Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:25 PM   #21
Lyoven
Bored Boar

In-Game Name: Duke
Current Level: Can shout!
Lyoven is on a distinguished road

and once this would be implented, clerics and 1h sword fighters would have an even higher block rate, because then they could block with the shield and even with their weapon

sure, id like to see my char block as well, and yes, some hits can be blocked with any type of weapon (even if a fragile crossbow would prolly shatter) but..

..but then i would also like to see my axe, which im wielding with huge swings - to do damage to all nearby enemys that are crossing its way =)
Old 10-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #22
MagesRequiem
Archon

MagesRequiem is on a distinguished road
If you actually take a look at the higher leveled Wands and Staves you'll notice that they aren't made out of wood. Probably some kind of steel. So it would be quite easy for them to block. And another thing, Staves and Wands are what we Mages use to channel our magic power through. Without one we can not cast spells (with a few minor exceptions). So obviously they must be magical in nature and like I said before magic is stronger than any steel. Giving our weapons some sort of block rate would be completely fair. And Pwnage, we can't kill mobs that quickly. We can drastically reduce their health in a matter of seconds but not quick enough to kill them before they reach us unless their name is gray.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #23
rokaraged
Naiad Demon

In-Game Name: Renin
Current Level: Renin- TEVA THE RENIN ON BIJOU IS A IMPOSTER
Server: SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK!!
rokaraged will become famous soon enoughrokaraged will become famous soon enough
Even if the staff was made out of a the same metal as the staff, do you really think a small stick of metal backed by small flimsy mage arms can block a figther's REDICULOUSLY larger and heavier axe or 2handed sword who the fighter himself is very strong.
The meaning of victory is not to defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his every achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can recover. That is the meaning of victory.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #24
Albireo
Ice Vivi

In-Game Name: Albeir (Also Hyonmaru)
Current Level: 48 estimated lvl if no server downs had occured... 523 AND 27%
Server: Apoline
Albireo is on a distinguished road
Do you think a sword held by a human can stop a massive monster???
A mage could block attacks from a warrior and in most other games they can at least make wards or somthing to increase defense and block.
You have to realize mages dont just use staffs, they can use magic also.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #25
rokaraged
Naiad Demon

In-Game Name: Renin
Current Level: Renin- TEVA THE RENIN ON BIJOU IS A IMPOSTER
Server: SANITY IS FOR THE WEAK!!
rokaraged will become famous soon enoughrokaraged will become famous soon enough
If their blocking by magic then make it should BE LIKE that thier blocking with magic. It should be like like a buff skill that uses SP just like all OTHER magics. If thier using wards, magic or something else to block then really its nothing like blocking with a weapon or shield.

I'm Not at all against character balancing but this isn't how i would picture the way it should be balanced.
The meaning of victory is not to defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his every achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can recover. That is the meaning of victory.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:07 AM   #26
Elrohier
Mara Pirate Sailor

Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: Elrohier
Current Level: 2x
Server: Teva
Elrohier is on a distinguished road
I believe it could work if all weapons got it be I think it would only be fair if warriors still get the most out of it since there more of a tanking class.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:41 AM   #27
Albireo
Ice Vivi

In-Game Name: Albeir (Also Hyonmaru)
Current Level: 48 estimated lvl if no server downs had occured... 523 AND 27%
Server: Apoline
Albireo is on a distinguished road
yeah but a staff, with out any magic, could still block better than say, a
2-hand sword or axe, but worse than a sheild but they still can block.

@rokaraged: im saying they should have a skill, BUT THEY DONT
it could be exactly like the clerics aura to boost def or some other stat for blocking. im just saying they should make it.
and mages dont have flimsy arms (we just arnt as hard-headed as tanks)
Old 10-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #28
Triumph
Wiki Head Admin

Deal or No Deal Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: FFXIV
Current Level: 80
Server: Coeurl
Triumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud of
I still fail to see how a bow can have even the potential to block.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:01 AM   #29
KY_Jelly
Spider

In-Game Name: Unbanned
Current Level: 28
Server: Teva
KY_Jelly is on a distinguished road
everyone who says "how can weapon X block?"

go play soul calibur III. Tira (picture below) blocks with her ring blade and its got a big F'in hole in the middle. If that can block Sigfried's Zwiehander, i think an xbow can block a little slap from a monster.

if ^that can block Vthat, anything's possible

Last edited by KY_Jelly; 10-24-2007 at 06:04 AM..
Old 10-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #30
Dynamics
Karasian Solider

Tournaments Won: 5

In-Game Name: Dynamics
Current Level: OVER NINE THOUSANDDDDDDDDDDDDD!
Server: under your bed
Dynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to all
Blocks don't involve just defending against an enemy's weapons full attack, that would be foolhardy. In reality a competent staff user would try to block a sword user at their weapons hilt, the source of the momentum of the swing. The staff has a much more extensive reach than the sword, so the staff user will take advantage of this and try to disarm the sword user. The sword user's best tactic against this is to repeatedly thrust into the opponent's torso, which would be much harder to defend against for a staff user, and will most likely force him/her to begin evasive maneuvors.

Blocking doesn't always involve negating an enemy attack with your own defense, it can involve offensives as well.

I've already told people that I don't want this thread to discuss how "realistic" it is that a staff or bow block a sword. It's possible, just think outside the square here, they could just be blocking the hilt of the blade by stepping in slightly. With swords, the power becomes less and less as you get closer to the hilt.

I want to discuss how fair you think it would be if this were implemented into the game. Why should the block gained from endurance be exclusive to shield users? Doesn't this turn people off without shields from using their free stats on endurance? By not allowing characters the block from endurance, doesn't it scar overall character versatility? I mean, I was reading a "full end mage" thread the other day, and immediately thought it was absurd because the mage wouldn't benefit from the block, which is the best aspect of the endurance stat in my opinion.
Closed Thread