Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
Aust - NSW - Proposed to ban topless sunbathing

Quote:
Topless ban to protect Muslims and Asians: Nile
Georgina Robinson
December 30, 2008 - 1:27PM

Conservative MP Fred Nile says he wants topless bathing banned in NSW to protect Sydney's Muslim and Asian communities.

The Reverend Nile has rejected allegations that prudishness is behind a bill he has prepared to ban nudity, including topless sunbathing, on the state's most popular beaches.

Australia's reputation as a conservative but culturally inclusive sociery was at risk of erosion by more liberal overseas visitors, he said.

"Our beaches should be a place where no one is offended, whether it's their religious or cultural views," he said.

"If they've come from a Middle Eastern or Asian country where women never go topless - in fact they usually wear a lot of clothing - I think it's important to respect all the different cultures that make up Australia."

The practice was at risk of raising the ire of Muslim men in particular, Mr Nile said.

"I don't want to have any provocations or disturbances on our public beaches," he said.

Acting Premier Carmel Tebbutt and the NSW Opposition Leader, Barry O'Farrell, have both said that topless bathing is an issue for local councils, not state governments.

But Mr Nile said he believed most politicians would come around once all the issues were considered.

"I think if you survey Australian women you'll find a lot of women would be uncomfortable if it became the custom [to be] topless at the beach," he said.

"Australia's always been a conservative country as far as beachwear goes.

"Once being topless is accepted as lawful the next question will be why can't women go totally nude on a public beach and I don't think Australians want to go down that pathway."

NSW Liberal powerbroker David Clarke and Labor MP Paul Gibson have reportedly vowed to support the bill.

AAP reports:

Mr O'Farrell said topless bathing was not a matter for Parliament.

"This is a matter for local councils to deliberate, at a time when state parliament should be focusing on roads, public transport, hospitals and education," he said today.

"It doesn't rate on the list of important matters for the Parliament of NSW."

Up to individuals: Gillard

Speaking to reporters in Melbourne, acting Prime Minister Julia Gillard said the topless issue was one of context and clear signage.

"People want to go to the beach and use the beach in a variety of ways. Obviously family groups want to go to the beach, people who want to get a bit of sun all over also want to go to the beach," she said.

"As long as people know what the rules are and know what to expect I think it is a matter for the individuals involved."

Ms Gillard urged topless bathers to be sun smart.

"There is also a stage where people should be getting the hat on, getting the shirt on and getting the sunscreen on," she said.

Topless bathing not an issue: Bondi mayor

Waverley Council Mayor Sally Betts says she is aghast at moves by state politicians to outlaw women from sunbathing topless on NSW beaches.

"We've got alcohol-related violence, we've got under-age drinking and anti-social behaviour in the public domain - those are really important issues," Ms Betts told Fairfax Radio Network.

"If the Reverend Nile really wants to help people he should focus on those issues."

Ms Betts said she was at the beach on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and did not notice any topless women.

But if it was a problem, she would have heard about it, she said.

"In Waverley, we have a very involved community. They complain about everything," she said.

"But nobody has complained to me about topless [women]."
Source

I dont think they should ban topless sun bathing on NSW beaches... It's been decades that women has been sunbathing topless, esp in our most famous beaches, I don't think we should change our culture for another culture.

People have to come to Australia to accept and respect the way we do things here. Just like how an Aussie tourist should cover up at a (let say) Muslim beach.

It's almost like saying we cant wear bikinis anymore on the beach..

Or maybe just make an area on the beach for no topless sun bathing, so at least they've got a spot where they dont see nude women everywhere they look.. but they certainly shouldnt ban it all together, I reckon...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Last edited by Hessah; 12-30-2008 at 11:01 PM..
Old 12-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Kenryuu
Orc

In-Game Name: Kenryuu, Shiraiyuki
Current Level: 48, 60 <3
Server: Epith
Kenryuu is on a distinguished road
lol...

>.>

<.<

>.<

<.>

Thanks Loveless :3
Old 12-31-2008, 03:10 AM   #3
Belaslav
Yank me.

In-Game Name: -quit-
Current Level: -quit-
Server: Teva
Belaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Belaslav
Lmao.

Don't like the show? Don't go to the beach.

Free software for Virus, Malware, Adware and Spyware protection: Avast and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Those of you using Firefox I recommend NoScript and AdBlock Plus addons.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:41 AM   #4
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
This isn't MoS so keep things on topic, Ken. Lol does not equal 'mature' nor is it discussion material.

What's wrong with topless sunbathing? Men are topless, should they have to wear a shirt too? Much like Bela said if you know that particular beach has women topless then simply avoid the area. I'm sure there are places which do not have any of that. They also have to keep in mind that this isn't their home country either so they should expect that it'll be different in many aspects.

On the other hand, if you're sun bathing topless -- which isn't a bad thing, I understand why they'd want to -- keep in mind that there may be people who are not as comfortable with it. I'm sure that if it is a popular beach there are families who would rather not have their kids oggling breasts. So if you have to do so... perhaps without blocking your sun hide it a bit too. And when you're done remember to put that top back on?
Old 12-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #5
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
Well, there are many beaches which just flag some part of their area as naturist, so why can't they just do that here? Why ban it altogether?

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Old 12-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
Besides, have you seen some of the swimsuits? It's not like anything is left to the imagination any more. It's a nipple. We all have them. They really need to get over it.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Enraya
WONDERARCHER

Enraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to behold
I think it's up to individuals.
I'm not sure if the women are only sunbathing, but if I saw a top-nude adult running around, I'd be pretty wierded out.
It depends on the place you're in and the reputation. Don't think there's any need to ban it though.

{ enraya ! }
Old 12-31-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Manzcar
WHOOOOOOOOOOS THEEEEEERE!

Tournaments Won: 2

In-Game Name: Same as above
Current Level: Manzcar sndy| Elijaz 2x
Manzcar has disabled reputation
I agree with Hessah and Hraesvelg.

I particularly don't care for the nudist aspects of sunbathing especially with my young children in tow. But if I know that the beaches are topless than I shouldn't go to them or I should find a beach where they are not topless.

But as Hraesvelg has stated, in today's society modesty is not a part of it. I see women who wear underwear as a shirt and say its a shirt or wear their pants so low you can see where the sun doesn't usually shine. On the beach it is even more obvious, so why ban topless sunbathing and make them put on the 2 inch triangle of bikini top.

doesn't make sense.

LOKI Thanks!!
Closed Thread