Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Eru
Marlone Captain

In-Game Name: dunno
Eru has a spectacular aura aboutEru has a spectacular aura about
guess ill go first :P

so this thread may wind up a flop...but eh...here goes:

Within the US, what do you guys think causes more disadvantage within society, race or zipcode?

In my experience teaching (college level) lower-income adults, I have seen many students of many races exhibit all ranges or drive, intelligence, and ability. However, what I see working against most of them is the fact they live in an impoverished area which seems to breed a certain sub-culture which is hard to escape.

The reason I question this against race, is that many of the students I work with claim that it is race which is holding them back. Being a white male I cant say I’ve ever felt much negative societal pressure, so I’m willing to admit there may be more to it than simply zipcode, but I still tend to think zipcode has more to do with the issue.

Also I realize this may be different in different areas inside the US (ie: Southern vs. Midwestern, vs. New England, vs. Western states)

I’m also interested in an international opinion as to how you see these two aspects working within *your* country.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Triumph
Wiki Head Admin

Deal or No Deal Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: FFXIV
Current Level: 80
Server: Coeurl
Triumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud of
Race and zip code are equal in terms of disadvantage for those less fortunate.

When it comes to race, those of African American descent will tend to experience more intolerance, disrespect, and racial slurs than those who are not. Similar to those with Hispanic descent in the United States; many people automatically characterize anyone that is Hispanic to be automatically Mexican, rather than, say, Peruvian. Some will go further and claim the individual in question is actually an illegal immigrant.

Similar with zip codes. First off, I live in a reasonably well-off area. My county is fortunate to grace Wikipedia's top 50 highest personal income counties. I don't notice too much of an issue with zip codes here, but I know for a fact that those people from New York and other prominent areas will tend to sneer at someone who mentions that they are from a lesser prominent area, or perhaps a less wealthy region. Teenagers are much the same. Nocal vs. Socal is one example. My school teems with people who are Aberzombies who insist on wearing Abercrombie, who sometimes scorn people who wear Hollister. I have traveled through certain areas that are not as fortunate in terms of wealth, and I'll be honest: I did shudder at the thought of living in such places.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
Do you guys mean zipcode by the area that you live, rich/poor suburb?

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 07-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Spirit
complete once again

Tournaments Won: 11

In-Game Name: Spirit_of_Water, Spirit_of_Earth, Spirit_of_Fire, Spirit_of_Wind, Spirit_of_Sky
Current Level: Level 101 Guardian, Level 70 Fighter, Level 90 Mage, Level 89 Archer, Level 72 Trickster
Server: Teva
Spirit has disabled reputation
Yeah. We also call it "the other side of the tracks" <--- although that can have many meanings. Not just race, but also financial boundaries. Kind of like, I am considered middle-class, so the ritzy neighborhoods would deem me from the wrong side of the tracks, because I do not live in a 2 million dollar house.

Spirit_of_Water- -Spirit_of_Earth- -Spirit_of_Fire- -Spirit_of_Wind- -Spirit_of_Sky
x101xxxxxxxxxxx70xxxxxxxxxx90xxxxxxxxxx89xxxxxxxxxxx72
Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
I've been to California. You can HAVE it. Never getting a return on a friendly "Hello!" and getting looked at suspiciously for letting an elderly woman (with fewer items) go in front of me in a grocery store then getting nearly mocked for bringing a hostess gift in the form of a bottle of wine...fie on it.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
Spirit
complete once again

In-Game Name: Spirit_of_Water, Spirit_of_Earth, Spirit_of_Fire, Spirit_of_Wind, Spirit_of_Sky
Current Level: Level 101 Guardian, Level 70 Fighter, Level 90 Mage, Level 89 Archer, Level 72 Trickster
Is it not wierd how different our cultures are simply based on where we live IN the US? Things in the South are so much different. Not backwards different, just different.

Spirit_of_Water- -Spirit_of_Earth- -Spirit_of_Fire- -Spirit_of_Wind- -Spirit_of_Sky
Old 07-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Manzcar
WHOOOOOOOOOOS THEEEEEERE!

Tournaments Won: 2

In-Game Name: Same as above
Current Level: Manzcar sndy| Elijaz 2x
Manzcar has disabled reputation
Theoretically each state is or groupings of states in the US is the equivalent size of a country in Europe. Taking that into consideration you will have different cultural beliefs, languages, social interactions.

Also considering the OP on this, one would also have to look at the home structure of the individual. I am a firm believer that a child from a two parent home has a better chance than a child from a single parent home. Not a rule but a factor. It is easier to raise a child when there are two active parents guiding the child. It is harder when there is only one parent.

Just a thought.

LOKI Thanks!!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Spirit
complete once again

Easier, yes.... maybe. It really depends on the situation, the parents involved and the child. There are too many factors that could play a part in determining what is best and what is not.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
Manzcar
WHOOOOOOOOOOS THEEEEEERE!

Tournaments Won: 2

In-Game Name: Same as above
Current Level: Manzcar sndy| Elijaz 2x
Manzcar has disabled reputation
Granted I have seen some amazing single parent moms and dads out there.

Like I said it is not a every single parent child. It is harder on a single parent to work, pay bills, do the shopping, cleaning, teaching, and directing of the child. This is a lot to ask of a single parent.

And when I say single parent I do mean the ones that have little to no support from the other parent. I have seen this in my own family and have taken my beliefs from my own experiences.

LOKI Thanks!!
Old 07-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #10
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
I think it is a bit of both. But then again, I think people should learn how to work it. Make change, adjust. I'll use where the life style begins. High School.

I used to live in a poverish town, I actually went to the nicest High School in town(out of 4). My freshmen class was about 850, my Senior graduating class was 420, and that was the best rate it had been in 5 years, and also, this was the best in the city. That basically means less High Schoolers were graduating in the other schools.

With stereotypes, if you want to have a nice life style and more potential to have a nice future, do not grow up in the city(unless in some cases.. depending on how you were raised).

Urban areas tend to have...
1. Lower class housing
-Increases your chances of living in a not-so-good area
2. More minimum wage jobs available... less higher wage jobs.
-With that... more high school drop outs which means they're less likely to get a nicer job, so adults who should have careers, now have jobs reserved for students.
3. More crime
-getting involved with gangs and getting in trouble with the law=not so good
4. More desperation
-(with lower-class jobs means less money, less money for rent, bills, things you need/want etc) which leads to more theft, drug dealing, etc.
5. Drug problems
-Can lead to a life dealing with drugs... it can lead to felonies which isn't good for record and getting jobs.
-Can lead to life with gangs
-Can lead to a violent life style.(My sister was a crack addict and was almost killed 3 times.. she wasn't raised to be this way)

Ultimately, the cities spend so much money on the people in the city, they do not get the time, nor support(people want help first) to fix it up.

Of course, this is completely avoidable. These are individual choices. But most are convinced they have no chance of rising in society, so they conform with what is around them, and they raise their children to believe so too.

My parents chose to leave. The city isn't always the cheapest place to live. I live in a fairly safe town in a very cheap house.

Last edited by Yosei; 07-25-2008 at 04:17 PM..
Closed Thread