Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #11
.o0O0O0o.
Robo

Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: Aelfis
Current Level: 43
Server: teva
.o0O0O0o. is on a distinguished road

I'd go with what Bla~ah said. Of course, i'd want my children to know about my religion and to grow up with the same beliefs that i have. To every religion, there's an extremist. Even though i'm a christian, I don't go around forcing the word of God unto other people. I just think that the word is out there and when the calling comes, people will come. Be respecful of others belief's and stop having the mentality of a little kid (ie: my dad can beat up your dad type of mentality) even though they may be extremist. And to the extremist, do your duty but in a way that is not so abrasive to others.

Wruh - level 26 Cleric
Oniruka- level 11 Fighter (vendor)
click here to spank me!! NOW!!
Old 12-19-2007, 03:35 AM   #12
O-mie
Lilian's Maid

Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: Omies (5x Cleric) Fable (4x Archer)
Current Level: OVER 900000000
Server: Teva
O-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to O-mie Send a message via MSN to O-mie

Such a young age is why parents teach it to them. Minds like a sponge. But if a parent is so scared the child will be different from them, well... its a child, not your clone. I would teach them morals, but let them decide on their own the beliefs they want to follow.

Most bad things that ever happened in history were the result of religion. Plus, i'd rather have my child actually be capable of thinking for themselves.

"Stand up for what you believe is right, even if you're standing alone."

Omies [5x Cleric] Fable [4x Archer] Omie [1x Mage] Wigglytuff [2x Fighter]
Teva

Nakama //GrandPaprika // Symphony
O-mie's Art Gallery || Sketch-Blog

Old 12-19-2007, 04:05 AM   #13
Triumph
Wiki Head Admin

Deal or No Deal Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: FFXIV
Current Level: 80
Server: Coeurl
Triumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud of
A child should be exposed to religion; that much is inevitable, so you might as well make the transition easier. However, like previous posters have said, there are extremists. My opinion is that you should teach them what the fundamental concepts of the religion are, and leave it at that...let them pick it up on their own. Either way, it's the safest solution, for if they happen to dislike it, then there is no permanent effects. If they choose to expand on their knowledge, you would have already set the foundations for that expansion, so no harm there.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:42 AM   #14
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
Originally Posted by O-mie View Post

Such a young age is why parents teach it to them. Minds like a sponge. But if a parent is so scared the child will be different from them, well... its a child, not your clone. I would teach them morals, but let them decide on their own the beliefs they want to follow.

Most bad things that ever happened in history were the result of religion. Plus, i'd rather have my child actually be capable of thinking for themselves.
Yeah, thats how I view things. I mean.. if I choose on religion, of course its going to be in my kids life, but I will not force it onto my child. I'd let my child choose their religion. Morals isn't always related to religion. As long as my childs a decent and kind person, I don't care what religion they choose.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:58 PM   #15
ViciousEve
Hero Slime

In-Game Name: BuffyTheBuffy
Current Level: 46
Server: Teva
ViciousEve is on a distinguished road
Thats some kind of an ethical problem, I guess.

I think what needs to be debated, is how religion is affecting a child.
I dont think that it makes a lot of sense to talk about extremists, because this is a seperate and specified problem concerning religions. I dont know how many creationists are teaching their children that evolution is some kind of a well-structured lie, but in Germany they are quite a few. But I think this is a very extreme form of religion, something extremly old-fashioned and also very ignorant, I guess.

But this has nothing to do with `How to raise your kids and their relationship to religions!´. It is more a problem of stupidity, I think.
In normal families religion can be some kind of protection and something to hold onto, especially for children. When I was a child I was told by my parents, that they do not believe in god. On the other hand my grandmother told me that there is a god, watching and protecting me and I could tell him everything...blabla. Well, everytime I was sad, I knew I could tell someone:god. In fact I never knew what god should be like or whatever.

Contrastly, I am not religious today... not since I was 10 or so. Nevertheless I know, that the only way to choose your religion is to feel it and not to proove it. As an adult you tend to proove everything, as a child you just dont care. Whats wrong with choosing something which doesnt hurt anyone, if you can rethink your choice? I dont see the point...

Of course it would be better not to have religions at all, because ( as you already said) they are causing a lot of trouble.(<---philosophical problem!)
AND there is nothing in this world, I hate more than philosophy:
Just to talk about a problem but never find a solution. So it does not really makes sense to argue about it...we cannot change anyones mind. But we do not have to adapt anyones thoughts either- thats the good point.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
MadsterAya
Slime

In-Game Name: Madelyn
Server: Apoline
MadsterAya is on a distinguished road
I have no problem exposing them to religion when they're younger...seeing as it promotes good morals...and that's important when you're young.

But what I don't like is when people force them at it. I was watching this documentary on A&E called "Jesus Camp" and it scared the crap out of me. I'm catholic, so I'm very religious... but even that disturbed me.

They impose radical christian beliefs on them and teach them all to speak in tongues and, I was extremely disturbed. That's too much for kids to handle at that age.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #17
Yosei
Corgi Addict

Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
I don't know if this is a necropost, its not incredibly old.. but its been awhile.
But morals can be taught without religion. Actually some religious people I know are some of the most immortal people I know.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #18
A_Forever
:w

I don't think younger kids should be exposed. Its better they are exposed to religion when they are older so they can decide for themselves. Otherwise they aren't really making their own decisions anymore =\ It also means they can't learn certain things. Its almost like taking control of the kids life. I dunno..I just think they should be exposed when they are older so its them making the decision whether or not to believe in that religion. I don't see how its right to take advantage of younger kids since they don't really know what to believe or really know how to make a decision since their parents have been making decisions for them for a while. When they're older and more mature they finally have their own mind and own beliefs. They don't have to follow their parents anymore.

My parents chose to bring us up with no religion at all so we could make our own decisions and believe what we thought was right and not what they did. I think thats a better way to go. Have the kids explore life on their own and if they find a religion they believe in to be right then let them believe in that.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #19
Yosei
Corgi Addict

Yeah. My friend was raised as a Christian, but as she got older and really began to learn about the religion, she lost faith in it and became a closet buddhist. She didn't say anything because she felt pressured and obligated to stay a Christian, because thats what she grew up as. I don't think thats right.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #20
Cataliste
Hero Slime

In-Game Name: Isharu
Current Level: 15
Server: Bijou
Cataliste is on a distinguished road
Honestly this is a big subject for me. When I was a young child religion was always forced on me. I was always told Catholics/Pagans/Mormons/etc. where all going to hell. Apparently Southern Baptist was the only way to go.

Luckily when I was 13 I began to think. From my own observations and views on how things worked I decided to not believe in a God. I knew it was impossible to prove he did not exist, but I couldn't force myself to believe without proof.

Any-who, to the subject. I think it's wrong. Children should not be force-fed that type of information. They should not be made to worship one way or another. They should be allowed to think freely and make a decision based on how they perceive the world.

Now, I am an Atheist, but I believe it is any man's right to choose to believe in what he/she wants to believe in, but I think brain washing, and recruitment through fear are disgusting.

@Yosei: You are right. It does, more often than not, teach a child to be close-minded of others beliefs. Being close-minded leads to intolerance of those beliefs. I think you should talk to your nephew in private and tell him that he should believe what he wants to believe, and not be afraid of what others will think about him for it. "You can't please everyone."
Closed Thread