Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

View Poll Results: Which came first, the Chicken or the Egg?
Chicken 7 35.00%
Egg 2 10.00%
Charmander 11 55.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:00 AM   #11
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

In-Game Name: yummy
Current Level: skewl
lamchopz has disabled reputation

Let's start with the Big Chicken Bang theory. -nod-

-------------------------------------------------
Old 09-10-2008, 06:10 AM   #12
Pritcher
Senior Torturer

Pritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Pritcher Send a message via MSN to Pritcher Send a message via Yahoo to Pritcher
Lol, ahh this old question. Well, creatures were laying eggs long before chickens roamed the Earth, so the egg came first.

More on point though, if you go with the whole evolution of the modern chicken deal, then the egg still came first. We could go into a long discussion on it, feel free, but I don't really care to. It's fairly simple to sum up; something close to a chicken laid an egg, then inside the egg genetic mutations occurred resulting in the first true chicken emerging from the egg. The egg was first.

I don't really want to touch the religious aspect of the theories on creation and all that, but keep in mind that even the Catholic Church acknowledges the possibility of evolution's role in the creation process.

-------
I'm taking an indefinite break from Fiesta.

Join the FiestaFan Folding@Home team! Details, questions and comments HERE
Old 09-10-2008, 06:12 AM   #13
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Server: Teva
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
Well, the simple answer is that a female sex cell (ovum, or egg) developed long before our modern avian known as a chicken. For the sake of not having another long, drawn out conversation about the origins of life, I'll merely say that evolution doesn't exclude a belief in a higher power. Someone I know made this handy guide, though, for people who wish to argue the point of life developing by evolutionary processes:

Old 09-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #14
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

An interesting note on evolution is that we tend to think of it as "survival of the best" whereas the original phrase clearly says "survival of the fittest". "Best" ,"fittest" are relative terms because you are the fittest in a given set of conditions. Take Darwin's finches, for example. In a drought where food is scarce, the fittest is the flock of finches with small beaks so they'll survive. Equally, we ourselves may not have been the best possible biological form in the evolutionary tree, but we certainly had the right environmental favours for our survival.

For me, evolution is now akin to evolutionary genetic synthesis. Random combinations of genes, along with environmental factors, create diversity as we know it.

And to conclude, I think the egg came first. LOL

Old 09-10-2008, 07:06 AM   #15
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
After thinking about it, the rooster probably came first. (If you don't get it kids, ask your parents.)
Old 09-10-2008, 08:47 AM   #16
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
Originally Posted by lamchopz View Post
An interesting note on evolution is that we tend to think of it as "survival of the best" whereas the original phrase clearly says "survival of the fittest". "Best" ,"fittest" are relative terms because you are the fittest in a given set of conditions.
Actually, if I recall correctly, the term that Darwin uses in On the Origin of the Species is "survival of the most fit." Maybe he uses both. *can't remember* It's a subtle difference but I think it's an important one. An individual doesn't have to be the "fittest" to survive, but only the "most fit" compared to its competitor. @_@;;

Darwin is so careful in writing Origin of the Species because he's well versed in religion himself that he's well aware of the consequences of what he is writing. He's very careful in the terms he uses.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #17
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

That's why those phrases tend to be avoided when discussing the theory in modern discussions. They're meant to be a sort of handy condensement of the idea, but some take the phrase too literally for it to be of worth. As a great primer for people interested in how the theory works, I suggest reading Richard Dawkin's The Selfish Gene. It still holds up remarkably well even after all this time. It really walks you through the concepts involved.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #18
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

my memory might have cheated me again. lol

Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #19
Dynamics
Karasian Solider

Tournaments Won: 5

In-Game Name: Dynamics
Current Level: OVER NINE THOUSANDDDDDDDDDDDDD!
Server: under your bed
Dynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to all
Charmander came first alphabetically.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #20
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
It's already been said but what Pritcher said comes closest to what I was going to say.

Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
Charmander came first alphabetically.

Probably why Charmander is owning the polls.
Closed Thread