Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
Melissa27
Ratman

In-Game Name: Melissa27
Current Level: 88
Server: Teva
Melissa27 will become famous soon enough
New to being a Mage

i just made a mage character about 15 minutes ago. is there any advice you can give me???? like for build, or anything really ^_^
Level 90
Templar_Knights Guild
Married Ra77modeus on 10/15/08

Mellers27
WizMage
Level 71
Templar_Knights Guild

Old 07-28-2008, 03:19 AM   #2
Triumph
Wiki Head Admin

Deal or No Deal Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: FFXIV
Current Level: 80
Server: Coeurl
Triumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud of
Pure INT or x INT:25 SPR.

Some empower Magic Missile cooldown with 5 points. There are enough spells later on to get by without empowering. Same goes for Fire Bolt.

Magic Blast + Fire Ball: 5 points for power.
Fear: Duration, optional cooldown.
Inferno: Cooldown.

Optional:

Chain Casting cooldown.
Stifle duration, optional cooldown.

Oh, and use level 1 spells. The damage bonus from higher level spells isn't really worth the SP consumption. If you want to use higher level spells, then feel free to. Magic Missile and Fire Bolt should remain at level 1 regardless, due to increased cooldown at higher levels.

Most of your empowerments may not occur until your 50s. My suggestion is to save your points, for there are unreleased skills right now. All empowerments should be empowered with 5 points for maximum effect.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #3
malthizor
Mushroom

In-Game Name: Samanting, Tiira, Tirra
Current Level: 13, 11, 10
Server: Epith
malthizor is on a distinguished road
when you get your mage to lvl 5 do the kingdom quest tog et youir lvls higher faster. if u do quests it might take longer then KQ's.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
Please do learn your class. Zooming through levels with only KQs tends to make poor players. Its good you're asking for advice, though. I don't really play a mage, so, yeah. Listen to Triumph.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:10 AM   #5
Lexaeus
Bat

Tournaments Won: 2

In-Game Name: FredWeasley, EishunKonoe
Current Level: 3x, 8
Server: Teva, Epith
Lexaeus is on a distinguished road
Everything Triumph said except use lvl 1 spells except the ones that are higher lvl yet have the same cooldown that way you can continually cast without having to wait for a cooldown (well at least lightning bolt for me) being the only high lvled spell I used and everything else was lvl 1. Don't always do kqs. Get used to your class and know its specialties and limitations. Kqing may seem like a quick way to lvl and it is in the beginning but knowing your class is more important in the later lvls. Buildwise I would recommend the 25 spr rest in int but that is just me. I like big flashy numbers

Thank you Loveless for the awesome siggy
Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 AM   #6
Melissa27
Ratman

thanks everyone! i like to level up (who doesn't), but i also want to get to know how to use the mage character and be good at it
Level 90
Templar_Knights Guild

Mellers27
WizMage
Level 71
Templar_Knights Guild

Old 07-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
Best way to learn how to use your class is to party and go through quests. Being able to solo as well as party will help you play in different situations. As mentioned above using KQs as your only leveling device will make it harder at later levels in terms of playing the class to it's best capabilities.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
Enraya
WONDERARCHER

Enraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to behold
Don't underestimate grinding, LOL. Those endless hours of flashing spells at monsters help you figure out a nice damage pattern where you can play at the order of skills to cast.

{ enraya ! }
Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
Melissa27
Ratman

so do SPR +25 first, then throw all the rest into INT..............

........right?
Level 90
Templar_Knights Guild

Mellers27
WizMage
Level 71
Templar_Knights Guild

Old 09-05-2008, 11:55 PM   #10
Icy
Huge Slime

Tournaments Won: 6

In-Game Name: おぼえていますんか?
Icy has a spectacular aura aboutIcy has a spectacular aura about
If you have to, then INT before SPR.
I will elaborate on Triumph's first line.

+INT from freestat gives you, in PvM situations, 1 extra damage per point placed. The initial 25 of +SPR from freestat gives you, in total, 5% additional critical rate.

As you can infer from it, which build you pick depends on the trade off between higher consistent damage, and unpredictable but probable critical damages (criticals do double the damage).

Calculations based on average damage shows that if your damage is significantly less than 600 on average, then you should stick to pure INT build for higher damage output. If your damage is between 600 ~1200 (approximate~), then the difference between the two builds is small, and the hybrid is advantageous for its critical rate bonus (which is useful in PvP). Last but not least, if your average damage exceeds 1300, then the pure SPR build will have greater damage output.

Now, from my experience with combat situations with monsters of the same level as my mage, damage seems to flatten out in the lv 7x. Now it seems I'm hitting monsters for less than before. 600 is rather far away.

I recommend full INT. (The M. Def. from 25 SPR won't help you by a lot in PvP either)

If you have to, then INT before SPR.

Also, 1 point into cooldown for Magic Missle gets rid of the delay when you sandwich it.

"You should never judge a book by it's cover unless you understand what you are getting into. But anyone with eyes can determine your kind rather easily. You and Triumph are of the same breed. Egotistical, narcissists who believe that numbers are some how important. It is one's love for something that truly determines who knows more and it is without a doubt that my love for the mage class trumps yours any day."

Last edited by Icy; 09-05-2008 at 11:57 PM..
Closed Thread