Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Old 11-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
Lirange
Bad Kid

Argh, wireless router help

So I went to walmart today, hoping to buy a wireless router. We ended up not buying once since we were kinda unclear on what to get and didn't have enough money. So theres 3 types of routers, highest being an n and lowerst a g. It said that the g is only good for like.. sucky stuff. Like browsing the web, checking your email, simple stuff like that. It said it couldn't even stream videos. And the N does everything, including gaming...which is a must for me. Well how accurate are these g and n things? And if i buy a wireless router i'll also need to buy a flash drive looking thingy that finds wifi for me right? Only for my desktop pc though because i believe my sister has a built in thingy in her laptop, because when we try to get a connection, we see lots of wifi, but it's secured. =[ But when she's at campus she gets their wifi. So i'll only need it on my desktop correct?
And the n one cost like, a hundred bucks!D: just for the router>.>

Btw, how safe and easy is it hacking into someones secured wifi?xD
Old 11-15-2009, 05:13 AM   #2
A_Forever
:w

You need nothing for your desktop...
Old 11-15-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
Whoever came up with the name for the dongle has to have theirs cut off.

EDIT: if that desktop has no in-built wifi then you do need the attachment if you can't connect it to the router through a line. Though I thought you were playing on your sister's laptop or something.

Last edited by Ivramire; 11-15-2009 at 05:17 AM..
Ivramire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
Lirange
Bad Kid

Then how will i get a connection? OH... I get connection from the cable line right?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:15 AM   #5
Leesa
lk;sfdb

In-Game Name: Quit
Current Level: Quit
Server: Quit
Leesa is a jewel in the roughLeesa is a jewel in the roughLeesa is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Leesa
Ok Lirange.. its ok....

For your PC, you connect router to modem and then a cord from a router to the computer, so u have both wired/wireless

and I don't know what you're talking about G and N x_x;; I just got one haha

Last edited by Leesa; 11-15-2009 at 05:17 AM..
Leesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
Lirange
Bad Kid

oh.. so when i buy it it comes with a wire the i plug into the modem... I thought I had to unplug somethign and plug it into the router... oh, so did you buy a cheap modem and are you able to stream video and play games and such on it using yoru laptop?
Old 11-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
A_Forever
:w

When you get a router, the modem then is hooked up to it. The computer is no longer hooked up to the modem. The computer gets hooked up to the router.

The modem sends the information to the router, and since you'll have a wireless router.. a wifi signal is automatically sent out and then anything connected to the router also gets the information. Information in this case is internet.

The router, routes information to multiple things at once..
Old 11-15-2009, 05:20 AM   #8
Leesa
lk;sfdb

In-Game Name: Quit
Current Level: Quit
Server: Quit
Leesa is a jewel in the roughLeesa is a jewel in the roughLeesa is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Leesa
Uhm.. I dunno this is the one i got:

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...nt-whr-hp-g54/

it says its G o.o But I get extremely fast internet connection, and you see how fast I spawn in L.o.L xP
Old 11-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #9
Entropy
Administrator
G is already faster than your internet connection most likely. Unless your internet connection is over 20 mbps N wont be any faster. That N is for gaming and streaming videos is marketing bs. N does have greater range. If money is an issue get g router for < $40, you wont notice a difference. If the desktop is going to be next to the router get a $2 ethernet cable, a wired connection is faster, more reliable, and has less lag.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
Triumph
Wiki Head Admin

Deal or No Deal Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: FFXIV
Current Level: 80
Server: Coeurl
Triumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud of
The range on N is far superior to G.

The United States is notorious for incredibly poor internet in comparison to other countries. I believe the standard in most Asian countries are 100 Mbps connections. My personal recommendation is to get the N.

I think N is already standardized? If not, it's close.
Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote