Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
Jikanu
Lizardman

In-Game Name: Jikanu
Current Level: 46
Server: Teva
Jikanu will become famous soon enoughJikanu will become famous soon enough
Apathy.

"We're losing these children to apathy"

That's a quote from Donnie Darko, and it seems to be making alot of sense. There's absolutely horrible things going on in the world, and people simply resign themselves to it being the normal thing, because it is. But i implore you, we must not accept these things as normal. Evil is not relative. Honestly... if we dont all change, i dont think that humanity has more than 1000 years or so to be around. we'll either wipe ourselves out or we'll lose all that makes us human. Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" seems to have been almost prophetic... if you've never read it, please, pick it up as soon as possible.

We're losing the world... and it seems as if there's nothing we can do. But we can do our best to change. We can't accept the death of ANYONE, whether it be rich or poor, as a normal thing. We have to be outraged at violence.

That's what i think makes us human. Perhaps im insane, but i can not be contented in the current state of affairs. *Sigh* Alas... Please, if you have any views, whether they be agreeing or disagreeing with me, state them... i want more insight in this current heartbreaking situation in the world...
Old 05-24-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
I guess I don't really see where your view of the world stems from.

Yes, there are things wrong in society and with the world. Yes, we can do a lot to fix them.

And people are.

But these problems are not necessarily "new." They are simply problems that humanity has been facing for as long as humans have been humans. It's not as if this generation or this era has, all of sudden, gotten drastically worse than previous times.

The world will never. Never. Be perfect. Humans just weren't made that way. Can we solve world hunger, poverty, diseases? Yes. We can. But humanity itself will never be perfect.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
Jikanu
Lizardman

Obviously not. but we can stop much of the needless mass violence.

Im referring to the troubles in ireland, for one. i didnt even know about them till a couple of years ago. why arent they more broadcasted? i would think such an outrageous loss of life over such a petty quibble would be seen as something outrageous, and people would be putting alot more attention towards it.

What about Ian Thomlinson, previously mentioned in my last thread? he was murdered by the police, and i would never have known about it but for reading a comment on a Clash video. It wasnt given much attention to by any but one of the brittish media outlets.

I simply dont see why so much violence over petty things is neccesary. i know that murder is going to happen either way, but at this point it's cruelty to the innocent, and mass genocide to the unknown.

Also, the fact that when a rich man dies it's all "OH NO HE WAS SUCH A GREAT PERSON SOB SOB SOB" but when a bum dies, they just burry him and move on with it. All human life has equal value.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
Hyper
Sucked back into the 'net

In-Game Name: An occupation
Current Level: 8 hours a day
Server: 4reL-lyfe
Hyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these parts
Be realistic.

Originally Posted by Ralath View Post
The world will never. Never. Be perfect. Humans just weren't made that way. Can we solve world hunger, poverty, diseases? Yes. We can. But humanity itself will never be perfect.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:27 AM   #5
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Just a thought about this comment:

Originally Posted by Jikanu View Post
Also, the fact that when a rich man dies it's all "OH NO HE WAS SUCH A GREAT PERSON SOB SOB SOB" but when a bum dies, they just burry him and move on with it. All human life has equal value.
When a famous person passes away, it's most probably because they've done something useful in their that attracted recognition for the society and probably deserved the recognition (not saying this is always the case).

Yet, how do you think a person becomes a bum? Of course I'm sure there's various exceptions where people had something bad happen to them that was out of their control, but I doubt all bums had gotten to that stage by bad luck. Most of them probably became one because they didn't do what they should've done to avoid that kind of position.

I'm not saying that you can put a price on someone's life, and one person's price would be higher than other people, but that's pretty much just how it is. There's a reason why some deaths receive more attention than others, and it's not because we see that human lives do not have equal value.

Edit: ha, Ralath kind of explained it better than me.

Last edited by Blaaaaaaaah; 05-24-2009 at 06:31 AM..
Old 05-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #6
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
If newspapers were to run every single act of injustice or violence that occurs in the world, there wouldn't be any more trees left.

If anything, we are more able today than ever to be aware of these things because we have things such as Internet, satellites, television, etc. We have more time and the ability to know things than any other time in human history.

To say that there is a lack of coverage is relative.

Quote:
I simply dont see why so much violence over petty things is neccesary. i know that murder is going to happen either way, but at this point it's cruelty to the innocent, and mass genocide to the unknown.
Jikanu... have you ever done anything wrong? Or are you a saint?

If you have ever done anything wrong (which, I'm going to take a wild guess here and say you have), then why did you do it?

Violence is just doing something wrong on a larger scale.

Quote:
Sadly, disagree. What makes Ian Thomlinson more special than any other joe on the street who gets the short end of the stick? Why choose to devote media coverage on him and not others? Why did you choose to make a thread about him but not others? Clearly, there is more worth to him than the others.

All human life has value. But equal value? I'm not sure about that one.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
Jikanu
Lizardman

Not all rich and famous are worth it. What about the oil company executives? They've done nothing more than rape the soil of the earth and destroy it, but i doubt anyone brings that up at their burial service.

but my point is that we put a level of importance on each person, when in fact we're all just as valuble as the next person. Also, what about bums who were born in the ghettos and have no way to get out from their poverty? im sure no Oil Company Exec.'s Son is gonna be a bum, regardless of how much he does for society. Hell, he could lounge about on daddy/mommy's trust fund money and not do a thing, and it would still be a bigger deal. it's like the queen of england complex. She serves no purpose, has no power, but she's held in such high fricken regard it's sickening.

didnt see ralath's comment till i posted, sorry.

