Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #21
Mindspank
Flying Staff

In-Game Name: Mindspank
Current Level: 103 Sharpshooter
Server: Bijou
Mindspank will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Mindspank

Oh I understand completely, and in no way, shape or form did I mean to come off as abbrasive or combative twards FF policy. I know what you mean.

Im just being the devils advocate on this issue. Im not PLAYING devils advocate as I actually feel like this guy should be smeared, but I do respect the rules and guidelines of the boards which is why I stated that its my "personal preference" to attack this individual every opportunity I get. Now by attack, allow me to elaborate on this further.

I know what guild he is in, I know some of the members. Not personaly but I have had some "transactions" as you would call them. Anyways. I would never attempt to ruin the reputation of the guild in which this member was in at the time of the scam. Judging by the members of that guild I have encountered, they will ruin their own reputation in due time. But based on conversations I had with said scammer, mind you after I PK'd the crap out of him, players of his sort need to be put on their own server so they can rip eachother off, and leave well enough alone the players trying to do the right thing. Outspark doesnt follow through on reports of scams regarding in game items and currency for sparkcash services, like enhancing, because it is against the Terms of Service to begin with and frowned upon mainly for the high probability of a scammer to profit.

So with that being said, I personaly feel that it is up to the community itself to look after other players by fore warning players about the misdeeds of others, be it on FiestaFan or in the game itself. I do, however, realize that because these are my "personal" feelings they in no way, shape or form reflect the views or opinions of the FiestaFan community, their moderators or administrators. But also being the victim of a scam myself, it is comforting to know that there are players out there that are on your side, and will go out of their way to make the offenders uncomfortable about the things they did. Just to show them that because while yes, this is a game, you are dealing with real people and witht hat being said, there will always be negative rammifications when committing negative acts.

I guess I tend to get overzealous when it comes to killstealers , PK Griefers and Scam Artists.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Fiesta - Mindspank - Bijou - 103 Sharpshooter
Aion - Mindspank - Israphel - 65 Ranger
Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #22
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Server: Teva
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
I understand what you are saying, and I don't believe that neither you or cillia or Shiirn would speak down on a player for nothing, but the policy is just there to prevent any cases in which a member might come here and blacklist other members for the fun of it. We cannot allow some members to list names because we personally trust them, while not allowing other members to come here and list names because we don't trust them. It's also to prevent rumours flying around and starting up here on FF.

It's also difficult to draw the line in which cases can the players be named, and which can not. There are far too many factors to take into account when trying to determine which is okay to name people, plus a big chunk of trying to determine if the info is reliable a lot comes from whether you personally trust the person or not. Since mods/admins can't speak for the whole community, we decided to put the policy there.

I do agree that we should be responsible for who we believe and interpreting what's true or false ourselves, but it's a game forum after all and there are young kids that roam around here who might not be able to see situations like this as neutrally/maturely as the older members.

Plus, I personally think that if you really want others to not be scammed, knowing the person's name isn't entirely useful. Members need to understand what has happened and why it has happened to prevent being scammed themselves. Sure, knowing the name might stop them from getting scammed by the same person, but if they don't understand the "concept", it won't really stop them from being scammed by other people online.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #23
Mindspank
Flying Staff

Touché

Old 02-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #24
GentleGiant
Speedy Slime

In-Game Name: HappyEndOfYou
Current Level: 36
GentleGiant is on a distinguished road
I said it once... I'll say it again and elaborate a bit.
In the eyes of the majority of the Fiesta community, I'm pretty much on par with Methuselah as far as age goes. I turn 40 on the 17th of March. My lovely wife is 2 1/2 years behind me. I've been an MMO player since just after the launch of the 2nd expansion for the original EverQuest back in 2000. Does this make me a foremost authority or expert on anything? Not at all, but it does help to have been "around the block" a few times, if you will.

When Sony launched EQ2 back in 2004/2005, we switched to that game the week after release. That is still our favorite MMO but it is also a habit where we are forced to spend $66 per month to have access to all of our adventuring and trade-skill toons. We haven't been able to reliably afford that much lately, so after trying a few different "free" MMOs we settled on Fiesta.

I bring up all this back story because of something the EverQuest 2 community came up with. There is a site for that game called eq2flames which is one of the most popular among the EQ2 community. It was set up specifically because Sony's official game forums were moderated in such a heavy-handed fashion that any complaints - be they against the game, against scammers, against plat farmers, anything negative at all - were pretty much either locked or deleted immediately.

The eq2flames site is chock full of very helpful information, guides and suggestions, and there are specific areas where obvious noobs cannot be overly criticized for asking what some may think are silly questions. Everyone has to play nice in many areas of the site. However, there are also forums where it is open season on corrupt guilds, players, farmers, etc.... For example, extremely annoying players can be blacklisted in the "Rate-A-Retard" section. Threads must name the character(s) in question and their server in the title, and screen shots/videos/copies of chat logs are all encouraged. The community can rate each OP on a 1-5 star system. This way, the obvious bs posts sink like rocks but the genuinely good ones stay around for a while. Similarly, there is a section for bad guilds called Your Guild Sucks, and one for Chinese farmers/currency sellers called The Farmer's Almanac.

Yes, there is some degree of blatant stupidity on the site, but in my humble opinion a lot of really shady people have been disgraced out of the game because of this website and the community as a whole is better for it. EQ2's community is, I would guess, somewhat older than the one here in Fiesta, so running a similar site for this game would require more work, but I feel it would be the best possible way to drive the bums out of the game so that the more ethical players will have a better experience.

If I knew how to set up a website that didn't look like it was designed in 1995, and could afford the bandwidth, I would set up a site like that for Fiesta yesterday! Sadly, there's just no way for me to do it either financially or from a HTML-knowledge standpoint, so we're stuck with blacked-out names. I can understand why Outspark won't allow such things on their forums and I also understand why this site won't either. But nonetheless, I think such a site would have its place given how this game is growing by leaps and bounds. We like the game a lot and don't plan to leave any time soon. Just my two cents and I also apologize for a huge wall of text.
MoarShooz4WPlz - 2x Mage
GoBuffYourself - Cleric (and extra storage)
Old 02-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #25
Enraya
WONDERARCHER

Server: Teva
Enraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I can understand why Outspark won't allow such things on their forums and I also understand why this site won't either.
I think you've got things twisted there o_o Officials DO allow blacklisting, which is why it has a large amount of flames and constant arguing in each of the servers' sections.

I don't mind blacklisting personally, because I'd like to watch out for these people if they're on my server, but I can see that it might cause a lot of flames if the person being accused is browsing the forum or one of their friends are. FF is a pretty small community, so chances of that happening is pretty miniscule, but you never know xD

... then again, I have guild forums to rant in LOL. So I wouldn't mind much if screens must be editted and etc. in All the Rage.

If someone is serious about flaming, officials might be better for them. Easy road to losing brain cells if you end up arguing with someone who can't spell/think though xD

{ enraya ! }
Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
Mindspank
Flying Staff

If a website like this exsisted for Fiesta, you wouldnt need to pay for bandwidth. You would have advertisers chomping at the bit for space on your site because you would be getting more hits than google the day after a celebrity crotch shot hit the web.

Closed Thread