Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #11
Jikanu
Lizardman

In-Game Name: Jikanu
Current Level: 46
Server: Teva
Jikanu will become famous soon enoughJikanu will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg View Post
Aaaand that's where you lost me. It's hard to have rational discourse with someone that holds irrational truths so near and dear.

Here's a little newsflash, we ARE apes.
but is it not the goal of humanity to rise to greater heights and become the best we possibly can? to extend our understanding of the world, and to extend the correctness of our actions? to extend our moral correctness, and try and live the best we possibly can?

Last edited by Jikanu; 03-01-2009 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: decided to add some random stuff.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
Originally Posted by Jikanu View Post
*shrugs*i believe it would be God's decision, but that gets into religion, which this isnt about. i dont think society should choose to kill. that takes us back to more prehistoric times... more primitive. if we dont have the common sense to stop the killing, how are we any better than apes?
God's "decision" isn't going to help us.

Sorry.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
That may be a goal of some humans, and it is laudable, but to say that humanity itself has some sort of ultimate goal is missing the mark. There is no fate, no ultimate end point. We are what we make of it.

If you want to have that goal, boffo. More power to you. My goal might be to have sex with the most women possible, or to acquire the most wealth, or to write the perfect sonata. I think life can be summed up like this: "Your mileage may vary."
Old 03-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #14
Jikanu
Lizardman

That may be a goal of some humans, and it is laudable, but to say that humanity itself has some sort of ultimate goal is missing the mark. There is no fate, no ultimate end point. We are what we make of it.

If you want to have that goal, boffo. More power to you. My goal might be to have sex with the most women possible, or to acquire the most wealth, or to write the perfect sonata. I think life can be summed up like this: "Your mileage may vary."
good point. but humanity seems to be working together to progress. we always have been, even though it's just for our own good at first glance. for example, no matter your lifestyle, you'll most likely have a job, working to provide some form of service, or thinking to solve a problem. that will cause an advancement of some sort, when the company is working as a whole. that advancement will snowball. for example, do you think the first man to make fire was thinking "if i do this, i'll change the world"? no, he was more likely than not thinking "i wonder what will happen if i rub these sticks together..." Therefore, even if it's unwittingly, we all play a part in some form of advancement, whether it be philosophical, ecological, technological, political, whatever.

Originally Posted by Ralath View Post
God's "decision" isn't going to help us.

Sorry.
what exactly do you mean? your comment doesnt make sense to me. i'm simply saying there's no point in killing the prisoner. the death penalty just ends things. as previously stated by hrae, new evidence comes up all the time. however, there's no way to be 100% sure. plus, as i said before, the death penalty is more expensive than feeding the prisoner. i was simply saying that no human has the right to take that of another, no matter who the person. unless your life, or the life of another is in danger, you shouldn't kill, therefore giving a moral reason to stop it along with the logical one.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
If not us, and by that I mean we as a society, then who?
Originally Posted by Jikanu View Post
*shrugs*i believe it would be God's decision, but that gets into religion, which this isnt about.
I'm referencing this quote. I'm saying that someone has to decide.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #16
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Ralath View Post
I'm referencing this quote. I'm saying that someone has to decide.
Thus quoth the sage Geddy Lee, "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Old 03-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #17
xDario
Angry Wolf

In-Game Name: Shade
Current Level: 87 (10% tnl, retierd)
Server: Bijou EU.
xDario is on a distinguished road
I think people should have the choise.
If they want to die or spend the rest of their lives in jail.
ofc, then they would need to ake killing quick and painless.

Married to my lovely Teruki.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #18
Jikanu
Lizardman

Originally Posted by xDario View Post
I think people should have the choise.
If they want to die or spend the rest of their lives in jail.
ofc, then they would need to ake killing quick and painless.
...they're criminals. i dont think that they should really have a choice at that point ._.

the judge deciding is for the best.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:09 PM   #19
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I agree with Hrae here.. (or his first post at least.. skim read the rest)

That just because we cant be SURE that someone has committed a deadly crime.. the fact that a wrong person could be killed... I don't support death penalties..

I'd think that most victims and their families are "relieve" to some point, to know that the person is locked away from the society... Just that they cant be out harming more people is usually the most important thing... (or I would think it is)

I just don't like the idea that people with a "life sentence" could be release after 30 years or something...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 03-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
Jikanu
Lizardman

good point... but i dont see how the life sentance would expire after thirty years, unless they got through on parole, or were proven innocent.
Closed Thread