He has no more value, he's simply the only recent case of police brutality resulting in death i know of. Please, i implore you, bring up more cases and it will do nothing more than support the fact that government is corrupt and must be dealt with in some way.

Last edited by Jikanu; 05-24-2009 at 06:33 AM..
Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
You seem to have this view of the world as in it has this potential to be some sort of Utopia.

While many people hope for this... it is impossible. Nor is it realistic or idealistic.

The world needs evil, to see what we can fix, what we can make better, to learn.

Is the world honestly as bad compared to what it used to be? I mean really, look back into history.

And in continuation on the bum subject... most bums have done things to get themselves there. It's not like someone was like "Muahahaha, I'm going to take all of your stuff!", and took everything. Most have gambled it away, had drinking or drug issues. I know this because of the city I used to live in...

I had a homeless man bugging me for money, claiming he was hungry, he hadn't eaten in a week. I didn't give him anything, why? He was drunk.

Another man kept bugging my friend and I to give him some money so he could get something to eat. But he had just told us he just went and bought himself a book to kill time since he has nothing to do since he's homeless.

Another man kept asking my friend and I to give him some money one evening because his wife kicked him out, his kids wouldn't take him in. We offered to buy him some food, my friend even offered to get him a hotel room for the night. He kept declining us and asking for money.

They all wanted money, for their addiction.

The world will never be as innocent as it should be.

Last edited by Yosei; 05-24-2009 at 06:42 AM..
Old 05-24-2009, 06:37 AM   #9
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Jikanu, do you even bother to read my entire post or just the last paragraph? Because if you only read the last paragraph, then I'm not going to continue. ~_~

Certain people get more media coverage because more people care about them. When the Queen of England dies, she is going to get a hell a lot more media coverage than the bum on the street. Why? Because more people care about the Queen of the England than they do the bum on the street.

Is it wrong for them to care more about the Queen of England than the bum on the street? I don't think so. Who's to say who people should care for more than others.

And I ask you again, have you ever done anything wrong? Or are you a saint?

If you have ever done anything wrong (which, I'm going to take a wild guess here and say you have), then why did you do it?

Humans are imperfect beings and we will make mistakes and do things wrong. There's no way around that.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #10
Jikanu
Lizardman

The only way it'll ever be impossible is if we give up.

and it's just as bad as before, it's just more covered up. you dont think those who use illegal immigration to their own advantage (i.e. basically enslaving them and threatening them with the feds) are just as bad as the plantation owners? it's just well covered up. no better. and no one since John Lennon really seems to have made a great reach out for world peace.

Politicians have never done anything but fix the mistakes of other politicians. Makes you wonder why we ever took them in in the first place.

once again, didnt see your post till after i posted x.x

Jikanu, do you even bother to read my entire post or just the last paragraph? Because if you only read the last paragraph, then I'm not going to continue. ~_~

Certain people get more media coverage because more people care about them. When the Queen of England dies, she is going to get a hell a lot more media coverage than the bum on the street. Why? Because more people care about the Queen of the England than they do the bum on the street.

Is it wrong for them to care more about the Queen of England than the bum on the street? I don't think so. Who's to say who people should care for more than others.

And I ask you again, have you ever done anything wrong? Or are you a saint?

Humans are imperfect beings and we will make mistakes and do things wrong. There's no way around that.
sorry if it came off that way x.x

obviously we'll make mistakes, and im not a saint either, of course o.o i previously addressed that. there's no stopping violence, but we can stop the massive scale that it occurs on. We can stop the hatred, we can stop the anger, the depression, the fear. Even the smallest of acts can change a persons life forever. a simple smile to show them that there IS hope out there. the butterfly effect.

what more did the queen of england do than the bum, other than being born rich instead of poor? is that fair and just and right?

If newspapers were to run every single act of injustice or violence that occurs in the world, there wouldn't be any more trees left.

If anything, we are more able today than ever to be aware of these things because we have things such as Internet, satellites, television, etc. We have more time and the ability to know things than any other time in human history.

To say that there is a lack of coverage is relative.

Jikanu... have you ever done anything wrong? Or are you a saint?

Sadly, disagree. What makes Ian Thomlinson more special than any other joe on the street who gets the short end of the stick? Why choose to devote media coverage on him and not others? Why did you choose to make a thread about him but not others? Clearly, there is more worth to him than the others.

All human life has value. But equal value? I'm not sure about that one.
Really? They're spending a HUGE amount of time on Obama getting a burger. obama taking a train ride. obama getting in a car. they're obsessing over stupid little things, while IMPORTANT things are happening that we should know about.

*Sigh* we're getting off topic though. Im talking about the overall lack of caring for things in the world, not just thomlinson, or a bum, or the queen of england. people obsess over celebrities, but dont really care that thousands are dying due to preventable causes. it makes no sense.

Last edited by Jikanu; 05-24-2009 at 06:46 AM..
Closed Thread