Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #41
EdwardWarlock
Zombie

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: Edward_Warlock
Current Level: Enchanted Warlock 8x, my other players are just production whores.
Server: Apoline
EdwardWarlock is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EdwardWarlock

Mage questions! I love it!

Yeah, you all have very valid points.
I myself, have been playing my Enchanter from the jump, I've reset points numerous times, and I've PvP'd a bunch. So I'll just give you my spill on PvP:

Lesson 1: Never PvP a Paladin above 75. You can't kill them under any circumstances, unless you are 85+ with a BK wand (and it will still be hard). They can't kill you either if you have good equips, but they will outlast you.

Lesson 2: INT means all. Try to find gear with INT boost to jack up your MDMG.

Lesson 3: PvP under 60 is tough and you will surely die, due to the fact that you have nothing to stop someone from rushing you. After 60, you get Drain Mind (Fear), Frost Nova (extra AOE damage), and Chain Cast (chuck those sniper spells back to back without cool down).

Lesson 4:
Enchance you gear for maximum protection. END is good, but a fighter will carve through it in about 2-3 attacks. If you can, ask around about a fighter's DEF at your level and enhance your gears to match it (or get really close to it). I costs a bundle, but you will never be an effective pvp Enchanter unless you spend some serious gold (ask FatalLace she got crazy items). It took me a while to figure out, but I hung around Uruga for hours writing down different armor statistics to find out how much DEF a Scout, Warrior and Paladin gets from their armor at certain intervals, and then with +9 gears. I assume my opponents are enhanced, so I do damage calculations based on that before the fight. If he/she isn't wearing a SparkCash suit, you can pretty much gauge their DEF depending on the clothes somewhat (blue boots=lvl 60 ish, purple/white boots=lvl 80-ish)....Which leads to:

Lesson 5:
Enhance your weapon! Haven't seen a good pvp Enchanter that didn't have his/her weapon +9. That extra damage rips right through your enemies' defense, and you'll need it. Thank goodness every other class has a slightly lower magic defense rating than mages, because it helps in destroying them.

Lesson 6:
Critical helps. I played with the SPR build and it seems like the criticals weren't coming like they should. Switch to INT and the random criticals came about the same rate (in my opinion), but I did a lot more damage due to the extra INT. I found some excellent gears with high INT and backup END/DEX and I +9'd them. Archers will nail you regardless (high DEX), but Fighters with axes, Clerics with hammers, and Mages with wands tend to miss a lot more often when the DEX on gears goes above 70+. END will help you survive attacks that normally kill mages in 1 or 2 hits, but only for one extra hit or two if you get lucky, so time those restones/pots accordingly.

Lesson 7:
Kiss your keyboard if you get back to back criticals in pvp. You'll be lucky if this happens, because your opponent will either be dead or close. Remember which spells do the most damage and the casting times for each, and which spells can be cast while running to buy time while in cool down for other spells if you your opponent survives your initial onslaught.

Lesson 8:
Don't cast Nova or Inferno unless you got the HP to do so. I've killed many a mage by standing outside the blast radius and using sniper spells (Magic Blast, Fire Bolt, Fireball) while they set up the spell(s). Most fighters HP are so high that they won't care and they'll rush in and Devastate your ass, and most mages are good as dead afterwards. I normally let them chase me to a corner, fear them, let them run in a tight spot (so they don't run too far outside of the AOE blast radius), cast Nova, Chain Cast, Inferno, Nova, and Inferno again. You can even throw in some Magic Burst in between this combo if they are close already, and you have +9 gears, and some HP potions. A fighter around the same level range as you will be close to dying, even with a restone. Don't try this with archers though, because they can pelt you with arrows from outside the casting range like a mage because of the distance factor.

Lesson 9:
Practice. You're going to die....alot. Find out what works for you, in terms of combos, and what to do when you miss or you go into cool down, and how to use the status spells (Mana Burn, Purge, Stifle, Fear, Spell Steal, etc.) correctly. Find out the best way to cast AOE's because they are time consuming to set up and most players won't care because you so squishy. Prove them wrong and dance over their dead bodies.

