Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 05:02 AM   #21
MikeyG
Touch all the butts

Tournaments Won: 10

In-Game Name: lnfamous
Current Level: 6x
Server: Teva
MikeyG has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeyG

My moms a manager for a cosmetics company, Clinique.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:29 AM   #22
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
I think I'd come down fairly in the middle.

I do believe the use of marjiuana is fairly demonized by most all media and official government. Misuse, and not the substance itself lies at the core of what is a dividing issue. Our other legal 'drugs' such as caffeine, nicotine, alcohol (and for some prescription/over-the-counter medicine) as such are also 'fairly' chemically-addictive and/or psychologically but legal never the less. There are people who would benefit from its medical-use, people who would otherwise suffer needlessly.

But there's also the other side, that beneath the rational reasoning that it shouldn't be as bad as it's made out to be, there are the negative consequences and outcomes. People who object to usage of marijuana would have no ground on which to object if there weren't some real horror-stories. People do start marijuana as a first-step kind of drug which leads to harder ones which I think most of us can agree aren't quite so pleasant. People do learn to become dependent and not everyone handles it in quite the same way.

While I won't be condemning anyone for using it (it's your life after all) you won't see me fighting for its legalization either.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:47 AM   #23
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Yosei View Post

And comparing equal rights laws to marijuana laws is a bit extreme IMO. I'm not saying you should always agree with the law, hell, in Virginia, its illegal to have sex in any other position other than missionary. Do you see people in VA making a fuss about it? Its a private thing, keep it to yourself, do it if you want, but if you want it to be something just out on the streets, then people are going to take it differently. But my point still stands, its just a plant, a plant we don't have to have, so who cares if its illegal? Its not the end of the world. But if it discourages even just one person from experimenting with that type of stuff and potentially ending up addicted, if its one less addicting material available to us up front, then I'm fine.

Why don't we make alcohol and cigarettes illegal instead? ;D People can learn how not to be dependent on such things.
You do realize we're in America, correct (sorry, Mikey, heh)? We at least give a nominal nod that we're a nation of free people. Is it freedom if we're not allowed to make choices about what we put into our body without government censure? We don't HAVE to have potato chips, or video games, or marriage, or cars, or police, or airplanes. Let's make them all illegal! Whoo!

You're advocating for the legislation of morality which has time and time again been shown not to work. Weed being illegal isn't a deterrent, as evidenced by the sheer amounts of people being arrested for the possession and use of it. So, why is it illegal? That should be the primary question. Who does it benefit for it being illegal?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:03 AM   #24
Enraya
WONDERARCHER

Enraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hraesvelg View Post
You do realize we're in America, correct (sorry, Mikey, heh)? We at least give a nominal nod that we're a nation of free people. Is it freedom if we're not allowed to make choices about what we put into our body without government censure? We don't HAVE to have potato chips, or video games, or marriage, or cars, or police, or airplanes. Let's make them all illegal! Whoo!

You're advocating for the legislation of morality which has time and time again been shown not to work. Weed being illegal isn't a deterrent, as evidenced by the sheer amounts of people being arrested for the possession and use of it. So, why is it illegal? That should be the primary question. Who does it benefit for it being illegal?
It benefits the people who DON'T smoke weed or use marijuana or whatever (can't watch video, so answer is just based on comments).

I don't know about other people, but personally, I would not like to be around people who are high or "relaxed." It scares the sh-t out of me. Even if you argue that you're "in control", how would a bystander know? It even freaks me out seeing people walk around drunk or attempting to drive a car. Call me sheltered or whatever, it's just that I don't want to face these kind of risky situations and I'd rather stay on the safe side. Even if I'm not doing these kind of things, other people who ARE still affect ME.

So if it's illegal, it will most likely dissuade people from trying out weed and marijuana. If there's less people who do weird stuff, then there's less of a chance that they will affect innocent people right? ;/

{ enraya ! }
Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #25
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by lightningmystix View Post

It benefits the people who DON'T smoke weed or use marijuana or whatever (can't watch video, so answer is just based on comments).

I don't know about other people, but personally, I would not like to be around people who are high or "relaxed." It scares the sh-t out of me. Even if you argue that you're "in control", how would a bystander know? It even freaks me out seeing people walk around drunk or attempting to drive a car. Call me sheltered or whatever, it's just that I don't want to face these kind of risky situations and I'd rather stay on the safe side. Even if I'm not doing these kind of things, other people who ARE still affect ME.

So if it's illegal, it will most likely dissuade people from trying out weed and marijuana. If there's less people who do weird stuff, then there's less of a chance that they will affect innocent people right? ;/
Agreed wholeheartedly.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #26
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by lightningmystix View Post

That's where you're wrong, though. The legality of weed is NOT a deterrent to usage, as evidenced by the amount of arrests of simple possession. I wholeheartedly advocate strict punishments of using vehicles and the like, much like we regulate alcohol and the usage of vehicles.

I can't understand why someone who is on weed would scare you, unless you've got a huge box of twinkies or something. Alcohol can bring out violent tendencies in people, so I can understand about being a bit more cautious around people who have had too much. But people doing weed? You're afraid of giggling people making quasi-profound statements about the universe while watching Scooby-Doo? What sort of behavior warrants this fear? I'm genuinely curious. Reefer Madness was not a documentary...
Old 01-26-2009, 06:27 AM   #27
Enraya
WONDERARCHER

Enraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Hraesvelg View Post
That's where you're wrong, though. The legality of weed is NOT a deterrent to usage, as evidenced by the amount of arrests of simple possession. I wholeheartedly advocate strict punishments of using vehicles and the like, much like we regulate alcohol and the usage of vehicles.

I can't understand why someone who is on weed would scare you, unless you've got a huge box of twinkies or something. Alcohol can bring out violent tendencies in people, so I can understand about being a bit more cautious around people who have had too much. But people doing weed? You're afraid of giggling people making quasi-profound statements about the universe while watching Scooby-Doo? What sort of behavior warrants this fear? I'm genuinely curious. Reefer Madness was not a documentary...
I wouldn't be freaked out, but um yeah, I would be a bit weirded out o_o
As you said, I wouldn't be afraid of the behavior induced by weed I suppose... more that I'm afraid of weed itself ;/ If I can deduct that a person is using weed, I won't act normal, regardless of the person's actions under the influence of weed.
I am talking about strangers that I don't know using the stuff mentioned. If there's a chance that something might happen to me or the people I love because of this substance, then I don't want it. I'm sure almost everybody can relate to this.

{ enraya ! }
Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #28
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

There is a chance that an airplane will fall out of the sky and into your house...are you advocating banning airplanes?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #29
Enraya
WONDERARCHER

^ No, but I want to have that high pilot trialed.

{ enraya ! }
Old 01-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #30
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

I never said that the pilot was high. We have laws in place to deal with being under the influence in those situations. You are letting your personal discomfort about being around those that are on weed influence your objectivity on the matter.

You're using the same argument some people use against gay marriage...that it is "icky."

And before anyone asks, I don't actually use weed. I'm merely an advocate of personal liberty and freedom.