Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Eru
Marlone Captain

In-Game Name: dunno
Eru has a spectacular aura aboutEru has a spectacular aura about
Slow Fiesta client / lag

Ok, I’m running Windows Vista (not by choice) and recently got the SP1 update.

Ever since then I have *huge* load times when starting the Fiesta client, when going through portals, and when scrolling back to towns. Sometimes (about 40%) the screen will actually go white for about 40-60 seconds, then the music will return, then the screen with my character, then slowly the people and or shrooms around me.

I have also been getting *very* choppy lag, but this is infrequent and was only most noticeable in GC. This may be unrelated?

I have this problem on both Epith and on Teva. I have tried downloading and reinstalling the client and the updates and it did not change anything. Normal Internet usage (video streaming etc…) is still normal. I normally run wireless Internet, but also tried my higher-speed Ethernet hard-line with no difference.

I’ve got plenty of memory(4GB)/video/blahblahblah…tech specs shouldn’t be an issue cause this has never been an issue for the past 2 months. So I’m guessing its one of two things.

1. Something is jacked up on the outspark/server end

2. Something is playing nice between Vista SP1, my video card, and the Fiesta client

So…
Has anyone else been experiencing this problem recently (past few days) ? If so, has anyone found a solution to it?

Old 06-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Dezza
Site Supporter

In-Game Name: Dezza
Current Level: 55/Archer, 35/Cleric, 15/Mage
Server: Bijou [EU]
Dezza will become famous soon enough
Try closing down all programs before playing fiesta. This includes 'power toys' in the system tray, and press ctrl+alt+del and close any non-critical processes there. Also turn aero off and use windows standard/classic/whatever it's called on NT6, and turn any desktop effects off.

See if that helps.

Edit:

Also run regular (I do it daily) virus / spyware / adware / malware scans too to catch any naughty programs that are leeching your system resources.

Edit2:

Also take a look at the resources (?) tab in task manager to see what's using the most memory / CPU time

Last edited by Dezza; 06-20-2008 at 02:41 PM..
Old 06-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Eru
Marlone Captain

Originally Posted by Dezza View Post
Try closing down all programs before playing fiesta. This includes 'power toys' in the system tray, and press ctrl+alt+del and close any non-critical processes there. Also turn aero off and use windows standard/classic/whatever it's called on NT6, and turn any desktop effects off.

See if that helps.

Edit:

Also run regular (I do it daily) virus / spyware / adware / malware scans too to catch any naughty programs that are leeching your system resources.

Edit2:

Also take a look at the resources (?) tab in task manager to see what's using the most memory / CPU time
yep...I've been doing all that since day one

Old 06-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Dezza
Site Supporter

In-Game Name: Dezza
Current Level: 55/Archer, 35/Cleric, 15/Mage
Server: Bijou [EU]
Dezza will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Eruantien View Post
yep...I've been doing all that since day one
In that case I don't know what else to suggest, having the good fortune to be using NT5.1 (would be even better if I could get fiesta to work under wine, but shh)
Old 06-21-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
MaxOff
Zombie

MaxOff will become famous soon enoughMaxOff will become famous soon enough
most likley driver incombality. get the newest graphic card drivers
Old 06-21-2008, 03:03 AM   #6
Dynamics
Karasian Solider

Tournaments Won: 5

In-Game Name: Dynamics
Current Level: OVER NINE THOUSANDDDDDDDDDDDDD!
Server: under your bed
Dynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to all
Most likely a conflict with SP1 and Fiesta I'd say. I suggest you rollback SP1, I believe the security risks wouldn't be large, as I trust you know how to look after your computer and avoid suspicious sites from reading your post.

Another possible solution if you have a dual core processor is to change Fiesta's process affinity to 1 via the task manager (Task manager > Processes > "Right click" Fiesta.bin > Affinity 1. This changes the processors working simultaneously on the Fiesta client from 2 to 1. Fiesta isn't well catered for dual core processors.

Originally Posted by Destrus
dual core cpu + game pains
solved

this seems to work pretty well: http://www.geocities.com/edgemeal_so...nity/index.htm

haven't gotten the chance to test it with everything yet but it worked for flyff. see first my problem was just with 7hearts and nostale. i had to set the affinity but not too much of a problem though i wished i had something to do it for me every time. but then, i was trying to play flyff and 2moons. both seemed to be doing fine at first but today i tried to play my psy and of course CRASHBSODRESTART. then in 2moons i moved on to another area and fought for a while but then CRASHBSODRESTART. and the biggest problem with these two games was THEY BOTH USE GAMEGUARD AND THEIR PROCESSES ARE HIDDEN. so yea, no rightclicksetaffinity for me.

so then i turned to trusty google and i got that little tool. it lets me set programs to favorites so that it automatically sets the affinity when the process starts. since i knew which processes it was (tyantivirusbuggingmeforpermissions) i was able to set nostalex.dat, neuz.exe, and the 2moons file (can't remember the name now lol) to automatically set to 1. and it worked pretty weel for flyff though i need to check on a weird lag issue that may or may not have anything to do with it.
Quoted above is a program that will do this automatically when you run processes. Useful if a process refuses access to alt+tab functions.

Last edited by Dynamics; 06-21-2008 at 03:06 AM..
Old 06-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #7
MaxOff
Zombie

MaxOff will become famous soon enoughMaxOff will become famous soon enough
when u set the Processor Affinity to 1, it means that only the 2nd core is used.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Eru
Marlone Captain

Very cool guys!!!
I will try the dual core thing first as that is the easiest...

If that does not change anything then I will also rollback SP1.

I'll also post my findings in case there are any other poor saps out there running vista that are getting screwed

Edit:
Hey, while I was in mucking around with the affinity setting, I also noticed a "priority" setting. Has anyone had experience setting this to either "High" or "Realtime" for fiesta.bin?

Last edited by Eru; 06-21-2008 at 06:23 PM..
Old 06-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #9
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
I've tried changing the priority before.

Refused to budge.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
undeadmith
Bored Imp

Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: yourboma
Current Level: to lame to edit constantly
Server: teva/apoline
undeadmith is on a distinguished road
i use vista also and got also the white screen and stuff
but i don't really mind anymore once the screen is loaded i don't got problems sometimes laggy but not all the time
(you clean your RAM often? i once had 1.9G byte temp memory )

ps: you also think sometimes you comp is more a hely than a computer?

fight in the name of metal

Closed Thread