* I am only heard by those who will listen. *

Edward_Warlock on MySpace

Last edited by EdwardWarlock; 03-18-2009 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: Added some points.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:10 AM   #42
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Server: Teva
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by EdwardWarlock View Post
Lesson 8: [/B] Don't cast Nova or Inferno unless you got the HP to do so. I've killed many a mage by standing outside the blast radius and using sniper spells (Magic Blast, Fire Bolt, Fireball) while they set up the spell(s). Most fighters HP are so high that they won't care and they'll rush in and Devastate your ass, and most mages are good as dead afterwards. I normally let them chase me to a corner, fear them, let them run in a tight spot (so they don't run too far outside of the AOE blast radius), cast Nova, Chain Cast, Inferno, Nova, and Inferno again. You can even throw in some Magic Burst in between this combo if they are close already, and you have +9 gears, and some HP potions. A fighter around the same level range as you will be close to dying, even with a restone. Don't try this with archers though, because they can pelt you with arrows from outside the casting range like a mage because of the distance factor.
Been there done that!!! Damn, I get so annoyed at myself when I tried to use Nova in PvP. I never use it now, I haven't found the "right" way to use it in PvP yet (except in PvP KQ, I'd use it if someone is hiding in an ice from me). After failing with nova several times, I refuse to use it in PvP now. I only use it to slow people down and escape if I don't have fear LOL

I love to PvP with my mage ._. but I'm not rich enough to afford good stuff, so I only do average in PvP. Though I only like it more in PvP KQ... I never get much good experiences out of FBZ.

I just really really really really realllllyyyy hate archers with +9 everything. Even when I fear them and gain more distance, they still find a way to hit me from really far. Talk about h4x range. Good tip is to use manaburn after they use a SP stone. My bf who once played an archer hated that a lot from a mage, so I tried it myself and it did save me... for a little while.

I've been trying to think of a way to win archers without having to +9 everything but I guess there isn't a way. Fighters are actually not THAT problematic once you get 60+. As long as you get to them before they stun, you would either be able to kill them or escape.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #43
EdwardWarlock
Zombie

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: Edward_Warlock
Current Level: Enchanted Warlock 8x, my other players are just production whores.
Server: Apoline
EdwardWarlock is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to EdwardWarlock
Originally Posted by Blaaaaaaaah View Post
Been there done that!!! Damn, I get so annoyed at myself when I tried to use Nova in PvP. I never use it now, I haven't found the "right" way to use it in PvP yet (except in PvP KQ, I'd use it if someone is hiding in an ice from me). After failing with nova several times, I refuse to use it in PvP now. I only use it to slow people down and escape if I don't have fear LOL

I love to PvP with my mage ._. but I'm not rich enough to afford good stuff, so I only do average in PvP. Though I only like it more in PvP KQ... I never get much good experiences out of FBZ.

I just really really really really realllllyyyy hate archers with +9 everything. Even when I fear them and gain more distance, they still find a way to hit me from really far. Talk about h4x range. Good tip is to use manaburn after they use a SP stone. My bf who once played an archer hated that a lot from a mage, so I tried it myself and it did save me... for a little while.

I've been trying to think of a way to win archers without having to +9 everything but I guess there isn't a way. Fighters are actually not THAT problematic once you get 60+. As long as you get to them before they stun, you would either be able to kill them or escape.
Aw man you sound like me! I hate archers! People don't realize how much damage they do to single target, and how much damage they can withstand from attacks with +9 equipment. Some of the player in my guild are capped and soon to be capped and the damage they cause is insane, not to mention the DoTs and the high critical rate.

* I am only heard by those who will listen. *

Edward_Warlock on MySpace

Old 03-18-2009, 02:58 AM   #44
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

I am guessing that archers are only a problem to mages. Since fighters have more HP and more HP stones, they can withstand the poisons and such without too much of a problem. Clerics, well. Don't need to say much about that.

It's annoying for mages because we have so little HP stones, and too little HP to survive the bleed/poisons. Maybe if I had more HP stones, it would be a bit better... in a PvP KQ full of archers, I had 2 HP stones left .___.

But I guess that's how it is. Archers annoy mages, mages annoy fighters, fighters annoy clerics (and maybe archers), clerics... no comment.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #45
MagicBear
Slow Slime

In-Game Name: EchoBear / RadioBear
Current Level: 60 / 62
MagicBear is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Blaaaaaaaah View Post
I am guessing that archers are only a problem to mages. Since fighters have more HP and more HP stones, they can withstand the poisons and such without too much of a problem. Clerics, well. Don't need to say much about that.

It's annoying for mages because we have so little HP stones, and too little HP to survive the bleed/poisons. Maybe if I had more HP stones, it would be a bit better... in a PvP KQ full of archers, I had 2 HP stones left .___.

But I guess that's how it is. Archers annoy mages, mages annoy fighters, fighters annoy clerics (and maybe archers), clerics... no comment.
Yes...Fighters eat archers too. Lmao
Old 03-18-2009, 05:39 AM   #46
a.L
A to the R to the K

a.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud of
I don't like fighters with extenders.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 AM   #47
Shiirn
Boar

In-Game Name: Typewritten - Uber Fail Archer of Doom
Current Level: ∞
Server: Bijou
Shiirn is on a distinguished road
As pvping with both an archer and a fighter, i must say this:

Archers can destroy mages 1v1...archers haved much more mdef then fighters and their dots are wicked on the class with the lowers natural HP.

