Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
Yosei's Guide to All Things Mage-like

This is my guide for mages! Need help deciding on what to do with your mage??? Maybe this will help you! I will touch all details of the mages job, and try to simplify them for you! So here we go..

This is based off of my build. I am a mage about DoT not DPS, and saving SP. People often ask me why I have so much money. My build is why.

Preferred Builds

25 SPR, rest into INT(hybrid)
Full INT (full damage)
1:2 END:INT(Solo/GW mage)
+9ing all armor can make any of these builds unstoppable. But of course that is costly. You really cannot go wrong with a mage build, unless you do no INT or you add STR.

I personally recommend full INT or INT/25SPR. You get a little more damage with full INT, and with 25 SPR put in, you get a little more m-def, SP, and crit rate.

Empowerments
These are not limited to this.
Magic Missile- cooldown(for spamming while other skills cool)
Firebolt- cooldown and/or SP decrease and/or Damage
(I later took away my empowerments for Firebolt when I got Frost Nova and Inferno, I don't use it much)
Magic Burst- SP decrease and/or cooldown(if you aoe a lot, but empowerments will be pointless once you have Nova and Inferno)
Magic Blast- damage and/or SP consumption.
Nova Frost- SP decrease and/or damage
Inferno- SP decrease and/or cooldown
Lightning Bolt(for Bright Kingdom players only)- Duration time(it stuns in BK)

With the rest of the skills, most mages do not empower them, unless its personal preference, which any empowerment should be personal preference.

Weapons

If you want more Damage, use a wand, if you want more crits and AIM, use a staff. You get to choose between the two when level 20+

Most mages use a wand.

Equips
Look for rings that have SPR/END/INT stats in them, dex is a plus, and it becoming more in demand, but it is usually just a plus. Ideal rings would be Brave Elderine Ring, Ghost Knight Ring, and Jewel Keepers ring. With earrings, any kind is nice. Necklaces really aren't necessary, unless you're a soloing mage, but if you do want a necklace, aim for poison/illness resistant necklaces, debuff necklaces are pointless since we have dispel, but other illnesses like poison and periodic bleeding can kill us.

Tab bar skill set up

This is based off of my preferences and how often I use each skill. I used 2 bars. Note, you might not have some of these skills yet. This is just recommendations.
I use mostly lower leveled skills. They ultimately do more damage, and they save you mad amounts of SP and ultimately, money.
Bar 1
magice missile 1
fire bolt 1
magic blast(highest level, if you don't have it, use the next skill)
Nova Frost(highest level)
Inferno(highest level)
Magic Burst (highest level)
Chain cast
Fear

Then any other attack skills.. although I find the rest attack-time consuming, since they have to load and they have quite the loading time.

Fill up the others as you please! I usually have two bars up, the second one I do...
HP POT
SP POT
Scrolls
Rest of my non-attack skills (dispel and pvp skills)
rider

Production skills
You will need these a lot as a mage. They are very helpful.
-SP/HP potion production skill(if you feel like only serving yourself, this isn't much of a money-making business since they also drop from mobs)
-Scrolls (big but good money maker in the long run and you will always need scrolls)

Combos
Soloing
If you have room to kite, please do so!(running with the mob chasing you)
Ice bolt/blast(highest level)
(If you're 60+ I'd fear next, if not, dismiss this for the time being)
magic missile 1
fire bolt 1
(If you have magic blast, cast this next)
Then repeat with 2 MM1s, FB1, and if you have magic blast, then magic blast. If no magic blast, then repeat with just MM1 and FB1.

Parties(1v1)
I mainly used magic missile 1, and firebolt 1. The others were SP consuming and they had long cool times. When I got magic blast, I used that too. I combinated them by their cool times, so that I would not have to wait in between.

If you have any slowing skills such as Fear or Stifle. Please use them to help out the tank and cleric!

Parties 2(AOEing)
Without Nova Frost/Inferno
Magic Burst(highest level)
(spam mm1 and fb1 til it cools)
Magic Missile 1
Repeat

With Frost Nova/Inferno
Chain cast
Frost Nova
Frost Nova
Inferno(if you have it)
Magic Burst
Frost Nova
(cast mm1 and fb1 while all the aoe skills are cooling)
Inferno(If you have it)
Magic Burst(If you don't have Inferno.. use this twice)
Repeat

If there are two or more mages, combos shouldn't be needed.

