Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

In-Game Name: yummy
Current Level: skewl
lamchopz has disabled reputation
Islam is incompatible with democracy. Discuss.

Before going ahead, watch this audiovisual presentation:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/fora/storie.../2250123-p.htm

Length of video: 1:40:28

You need to watch only the first 6 speakers' speeches, which is about 30 minutes in total.

It's one of the topics that captivate me. I'm curious to see how many here share the same interest.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by lamchopz; 01-21-2009 at 08:49 AM..
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
xDario
Angry Wolf

In-Game Name: Shade
Current Level: 87 (10% tnl, retierd)
Server: Bijou EU.
xDario is on a distinguished road
No yourutbe at scool
-will look at it when im home-
Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #3
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
Uhh...it opened Barack Obama's swearing in ceremony.

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Old 01-21-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

link is updated. LOL

Old 01-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
Haven't watched the video.

Islam clearly is compatible with democracy because Islam is the predominant religion in some democratic countries, Turkey probably being most prominent.

On a completely different side note, it is said that the best form of government is a benevolent dictatorship anyway so I don't know why Islam necessarily has to be compatible with democracy to begin with.

Don't really know where you want to go with this discussion since you haven't really started it yet.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #6
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

The video contains most of what I want to say (I'm for the affirmative side) and also the opposing views.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Server: Teva
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Care to summarise it a bit? 1:40:28 is a very long time..
Old 01-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
I'd have to say it is compatible.

Why wouldn't it be? + it seems to work well enough over here.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
I'd watch it, but I got another video loading and it eats up my connection x.x I'll check it out later.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

This topic is about religion vs. politics. Personally, I don't see how a(ny) religion is compatible with democracy.

As one speaker pointed out, Christianity has undergone substantial changes to become harmonious with today's lifestyle. A religion in its original form, which was conceived thousands of years ago, can in no way fit in our view of a modern world. Islam is no exception. It has remained the same for thousands of years - something to which a friend of mine showed her deep regards.

The problem here is that those who practise Islam are faithful to the religion and resistant to change. It is understandable because changing a religion means changing the sacred doctrine that a religious follower is meant to uphold. However, the challenge is that Islam now exists in another society which in many ways does not see many of its features as "compatible with democracy". Instances that were singled out were the treatment towards women, the closure of the Muslim community and such. I have a lot of Muslim friends and for a while, I have been exploring Islam. I recall at one stage, I asked to visit a Muslim friend's house. He hesitated and did not indicate any possible time for my visit whereas the other Muslims were readily invited and could come over any time. This is an anecdotal evidence of closure.

Of course many of us will often think of the extremist cases when the term Islam is mentioned. The video is a discussion and an attempt to bring a more moderate representation of Islam.

This topic signifies the importance of secularity. The concept surfaced as a result of historic revolutions - science, technology and political philosophy. It has endured centuries of hardship. Many examples of the oppression imposed the ruling church can be drawn, of which my favourite one is Galileo and his heliocentrism which he was forced to deny because it opposed the teaching of the church. A theocratic authority is by no means an optimal model for governance. The speakers demonstrated that apart from Turkey which is a struggling democracy but a democracy nonetheless, the other Middle Eastern states are essentially Muslim states. This harks back to the Europe that consisted of largely Christian states. The facts are there for one to appraise and measure. A pertinent point here is that a dilemma has presented itself: Islam is targeted because some of its principles do not satisfy the way of a democratic life.

The defensive team brought up lots of arguments, which to me were weakly persuasive. However, their last speaker made two important and compelling points:

- What is democracy?
- What is "incompatible"?

So I leave my discussion here with those two questions for you to consider and another, which is obvious but elusive:

- Have we, those who live in the "West", been unfairly marking Islam as a target for repudiation?

Closed Thread