Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 AM   #31
Esen
Mini Jewel Keeper

In-Game Name: Kayem
Current Level: 5X
Server: Teva
Esen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Esen

People can and do die from the flu though.

I do agree some people are overreacting, but it is something we should be concerned about.

zZzZzZzZz
Dragon Cave
Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 PM   #32
DeathMagnetic
Hungry Wolf

DeathMagnetic has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to DeathMagnetic

I'll just leave this here..
Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #33
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
Is that counting the toddler or the teacher from Harlengen? Both of them seem to have had some sort of underlying condition.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #34
kirbysprite
Would you like a fork?

Tournaments Won: 2

In-Game Name: kirbysprite | kirbycoke | kirbyade | kirbypunch
Current Level: 37|21|12|3
kirbysprite has disabled reputation
When a vaccine is released, will any of you guys ever get it as soon as it comes out?

I won't, even if my parents want me to. My biology teacher isn't gonna get it, as soon as it goes out. Their reason is because the vaccine won't have enough time to be tested yet. It may have side-effects that will happen it the way future (like in the move I Am Legend, but lets stay on topic.) So, yeah, I don't want the vaccine when it is released.

Thanks cillia!

ks = kirbysprite
ks =\= kill steal
STOP THE CONFUSION!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #35
Destrus
Lizard Knight

Tournaments Won: 10

In-Game Name: Fyoran
Current Level: 3x
Server: teva
Destrus has a spectacular aura aboutDestrus has a spectacular aura about
i never had a normal flu shot i don't think i'd get one for this one either.

"Broken moves are also vampiric in nature"
Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #36
Triumph
Wiki Head Admin

Deal or No Deal Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: FFXIV
Current Level: 80
Server: Coeurl
Triumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kirbysprite View Post
When a vaccine is released, will any of you guys ever get it as soon as it comes out?

I won't, even if my parents want me to. My biology teacher isn't gonna get it, as soon as it goes out. Their reason is because the vaccine won't have enough time to be tested yet. It may have side-effects that will happen it the way future (like in the move I Am Legend, but lets stay on topic.) So, yeah, I don't want the vaccine when it is released.
It's not like they're going to throw something together and release it...

The I Am Legend virus was a mutated re-engineered virus which obliterated humanity, and is a fictional creation. I doubt that this strain of H1N1 will eliminate 90% of the world's population, and as it's fictional, you cannot compare this mutated H1N1 "the end of humanity."

Furthermore, a vaccine takes time to research and deploy. It's not like they'll have one out tomorrow.

Last edited by Triumph; 05-07-2009 at 12:56 AM..
Old 05-07-2009, 12:58 AM   #37
kirbysprite
Would you like a fork?

Tournaments Won: 2

In-Game Name: kirbysprite | kirbycoke | kirbyade | kirbypunch
Current Level: 37|21|12|3
kirbysprite has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
It's not like they're going to throw something together and release it...

The I Am Legend virus was a mutated re-engineered virus which obliterated humanity, and is a fictional creation. I doubt that this strain of H1N1 will eliminate 90% of the world's population, and as it's fictional, you cannot compare this mutated H1N1 "the end of humanity."

Furthermore, a vaccine takes time to research and deploy. It's not like they'll have one out tomorrow.
Still, yeah they're not going to release one super quick, but they may never know the side-effects of it, even if it's a new vaccine. My bio teacher, told me that there was this one vaccine that all pregnant women took, then 30 years later, most of their kids were schizophrenic. So, you never know.

Thanks cillia!

ks = kirbysprite
ks =\= kill steal
STOP THE CONFUSION!
Old 05-07-2009, 03:42 AM   #38
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
You have to understand that drugs, vaccines and such all have to go under clinical trials before they can be administered to the public. I believe these procedures are very strict and they would have had to gone through several experiments to ensure that things are fine. There are 4-5 phases of clinical trials - I don't exactly remember the details, but I know that one part involves having volunteers to try it out (I think that's the last part. It may sound like "OMG human testing?!?!" but I believe they do several tests before the volunteers get to try it anyway so it's not like "lets try to see if this works in humans!! -injects-").

Granted, there have been "bad accidents" with new drugs back in the past during clinical trials where people had serious side effects... but that's in clinical trials. I don't think they would easily let vaccines go out to the public with "a few tests" and that's it. Unless you're part of the volunteers for these trials.. I kinda doubt it anything would really bad would happen.

That said, everyone can have different responses to vaccines (or any drugs, for that matter) and it may be hard to predict the precise outcome. And I guess accidents will be accidents, where if anything bad did happen, people cannot avoid it (unless experiments/clinical trials/etc weren't carried out properly.. it's happened in the past but I guess we -should have- learnt from mistakes in the past trials o.o). I think with influenza viruses, as long as the "majority" of the population has immunity to it, it'll be okay.

Well. After all that rambling. All I'm trying to say is that if they are ready to distribute a vaccine to the public, it should be relatively safe.

Am I gonna take it? I dunno. This would be several months down the track.

Edit:

I missed this post.
Originally Posted by kirbysprite
Still, yeah they're not going to release one super quick, but they may never know the side-effects of it, even if it's a new vaccine. My bio teacher, told me that there was this one vaccine that all pregnant women took, then 30 years later, most of their kids were schizophrenic. So, you never know.
But that's something hardly anyone can predict, especially when it's something that happens 30 years down the track. Risks like this can't be really avoided imo. You might as well not take any vaccines that are produced from now on if you're worried about something like that.

Last edited by Blaaaaaaaah; 05-07-2009 at 03:46 AM..
Old 05-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #39
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

In-Game Name: yummy
Current Level: skewl
lamchopz has disabled reputation
^ What Blaahs said.

This reminds me of the thalidomide incident where pregnant women were prescirbed the drug to treat morning sickness. It turned out that thalidomide caused limb abnormalities in the infants. The problem is that no one would have been able to predict that.

Only when the situation arises, the problem is brought into everyone's attention, despite prior testing that was done to legitimise the use of a particular drug. Lots of pharmacological agents were approved then withdrawn over the years by the body responsible for releasing the drugs to the general public, e.g. the FDA in America.

The current development of biochemistry and genetic study is not yet adequate to allow us to map all cause-effect relationships pertaining to individual drugs and pathogens. This is why the nature of A(H1N1) is still unclear and to identify its origin as well as to predict that this specific reassortant strain would be infectious is still not possible with our current technology.

The bottomline is yes, it's unfortunate that sometimes accidents happen but for the most part:

Originally Posted by Blaahs
drugs, vaccines and such all have to go under clinical trials before they can be administered to the public.

[...]

if they are ready to distribute a vaccine to the public, it should be relatively safe.
That about sums up what it is happening in our society at the moment.

-------------------------------------------------
Old 05-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #40
pigspark
Baby Werebear

Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: Ultimious, Soul_Aimer
Current Level: 51
Server: apoline
pigspark is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to pigspark Send a message via Yahoo to pigspark
Originally Posted by kirbysprite View Post

they ar busy making a vaccine. i heard from the news

Closed Thread