Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
nekoneko
Mara Pirate Sailor

Mahjongg Champion!
In-Game Name: Koyagichan/Kawaiinekochan/Slice_Dice/Koyagikun
Current Level: 87.28/60/60/60
Server: Apoline
nekoneko is on a distinguished road
Is there a causal link between computer games and aggressive/violent behavior?

So, my professor made the second topic, and here it is.

Here are the questions:

Q1. Time to weigh in: Do you believe there is a link between computer gaming and aggressive/violent behavior? Defend your answer.

Q2. Is the influence of the game dependent of the nature of the violence indulged? For example, is there a difference in impact between 'shooting' people and battling alien creatures to the death?

Q3. Is the current game-rating system sufficient? If not, how would you change it?

Q4. Should stricter controls be in place limiting who has access to especially graphic or violent computer games? How could this be made effective for controlling on-line gaming?

I'd like to hear your thoughts again guys <3

Oh, on a side note, I got stuck on team pro, that there is a link; but I'd like to see both sides of the arguement from you guys if possible
Old 09-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
1: I don't think so, but if there is, only a very small one. Violence in a game =/= violence in real-life.

Bashing buttons on a plastic-pad does not equal a compulsion to actually bash someone's face in. I think you would either have to be mentally-unstable before playing games to be influenced by them, and as such is not the fault of the game. I myself, and a lot of my friends have played/do play violent games and I don't think that we have any more violent tendencies than the average person. Usually the opposite is true after a really competetive session.

2: You could say that the more fantastical/unrealistic a game is, the less 'dangerous' for people it can be considered to be. Take a game like Halo (eww) for instance where you 'kill' masses of aliens with guns that resemble toys. Contrast this with Manhunt where you graphically and viciously murder and mutilate human-NPCs with objects you can find around the common-household.

3: I wouldn't really know. There's no age-limit on the black-market.

4: It ultimately comes to be the parent's responsibility, both for deciding whether they should accept their child playing violent games at all and when they decide their children mature enough to do so, and to monitor what their child does in their spare-time. You can set up however many restrictions you want but the truly determined will get their hands on them anyway. There's no substitute for good parenting.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #3
Mindspank
Flying Staff

In-Game Name: Mindspank
Current Level: 103 Sharpshooter
Server: Bijou
Mindspank will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Mindspank
I am long winded about this issue, so bear with me. I am a father of 6 children and have ALOT to say about this issue.

Question One:
There is no link between digital violence indulgence and real violent behavior. I believe that in the past, people have tried to use video games as a scapegoat to lessen their consequences for whatever idiotic thing they got caught doing. Also on the other side of the coin, people by nature need someone or something to blame. So when there is nothing else TO blame, they start to look for mediums to blame. Much the same way Marilyn Manson was blamed for the events that triggered the columbine high school shooting. Every parent of the shooters thought their child could do no wrong, so they tried to blame something else.

Video game violence is a horrible stigma that will take YEARS to purge from the community, because there is gonna always be that stupid soccer mom who knows nothing about video games that thinks her angelic little timmy could never have the capability mentally to push his friend off the jungle gym, and is going to link his new Barny video game to his outbursts of violence. I mean sure as all hell, Barbie and Me Pony Adventure isnt gonna want to make me go out and buy a pony.

This is the same as saying "The Devil Made Him Do It!" We are all responsible for our choices. That's the reality we face. If it was possible to blame video games for everything that went wrong with society, We would be a world full of head shot junkies and carjacking drug dealing superstars. The average life expectancy of an American would be about 5 years.

Violent behavior is genetically predetermined.

Question Two:
If there WAS any kind of link between violence in games and violence in reality, then no. Violence is just that, no matter what form it is. Battling aliens is just the same as ripping some guys spine out. All forms of violence, no matter what they are, trigger the same areas in the brain.

Question Three:
The current game rating system is NOT sufficient (The ESRB received mostly D and D- reviews from their yearly feedback system)

I would venture to remove the rating system completely. Its worthless. It is just another way that the government is trying to tell you how to raise your family. Once the game gets home, the ESRB doesn't care who plays it. They are just trying to keep minors from purchasing it, which is ridiculous. I don't need a council of three old, barren women to tell me that my 6 year old son cant play mercenaries 2. I would quickly tell them to stuff a sock in it. My children know the difference between reality and video games because I am an ACTIVE parent. I sit with my children and explain to them whats real and whats not. And what would happen if my son decided to jack a military vehicle and call in air strikes on a city. And while more realistic, they also know they all cant be Niko Bellic in reality. Everything they do and see in video games, I watch it and make sure they understand they cant do those things in reality.