Fighters, however, are a tossup. There's basically two types of PvP fighters that i've noticed: The complete destroyer, and the defensive destroyer.

The complete destroyer heavily favors STR/DEX/END armors, and their damage is very, very high and can kill quite quickly. However, these fighters have absolutely horrid mdef and a mage can 3-5 hit them, killing them before they even get close. Their regular defense can be high enough that an archer can't kill them...Thes are the most common fighters below 85.

After 85, most fighters realize that even though they can destroy an opponent in 3-4 hits, it doesn't matter if they die before they get there. This is when fighters start pumping END/SPR equips. Because a fighter's mdef is so low (At level 87, arun had less then 500mdef with no SPR equips), any SPR they toss on their armors helps an insane amount (Arun's full SPR +0 equips for anti-mages raises her mdef to almost 800, and tossing on an mdef scroll gets her over 1k), causing a mage to deal only half as much damage while she deals only slightly less in comparison.

For 73+ mages, stifle is a MUST SPAM. ALWAYS. It utterly destroys and real pvp fight against a fighter (Really, a devestate that takes 4 seconds to cast and doesnt stun until the mage is 5 seconds away, on top of other skills being totally and utterly useless).

Having experienced different mage tactics against my fighter and archer, I've noticed that the mages who conserve their spells are much scarier. A mage that casts stiffle and waits out the duration while tossing some weak spells on you, and then chaincasts fear and blasts you to hell. By the time you're out of the chaincasted fear, and not dead already, they should be able to run from you long enough to be able to cast stiffle again. Not to mention mana burning right before a stiffled deva/power shot, and purging/stealing those annoying vit/mdef/aim scrolls.

Bijou
Lvl 89 Fighter == Arun
Lvl 87 Archer == Typewritten
Lvl 75 Mage == Rewrite
Lvl 66 Paladin == Shiirn
Goal:Get 1 gem before cap raise.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:36 AM   #48
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

MOTIVATION FOR LEVEL 73 GOGOGOGOGOGO!

I thought stifle was one of those long CD skills, so I didn't know you could actually spam them... If you empower both duration and CD of stifle.. that means your opponents need to kill you in 24 seconds (which.. I guess isn't too hard if you manage to stun mages and stop them from moving around).

But then again, I don't think I'll be spending 10 points in stifle, as much as I'd love to. xD
Old 03-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #49
FutureKnight
Phino

In-Game Name: FutureKnight
Current Level: 87
Server: Epith
FutureKnight is on a distinguished road
Does any1 here know Nana in Teva? cuz she pwn's all classes in 10 sec O.O strongest fighter i've seen so far..

_chronical_ Mage | lvl 69 | 4.3k hp | 900def | 1,5k m.dmg | Status : Banned

Mainproof Fighter | lvl 70 | 4.3k axe hp/4,6k shield hp| 1,2k axe def | 2,7k dmg | Status : Banned

iPerv | lvl 64 | 3,6k hp | 700 def | 1.8k m.dmg | Status : Retired & Gearless

Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 AM   #50
MikeyG
Touch all the butts

Tournaments Won: 10

In-Game Name: lnfamous
Current Level: 6x
MikeyG has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeyG
Originally Posted by HPhealer View Post
uuhhm END/INT is the best build for a low and high lvl mage,i dont know yet if its good for pvp (i am trying it on my lvl 23 mage)
Completely wrong. All of you need to learn to play a mage.

A good solo/pve mage is the best with the regular builds of pure int or 25 spr rest int, with high end / +9 gear.. or if you completely cant afford that a pure end mage with high int gear.

But free stat end for a pvp mage? I think not.

I'd go for the standard pure int or spr/int... why would u need end for pvp?

Use your heads peeople.

Quote:
Archers can destroy mages 1v1...archers haved much more mdef then fighters and their dots are wicked on the class with the lowers natural HP.

Must be a shitty mage if your getting destroyed by archers.
If there so good at 1v1 with mage tell me why I brought down 7x and 8x archers when I was 69 ? :S

Only time you wanna drop nova/inferno is if your a: fighting an archer or b: fighting a cleric. Clerics you want to chain cast inferno and nova on being that if you fear its still hard to drop them because of there m defence and they have to stay beside you to atk you so there going to stand in thee aoes.

Last edited by MikeyG; 03-18-2009 at 10:03 AM..
Closed Thread