Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
Whats Ruining Society? [Wall of Text]

So my mom and I were talking about money and the economy, my family is having a hard time, but she'd confident we'll be fine. But when we think about it, we have a family of 7 that manages to live off of an income of 50k tops yearly. Not quite sure how much it is.. but we've always been okay, fine, content. We can't take vacations and such, but that's a privilege not a right. We laugh at some of the things people are complaining about lately.

We've watched shows on how to shop cheap and still look good, and they're like "This suit only costs $200 " Amazing!! [/sarcasm]. And people are recently acting like thrift stores were just invented. Like they're the most amazing thing to come around, when my family has been shopping at them for years. Another lady on a news show was bragging that she can shop for a family of 4 and only spend $100. My mom can shop for a family of 7 for less.

Then we got to discussing about how ignorant people can be these days. We think the things that are ruining society is:

1. Materialism
2. Laziness
3. Selfishness

An example being... the iphone. I hate that thing. Its a bunch of crap put into one thing. Just another part of the miniaturization going on in the new millennium. You can watch TV on it! You can play games! You can read a book! You can get directions somewhere! Apparently you can check out your bank account! Oh yeah... you can call people on it too.

It's a frickin' PHONE! An expensive one at that. People have made such a big fuss over that thing. Where I lived, they had a live broadcast of its release, they were interviewing people standing in line at the apple store and cellphone stores waiting to buy it. The phone is $200 minimum at the moment... for the original. Then there's the cost of the plan, set up, fees, "apps", and other various charges. My dads friend watched a football game on his, and his bill was something like $1,500 that month. So that dudes probably spent over $2,000... for a phone. I have a simple LG, it was even free, came with the plan. All I had to do was pay the set up fees.

Why do people like the iphone so much? 1. its apple.. apple's awthum 2. Its little gadgets, its convenient 3. Its a "must have" item. I'm a firm believer of subliminal messaging, and I wouldn't be surprised if apple uses it to sell its products, such as the ipod. The rest of the world has an ipod, I must have one too! Why do you have to get an ipod when there's one with the same amount of space but half the price? Same with the iphone... its a phone, its intended for calling people. There's one sitting next to it in the store that works fine, has the same purpose, and half the price, probably even less, so why are you getting the iphone? Its got gadgets and its convenient! Why buy a book when you can read it on your iphone?

Little do you know.. you're putting a poor little book making company out of business, and putting hundreds/thousands of people out of a job, because the iphone is "eco friendly", you no longer need paper to read, and thus not as many trees are being cut down. But, little do people realize, the radiation from the phones are disturbing the bees, breaking up colonies, thus they aren't pollinating and dying out. Bee's are a vital part of nature, just like trees. How else will you get honey for your organic herbal tea Mr.Hippie?

And yet people complain about the economy, the environment, etc... and they still spent money on this crap.

Sorry for the long read. It's just been something I've been thinking about a lot, and a reason I really dislike society over-all these days, and specifically how Americans seem to be very gullible and vulnerable to these things. I'm looking for other peoples opinions.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
A_Forever
:w

Yeah! Srsly. I agree with you on like.. almost everything in there, haha.

Things are tight for my dad and brothers in Michigan too. But ya know.. Its Michigan >__>
Old 03-08-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
1. Materialism
2. Laziness
3. Selfishness

Definitely. I think society are driven by people's desire. Some people's desire could obviously rule other some other peoples.. (like those big company CEOs that decided to pay themselves billions of bonus then collapse the economy)

As much of an Anti-Apple person that I am, I can't say that "Apple" is ruining the economy. In a way, Apple also have many many employees, and for each person that buys one of their products, they in turn keep someone's job in place.

I don't think people think about the amount of trees they have saved or killed when they buy an iPhone...

I gave it a sarcastic laugh when someone who lined up overnight for the release of iPhone said "IT'S THE BEST PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY EVER!" erm hello? The function on that phone has been around for ages.. just under a different company...

But I think it's fine for people to spend things on luxury when they can afford it. I think it's only natural that human would push for as much as they can afford to make themselves happy.

If people spend their month's dinner money on iPhone, that's going too far.. but if it's spare cash lying around, it's apparently contributing to our economy!

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 03-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #4
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
How is spending on expensive items ruining our society? If you've earned the money, it's your wish if you want to splurge or save...

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #5
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
Its a whole chain of things. It'd take a lot to explain.

But thats the mentality I'm talking about... I earned the money, so I should spend it.

My rant is more towards the people who do spend money because they have it, and will use good chunks of their money on whats basically... pointlessly expensive items. Such as the iphone and ipod (well the ipods not as bad, but the newer ones are pricey).

This rant wasn't directly at apple... its just an example.

My friend got his first credit card a few years ago. He went hog wild with it, didn't budget, didn't pay attention to his spending. He was the one with the job, he was the one with the money, he was the one with the credit card. He's do stuff for us, such as buying us little things here and there, picking up the bill at restaurants. He soon was $400 in debt. A lot for his age.

My mom got a $130 check this week as compensation for her foot. Does that mean she wants to spend it? She earned it... she deserves the money. Doesn't mean she's going to spend it? No. She could. She needs a new vacuum and could've used it to get professional hand-made shoes specifically for her feet.

But its not just about being able to spend the money. Its ridiculous standards. Why would someone want to spend so much on an item? That's like buying a $200 pair of pants when there's a $30 pair of pants next to it, they look the same, one just looks a little fancier and is by a bigger brand name.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:27 AM   #6
Vasu
Malingerer

Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
I'm just saying it's their choice. A credit card isn't "earned" money. It's a type of loan. If you've earned money it's entirely your choice whether you want to buy a $200 phone or a $10 one. There's nothing "wrong" or "selfish" about it.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:31 AM   #7
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
But that's just... human... You'll pay more for things that you like...

Of coz, people should only use "spare cash" for things they desire.. going into debt and spend the money that needs to be spent elsewhere is not appropriate... (like octomom spending her compensation for plastic surgery when there's 14 kids waiting to be fed..? it's all good if she doesnt have kids and only need to feed herself)

It's almost like asking people why should they spend money on an Internet game, it's just pixels and it doesnt give you anything IRL... coz people enjoy it and like it..

otherwise.. why work so hard to earn the money for? Does that mean we should downgrade ourselves to earn JUST enough money to feed ourselves and people taht depends on us? and not try get a bit more for things that we enjoy our lives with?

But if someone earns $300, needs $150 for food and goes and buy $200 pair of jeans JUST for their desire... this person will go into strive very soon...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 03-09-2009, 04:36 AM   #8
Vasu
Malingerer

Quote:
But if someone earns $300, needs $150 for food and goes and buy $200 pair of jeans JUST for their desire... this person will go into strive very soon...
Well, that person got what he wanted. It's like I always think. Take what you want, and pay for it.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 AM   #9
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

then he's gonna starve himself and bet on the street coz he doesn't have the $50 to feed himself for 1/3 of the month?

you need to spend based on wat you earn...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 AM   #10
Vasu
Malingerer

The fact that he's starving is entirely his fault. He should have known the consequences when he bought the pants. If he put fancy pants higher on his priority list than food, then he got what he wanted.

Closed Thread