Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
Enraya
WONDERARCHER

Server: Teva
Enraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to behold
Crossbow vs. Bow

Lol, I know this topic has been posted before. I guess it's a matter of choice. But can someone give me a really detailed explanation? Here's my thoughts so far:

Crossbows outdamage bows by a hefty amount, and if you add in the skills, crossbows > bows. But bows can pull out 1 shot per 1.1 seconds, while crossbows are 1 shot per 1.4 seconds.

So ... let's say I'm not using any skills and is killing a 30 hp monster. The ratio of damage for bow to crossbow is approximately 1:2, so I hit 2 damage per shot for bows and 4 damage per shot for crossbows. If I use my crossbow, it takes 10 shots, over a period of 14 seconds. If I use a bow, it takes 15 shots, over a period of 16.5 seconds.

That, obviously, seems to defeat the point of bows being the faster one of the group. Of course, my calculations could be wrong, lol. I suck at math.

Anyways, critical hit percent. Bows have 4 percent critical hit, and crossbows 6 percent. Without any skill empowerment, builds, etc., bows would have every 4/100th shot crit and crossbows would have 6/100 shot crit. We kill a 100 hp monster. Crits double the damage.
With a crossbow, still using 4 damage per shot, that uses 25 shots to kill over a period of 35 seconds. Six of the shots crit, taking 48 damage altogether. That would leave us with 13 more shots regular shots to make. Together, with the crits and the normal damage, that takes us 26.6 seconds to finish off the monster.
Bows, still using 2 damage per shot, takes 50 shots to kill over a period of 55 seconds. Four of the shots crit, meaning that they take 16 damage altogether. That leaves the bow with 41 more shots to make, with a total of 45.1 seconds to finish off the monster.

Of course, my math is probably dreadfully off, but from what I can see here, crossbows clearly pwn bows. The only reason I'm still hesitation on this is because bows make smexeh archers ... and xbows don't. I'd love to see my archer with a gigantic bow crit the hell out of a monster, but she'll probably die in the process.

So, any advice from those that play advanced archers?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Kiedo
Mara Pirates

In-Game Name: Evade
Current Level: 51
Kiedo is on a distinguished road
To fix your math:

Monster = 40hp
Bow = 2dmg, 1.1 asp
Xbow = 4dmg, 1.4 asp

Bow uses 20 shots in 22 seconds.
Xbow uses 10 shots in 14 seconds.

Xbow gets higher crit, more damage on enhancement and stronger burst skills. Bow gets more aim and looks better.

Last edited by Kiedo; 10-27-2007 at 08:14 AM..
Old 10-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Phantom Badger
FF's Official Weirdo

In-Game Name: [BlackDragonEX - Paladin]
Current Level: [BlackDragonEX - 73]
Phantom Badger has a spectacular aura aboutPhantom Badger has a spectacular aura aboutPhantom Badger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Phantom Badger
I picked bow fo the sole reason that multi-shot looks weird with a crossbow. Also i have a sun roumen bow +4
Old 10-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Azling
King Crab

In-Game Name: Chainsaw_Monkey
Current Level: 40 almost 41
Server: TEVA 4 LIFE
Azling is an unknown quantity at this point
I Like The Awesome Bow's In The Game And They Look Cool
But Crossbow's Damage Is Way Better
So I Can't Decide And BlackdragonEX Nice Avatar And Sig
Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Grudger
Blue Crab

In-Game Name: Ryengeku
Current Level: 5x
Server: Epith
Grudger is an unknown quantity at this point
They could do something with the bows like put it's crit to 6 and put xbow crit to 4 since bow is weaker anyway. xbow could be strong in atk but weaker in crit and bow could be weaker in atk but stronger in crit. I would like to use a bow but right now xbow is just in because it is better. bow is weaker in crit and atk. not fair and the aim isn't even that greater in bow than xbow. Make it a reason to use bow than just go straight to xbow. really the only reason people use bows right now is that they look cool.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
O-mie
Lilian's Maid

Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: Omies (5x Cleric) Fable (4x Archer)
Current Level: OVER 900000000
O-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to O-mie Send a message via MSN to O-mie

xbow works better the more DoT skills you have. At first, I had two GGK bows - a normal and a cross bow. I planned to use xbow for skills and normal for melee but in the end things would die before I could really switch off to normal bow, so I just sold it in the end and stuck to crossbow. =s

"Stand up for what you believe is right, even if you're standing alone."

Omies [5x Cleric] Fable [4x Archer] Omie [1x Mage] Wigglytuff [2x Fighter]
Teva

Nakama //GrandPaprika // Symphony
O-mie's Art Gallery || Sketch-Blog

Old 11-06-2007, 10:13 PM   #7
Pedobear
Marlone Megaton

In-Game Name: Thanatopsis
Current Level: 35
Pedobear will become famous soon enough
you wont see the benefits of the bow till much later in the game, any only if you are a heavy str build.

once your base damage starts to have more of an effect on how much damage you deal than your weapon, then the bow will start to outdps the xbow. but the xbow will ALWAYS be the pick for skill spamming.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:31 AM   #8
Bertinator
Fire Mushroom

In-Game Name: Left4Dead
Current Level: 18
Server: Apoline
Bertinator is on a distinguished road
So, the xbow is better than the bow?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:44 AM   #9
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by Bertinator View Post
So, the xbow is better than the bow?
I wouldn't say there's a definite answer, I think it's all just personal preference...
Old 11-07-2007, 01:38 AM   #10
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
so if i was a full dex archer... should i go bow to enhance my build...

or i can go xbow.. coz i've compensated the downside of an xbow (lower accuracy) with my build...?

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Closed Thread