Follow my guide, and you will be an SP and money saving mage!

In Kingdom Quests
Stock up on HP pots/stone. Clerics will be busy healing tanks, so note, you're not on the top of their priorities. Use HP scrolls in King Slime, Mara, GoldHill, and Mini-Dragon. Why not the others? You will die. It is just a waste of scrolls.
When in a fight with more than 2 mobs at a time, it is time to aoe. Don't wait for tanks to ask for it.
When in Mini-Dragon, always attack the bosses. DO NOT attack the other mobs that it spawns. But in the others, it is important to get smaller mobs killed off first.
When in King Kong Phino, aoe the mobs that spawn. As a tip, learn the pattern of the boss spawns at the end if you don't want to aggro. At the end, Robo spawns and if your aoe hits him at the right time, he will come after you.

Job Change 1
Scrolls: HP, Evasion, Defense, M-Defense.
LOTS of SP and HP pots and scrolls.
DO NOT take off your armor. This doesn't work out well for mages. Nor do I recommend removing your weapon.
Watch your HP like a hawk, especially when your clone starts to cast Magic Blast(the bright skill). Kill the Marlone archer and Fighter when in the dark room, just look around and you will find them. When you get into the last room, wait for the stone goblin to spawn and kill it first before approaching your clone. When more spawn when fighting your clone, kill the goblin before continuing the fight with your clone.

Job Change 2
Scrolls: HP(any tiers, I got tier 2), tier 2 AIM, tier 2 defense, evasion.
Cleric Buff
LOTS of HP pots and stones, only use SP stones, you shouldn't need these as much.
Use the AOE Combo I reccomended for Parts 1 and 2, they are easy. When you get to part 3, run up to the mobs when they spawn and cast magic burst, you just keep spamming it to kill the mobs, except if you're taking on one monster. They don't have much HP. Watch your HP like a hawk though, especially when its down to the last few minutes, the mobs will get larger, and while the hits are small, its MANY hits and your HP will be going down fast.

Last edited by Yosei; 05-26-2009 at 04:46 PM..
Old 01-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
a.L
A to the R to the K

a.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud of
Just wondering about the skills. Power decrease?

Other than that, nice guide. =]
Old 01-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
A_Forever
:w

Good Job Yosei o.o -Claps-
Old 01-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #4
Yosei
Corgi Addict

Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Yes, power decrease.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Triumph
Wiki Head Admin

Deal or No Deal Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: FFXIV
Current Level: 80
Server: Coeurl
Triumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud of
Well written.

One wording error that you might want to fix, however.

Frost Nova instead of Nova Frost. >_<
Old 01-07-2008, 12:11 AM   #6
Rightclaw
DFO has my heart <3

Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: Yuki ^o^
Current Level: Yuki ^o^
Server: Yuki ^o^
Rightclaw has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Rightclaw
Very nice, but what is Power Decrease? o_O
Old 01-07-2008, 12:43 AM   #7
Yosei
Corgi Addict

Sp >_<
Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Server: Teva
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by wackyboi View Post
Just wondering about the skills. Power decrease?

Other than that, nice guide. =]
Originally Posted by Yosei View Post
Yes, power decrease.
Originally Posted by Rightclaw View Post
Very nice, but what is Power Decrease? o_O
Originally Posted by Yosei View Post
Sp >_<
Oh man that cracked me up! LOL!

I'm surely going to follow this guide if I ever make a mage. xD
Old 01-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In most MMOs, your SP is referred to as your power or mana.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:14 AM   #10
O-mie
Lilian's Maid

Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: Omies (5x Cleric) Fable (4x Archer)
Current Level: OVER 900000000
Server: Teva
O-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to O-mie Send a message via MSN to O-mie
I've seen it referred to as SP quite often. Never heard of it as "Power".

"Stand up for what you believe is right, even if you're standing alone."

Omies [5x Cleric] Fable [4x Archer] Omie [1x Mage] Wigglytuff [2x Fighter]
Teva

Nakama //GrandPaprika // Symphony
O-mie's Art Gallery || Sketch-Blog

Closed Thread