Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Old 10-15-2007, 06:47 AM   #1
Pritcher
Senior Torturer

Pritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Pritcher Send a message via MSN to Pritcher Send a message via Yahoo to Pritcher
Folding@Home

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who hasn't heard of this and may be interested.

Folding@Home is a pretty cool little program that you can run in the background of your computer or Playstation 3. It is a low priority process so it will not preempt anything else you're doing; it just uses the unused cpu cycles when you're idle or you can set it to only run when the screen saver is going. I've been running it pretty much constantly on both of my machines for months and I've never noticed any sort of performance hit even when playing games, while editing video or anything else that requires heavy cpu use.

What it does is basically takes a project and breaks it into small work units that it assigns to systems running the program. You're computer works on its assigned unit in the background whenever you're idle then sends the completed unit back to be put into the big project. Basically it bands many personal computers into a sort of massive super-computer used to simulate protein folding, among other things, which is useful for a number things including furthering research on the cures for a number of diseases like Alzheimer's, Huntington's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis and a number of forms of cancer.

You can also create or join teams that rank it's members. Teams and ranks really don't mean anything though; just fosters a competitive spirit which can help people get more into it and get more done. The official FiestaFan.com Folding@Home team number is 90021 if you want to join it.

Anyway, I just think it's a really cool thing. It doesn't hurt anything and has the potential to do a lot of good. Check it out if you got a minute. They also have an FAQ or an article on Wikipedia if you wanna read more.

Last edited by Pritcher; 10-16-2007 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: Added the FiestaFan.com team information.
Pritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 AM   #2
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Server: Teva
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Longest MoS post ever! I'm a uni now and is going to head off to my lecture in about 1 minute, so I'll check it out when I go home. Just throwing that random comment out there.

I just like seeing long posts in MoS for some reason. :3
Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
O-mie
Lilian's Maid

Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: Omies (5x Cleric) Fable (4x Archer)
Current Level: OVER 900000000
O-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to O-mie Send a message via MSN to O-mie
o-o Hrm~

"Stand up for what you believe is right, even if you're standing alone."

Omies [5x Cleric] Fable [4x Archer] Omie [1x Mage] Wigglytuff [2x Fighter]
Teva

Nakama //GrandPaprika // Symphony
O-mie's Art Gallery || Sketch-Blog

O-mie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
coz a spam looks meaningful for once? keke

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Hessah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
Pritcher
Senior Torturer

Pritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Pritcher Send a message via MSN to Pritcher Send a message via Yahoo to Pritcher
Well since it isn't anything about the game I figured in the context of this website it was spam.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Originally Posted by Hessah View Post
coz a spam looks meaningful for once? keke
I realised that Pritcher tends to make anything sound meaningful.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #7
Administrator
Administrator

Administrator is on a distinguished road
I've been running folding at home for over a year now. It's not hard to create a team, and it's for a good cause so I made an official FiestaFan.com Folding @ Home team. To join just enter team # 90021 as your team number. You can see the team page here: http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/m...&teamnum=90021
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Pritcher
Senior Torturer

Cool.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #9
Zotius
Spade Guard Trumpy

Tournaments Won: 1

Zotius is on a distinguished road
Hmm that's nice. I'll go try it out now.

Last edited by Zotius; 10-15-2007 at 08:57 AM..
Zotius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Interesting. It's for research on protein folding?

-Thinks about my protein lectures-
-Dies from boredom-

Still not sure how this works but I guess I'll see in a few minutes! Can you only join one team at a time?

Weeee just downloaded and installed. So I just let it run in the background?

Last edited by Blaaaaaaaah; 10-15-2007 at 10:21 AM..
Blaaaaaaaah is offline   Reply With Quote