Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei

I don't see how that would work...

It rarely happens, and even rarely is it caught and dealt with. Its not like every cop is like that.

Just because something is wrong, does not mean it will, or can be stopped. Just got to take it one case at a time. There are far worse things going on in the world, and nothing is being done to stop it. Men have been sent to prison for years and years, in a living Hell, when it turns out they were innocent. They release men out of prison everyday who will turn around and do the same thing that got them in there. Is that fair? Nope, but its a common thing.

The world isn't rainbows and sunshine, nor will it ever be, or can it be. You can't have good without bad.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:26 AM   #12
Jikanu
Lizardman

In-Game Name: Jikanu
Current Level: 46
Server: Teva
Jikanu will become famous soon enoughJikanu will become famous soon enough
Of course not. im not saying go out and riot. but what about the ideals of John Locke? The government gets its power from us. not the other way around. WE have the power to change things. Have you heard of Thoreau's "Civil Disobediance"? many of the ideals i express are derived from his teachings..
Old 05-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #13
Yosei
Corgi Addict

Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
And amongst the "us" are the people who go off claiming to be there for "us", thinking of "us" and has plans to make the world a better place for "us". Everyone in the governments system was once part of "us". Corruption will never die. Those with power become prone to it, very easily.

The former mayor of Detroit for instance...
Quote:
"Mr. Kilpatrick, 37, was charged with eight felony counts, including perjury, obstruction of justice, conspiracy to obstruct justice and misconduct in office. He turned himself in to the authorities just after 5 p.m., and was released on his own recognizance. He has vowed not to resign."
Old 05-24-2009, 07:03 AM   #14
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
What are you doing to your "utmost power," Jikanu?

What are you doing to change things?

Old 05-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #15
Jikanu
Lizardman

Well, im kind of underaged to pay taxes, so that's obviously ruled out. im nothing to the government but an incubating egg; till i hatch, there's thousands to replace me.

However, i AM trying to spread the word about these kinds of things happening. Believe it or not, most people i've told this to around my age were shocked. my parents, not so much. that says alot, really.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:15 AM   #16
Hyper
Sucked back into the 'net

In-Game Name: An occupation
Current Level: 8 hours a day
Server: 4reL-lyfe
Hyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these parts
Haha, wait, so when you're of tax paying age you'll protest against the government by evading taxes?

And they were probably shocked because they haven't heard of it. I'm just guessing, but I'd say your parents, unless severely cut off from the rest of the world, have heard of all of this many times. As opposed to kids, who usually don't read newspapers or news articles on the web.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #17
Yosei
Corgi Addict

Taxes don't go to just the government, military etc. It funds the schools, the city services, even many benefits.

If it weren't for tax payer money, my family would be on the streets right now.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #18
Jikanu
Lizardman

^ im relying on the idea that the government would fumble and concede if they lost enough cash. i doubt it'd be a long-term thing. and hyper, i'll pay taxes as long as they go to programs that i support. if it's for an unjust war, and no one really relies on me, then i'll stop paying taxes for as long as i possibly can, and encourage others in the same position to follow my example. My dad, in fact, did just that, back in the 90's, till he got married and the IRS or something like that came and threatened to take 80% of his paycheck.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #19
Yosei
Corgi Addict

We'd go down with them, if not, first.

You can't control where your taxes go, but you can think that theres one huge bank for the government, you just deposited $1,000, and then the next day, a family is going to get $1,000 worth of food stamps, maybe your money didn't go directly to that, but it contributed.

The longest you can go without paying taxes if 4 years I believe.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #20
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
Originally Posted by Jikanu View Post
^ im relying on the idea that the government would fumble and concede if they lost enough cash. i doubt it'd be a long-term thing. and hyper, i'll pay taxes as long as they go to programs that i support. if it's for an unjust war, and no one really relies on me, then i'll stop paying taxes for as long as i possibly can, and encourage others in the same position to follow my example. My dad, in fact, did just that, back in the 90's, till he got married and the IRS or something like that came and threatened to take 80% of his paycheck.
Several things:

You say you doubt it'd be a long term thing but... you only pay taxes once a year ANYWAY. Long-term is relative but not only would you have to find enough people who would latch onto your idea so that it makes a dent, you'd have to do it for long enough so that the government runs out of money (which seems unlikely anyway since the government already spends more than it takes in every year anyway).

Not to mention the fact that the first programs to go would be stuff like early childhood education, environmental protection, etc. Stuff that, while not necessary, make the country just a little bit better.

And just think the precedent that this would set. If the government allowed so many people to not pay their taxes just because the people didn't like what the government was doing, then
the government wouldn't function right now.

Yosei covered my other point.

Closed Thread