTS, score a 6 with a 6.5 in writing, told them I'd register for UBC. They said undergradute starts September 2015. I was confused, but everyone told me to wait because it's worth it. Anyway, I'm enjoying Vancouver and seriously loving it.

Ramadan strikes and I have a 1 month vacation every year from the gov. I go back, meet my family again, and now here I am typing this in the 2nd Eid day (after Ramadan). I'm going back Friday morning (1 AM) and heading back to Vancouver, through Frankfurt, Germany.

I think I mentioned this earlier but I dunno, just wanted to say hi anyway.

Sparkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Lirange
Bad Kid

Why does the government pay for your school? Are they doing it in hopes you'll bring back the knowledge and apply it to your home country? Because isn't it a common issue where people end up not leaving their home country permanently? "brain drain"? Sounds like it'd be fun and terrifying going to another country for your studies, hope it's been a positive experience for you though!
Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
That's wonderful to hear sparky! To have the opportunity to study aboard and see everything around it!

Do you get to Skype your family? Must be difficult to leave such a close family...

Do Canadian schools have coincide their holidays with Ramadan? Otherwise won't you miss out on school when you have your vacation?

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Hessah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Sparkeh
Nothing here, move along.

Sparkeh is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sparkeh
Originally Posted by Lirange View Post
Why does the government pay for your school? Are they doing it in hopes you'll bring back the knowledge and apply it to your home country? Because isn't it a common issue where people end up not leaving their home country permanently? "brain drain"? Sounds like it'd be fun and terrifying going to another country for your studies, hope it's been a positive experience for you though!
Yes. While most students abroad can't find any jobs because the knowledge they took is not used here yet, I'm very positive that the system will change soon.

As for permanently leaving, many people do in fact stay in their desired country for a VERY long time. My agent has been in Canada for 10 years, and she didn't go back home once. Thank you! :'D
Originally Posted by Hessah View Post
That's wonderful to hear sparky! To have the opportunity to study aboard and see everything around it!

Do you get to Skype your family? Must be difficult to leave such a close family...

Do Canadian schools have coincide their holidays with Ramadan? Otherwise won't you miss out on school when you have your vacation?
Thanks.

I do get to skype with my family, possibly every weekend or every 2-3 days.

No, they don't. When I have an official day off from the government, I usually ask the teacher if there's something important I'll miss out, if so, I attend school and ignore the day off. If not, then yaaaaaaaaay! As for a month vacation, I try and manage to finish a term before I leave (which I managed to do this time!) so I won't miss out much unless it's a completely new term.
Sparkeh is offline   Reply With Quote