Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
Dynamics
Karasian Solider

Tournaments Won: 5

In-Game Name: Dynamics
Current Level: OVER NINE THOUSANDDDDDDDDDDDDD!
Server: under your bed
Dynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lvramire View Post
Depends on what you want to be.

Users say (and it's probably true) that Pure INT outdamages the hybrid build consistently even in later levels.

But if you're willing to buy +crit items from CS, the reverse may be true.
Originally Posted by lvramire View Post
Triumph, if you ever read this, please post up the Excel spread-sheet you talked about with damage-values from a hybrid versus a pure-INT build.

Thanks.

Indeed.

Damage from INT is 'pure' and majorly unaffected by enemy defences, this is in contrary to the m. damage from staves and wands and the bonus int from gears.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #12
Shiirn
Boar

In-Game Name: Typewritten - Uber Fail Archer of Doom
Current Level: ∞
Server: Bijou
Shiirn is on a distinguished road
Oh, and if people didn't realize -

Frost Nova and Inferno CAN crit - They just don't have purple numbers. (e.g my usual nova dmg is 450-500, sometimes over 900 - that's a crit).

So even for a pure aoe mage, SPR is useful.

Bijou
Lvl 89 Fighter == Arun
Lvl 87 Archer == Typewritten
Lvl 75 Mage == Rewrite
Lvl 66 Paladin == Shiirn
Goal:Get 1 gem before cap raise.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #13
Lexaeus
Bat

Tournaments Won: 2

In-Game Name: FredWeasley, EishunKonoe
Current Level: 3x, 8
Server: Teva, Epith
Lexaeus is on a distinguished road
Get the 25 spr. Crits usually happen very often for me (maybe I'm just lucky) and during the closed beta I went pure int and always ran out of sp though not sure for the later lvls though. The extra 125 sp will help you on your hp if you life tap, stones, pots, and shrooming time.

Crits are sporadic and with the mage's low crit percentages on the weapons getting the spr might seem useless but actually it is more rewarding if you get one which if you get a wand with 3% crit or a green one with like 5% then you have 1-2% crit earrings and the extra 5% will give you around 9-15% crit. That means around every 6-10 hits you will do a crit.

Int just gives more magic damage and is more consistent.
Spr gives extra sp and gives you crits which are sporadic but more helpful.

A hypothetical situation
25 int would be like (in 10 hits) 830*10=8300
25 spr would be like 800*9=7200 + the crit one 800*2=1600
7200+1600=8600

The 25 spr will help you deal more damage plus give you more sp therefore having a more helpful effect than the 25 int. Plus if you crit chain you will deal even more damage (this happens often on my cleric).

So all in all int gives consistent damage while spr is like a gamble but the rewards are far greater. Life is really just a game of chance so I would choose the 25 spr rest int mage over a pure int mage anyday.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #14
Tim87
Slime

Tim87 is on a distinguished road
you dont get 30 DAMAGE actually. It is a true 13 mdef and 5 extra crit rate and 125 sp points for 25 spr. Your stat box says, 1400 damage, when you hit the mob, its like.. 5xx damage or so, so the true 30 damage of "raw power" is more like an extra 10-xx damage per hit depending on the mob, if you go hit slimes at lv 79 it will show a huge difference
Old 07-14-2008, 01:47 AM   #15
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
^No.

The damage numbers shown in stat window show your damage before the mobs def/m.def modifier before lessens it. The damage from IN and STR however bypasses mob defense and hits the targetfor a static increase.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:56 AM   #16
MikeyG
Touch all the butts

Tournaments Won: 10

In-Game Name: lnfamous
Current Level: 6x
Server: Teva
MikeyG has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeyG
i made a lvl 30 pure int mage round the same time my mage was 33
and it didnt even do that more damage. WIth newb hes 25 spr rest int and i
crit ATLEAST 1 every 4 or 5 shots.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #17
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
Consider also that 3x is still close to the lower echelons on the level scale, and thus a level or two makes a noticable difference. Look at PvP if you want to underscore that difference (levels 1-4x I think, difference is notable)

Wow @ 1/4 shots critting. You must have a CS crit item/items.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 AM   #18
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
I'd do 25 spr rest into INT.

You get more SPR, m-def, and a higher crit rate. In the long run, the damage isn't much of a difference. Some people think I'm full INT, but I'm not.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:21 AM   #19
Triumph
Wiki Head Admin

Deal or No Deal Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: FFXIV
Current Level: 80
Server: Coeurl
Triumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud of
Alright, I'll clarify.

As for the spreadsheets, my personal spreadsheets are destroyed. My former laptop is gone, destroyed by a female entity known as my sister. However, if it's possible, I'll see if Icy will divulge his. His were better than mine, anyways.

Secondly, I'll recite what I can remember from testing. Since I really have nothing better to do, yes, I spend time doing math for a game. For want of information rather than walls of text, I'll say this:

Without any critical equipment, the damage margin is smaller between builds. For instance (and this is pure theoretical data), assume that a level 79 mage does 325 damage average on a level 79 fighter in PvP. The theoretical data spread will be this, criticals bolded.

325, 314, 329, 714, 336, 322, 312, 326, 335, 320, 330, 341, 335, 324, 334, 337, 342, 310, 309, 308.

= 6903.

Your critical ratio boost is assumed to be the base critical of a standard wand at 3%. Consequently, your chances are less than ideal for criticals. Now assume that you have a hybrid build, with 69 INT/25 SPR. Your damage will be decreased by roughly 30 or so.

Hypothetically, you have a critical percent boost of 8%, which is almost three times the boost from a pure INT build.

295, 284, 299, [b]560[b], 306, 292, 564, 558, 296, 300, 311, 305, 294, 304, 307, 312, 280, 279, 278.

= 6424

Regardless of critical, the hybrid build does lower damage, despite a higher percent for criticals. This margin increases with the addition of say, a 15% critical boost set, with the further addition of earrings, license, and glasses, at a further addition of 9%, culminating to the addition of 24% to both builds.

Pure build - Critical rate: 27%: 650, 628, 329, 714, 336, 322, 312, 326, 335, 320, 330, 341, 335, 324, 334, 337, 342, 310, 618, 308.

= 7851

Hybrid build - Critical rate: 32%: 590, 284, 299, 560, 306, 292, 564, 558, 296, 300, 622, 305, 294, 304, 307, 312, 560, 279, 278.

= 7310.

Each time, it is proven that a pure build will do more damage. However, these calculations should not be assumed to be fully accurate. The critical rate is based on a static rate: sometimes, half the hits may be criticals; others, none. Consequently, however, in theory, pure build defeats hybrid builds.

If you still don't trust it, go compare a level 79 pure build and a level 79 hybrid build. Collect data for both, using the same weapon and no other equipment. Then add as much critical equipment as possible. I've conducted studies for this as well: pure build defeats a hybrid build.

/end wall of text.

/run tl; dr.exe
Old 07-18-2008, 04:59 PM   #20
FabledWaltz
Phinofly

In-Game Name: Dyaevim
Current Level: 72
Server: Apoline
FabledWaltz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to FabledWaltz
Last I checked adding 1 point of INT didn't add much damage. And even if you miss out on 25 points it's impossible for a pure build to beat a hybrid build. Unless, of course, that hybrid build is 25 SPR and rest END/STR/DEX. Not everyone can afford to buy cash shop items that give you a critical bonus so I don't see the point in including that. I'm probably the unluckiest guy on earth but I still critical quite often and those criticals help a LOT. And mind you, I only use staves so if I used wands i'd probably get more criticals.
Closed Thread