Question Four:
I don't believe stricter controls should be placed because I am for removing the controls completely. They treat video games like guns at retailers. Next thing you know your gonna need a background check before you can pick up that new copy of Cooking Mama for your daughter. And all because some tart seen a knife in the game. It all comes down to the parents. Bottom line. Bad parents will raise bad children more often than not. There are those few that are good coming from bad families, and worse coming from good families. But I also believe the outcome of a child's personality all depends on how STRONG of a parent you are as well. If your a naive dolt who believes your son has never had homework the entire time he has been in school, he is gonna believe he can do whatever he wants because YOU are a weak parent and believe his word is as good as gold.

I'm not saying to suspect your child for everything that goes wrong, but be strong enough as a parent to have a backbone. Establish standards and enforce them. Structured children lead structured lives. You let them run around like hooligans, and you just MIGHT be raising the next Niko Bellic.

Fiesta - Mindspank - Bijou - 103 Sharpshooter
Aion - Mindspank - Israphel - 65 Ranger
Old 10-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
Pedobear
Marlone Megaton

In-Game Name: Thanatopsis
Current Level: 35
Pedobear will become famous soon enough
there is actually a casual link between violent games and violent behavior (source here later when i get around to looking for it)

the thing is, a correlation doesn't prove causation. The data linking the behavior and the games could just as easily prove that violent people tend to flock towards violent video games as it could prove that violent video games make people behave violently.

off topic: +1 internets to mindspank for the House quote.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Server: Teva
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
No, there isn't, and if you suggest it again, I'll rip out your spine and feed it to you.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:12 AM   #6
Spirit
complete once again

Tournaments Won: 11

In-Game Name: Spirit_of_Water, Spirit_of_Earth, Spirit_of_Fire, Spirit_of_Wind, Spirit_of_Sky
Current Level: Level 101 Guardian, Level 70 Fighter, Level 90 Mage, Level 89 Archer, Level 72 Trickster
Spirit has disabled reputation
Please keep in mind that everyone is entitle to their opinions. It does not make one person right or one person wrong. Everyone has their own ideas and views about different things. Please keep this conversation mature and leave the threats/insults to the kids on the playground.

Spirit_of_Water- -Spirit_of_Earth- -Spirit_of_Fire- -Spirit_of_Wind- -Spirit_of_Sky
x101xxxxxxxxxxx70xxxxxxxxxx90xxxxxxxxxx89xxxxxxxxxxx72
Old 10-11-2008, 05:17 AM   #7
kirbysprite
Would you like a fork?

Tournaments Won: 2

In-Game Name: kirbysprite | kirbycoke | kirbyade | kirbypunch
Current Level: 37|21|12|3
kirbysprite has disabled reputation
Spirit, I think Hrae really wasn't insulting anyone. He was kidding, I think.

Rip out your spine, aggressive/violent behavior (?)

Get it?

Thanks cillia!

ks = kirbysprite
ks =\= kill steal
STOP THE CONFUSION!
Old 10-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #8
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
Even if it was a joke this isn't MoS so unless you have something to add to the topic itself then it doesn't exactly belong here. If you disagree you'll need to expand on it. It's a discussion afterall.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:24 AM   #9
Spirit
complete once again

Tournaments Won: 11

In-Game Name: Spirit_of_Water, Spirit_of_Earth, Spirit_of_Fire, Spirit_of_Wind, Spirit_of_Sky
Current Level: Level 101 Guardian, Level 70 Fighter, Level 90 Mage, Level 89 Archer, Level 72 Trickster
Spirit has disabled reputation
Yes, and it was not directed at anyone in particular. It was a simple thread warning so that the discussion would not head in that direction. If everyone were to start posting "violent jokes" directed at one another, it would not take long for someone to take something the wrong way. Call it a precautionary measure.

EDIT: Loveless was quicker than me. : o

Spirit_of_Water- -Spirit_of_Earth- -Spirit_of_Fire- -Spirit_of_Wind- -Spirit_of_Sky
x101xxxxxxxxxxx70xxxxxxxxxx90xxxxxxxxxx89xxxxxxxxxxx72
Old 10-11-2008, 06:50 AM   #10
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

In-Game Name: yummy
Current Level: skewl
lamchopz has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by Hraesvelg View Post
No, there isn't, and if you suggest it again, I'll rip out your spine and feed it to you.
LOL

Back on topic:

Q1. Time to weigh in: Do you believe there is a link between computer gaming and aggressive/violent behavior? Defend your answer.

Yes and No. If you play long enough, you might start to imitate the behaviours in the game (given you're secluded from the social environment). No studies have produced conclusive results in this aspect. So for now, we can only voice our opinions. I believe you can, indeed, be affected by the violence to some extent. But as genes don't wholly determine one characteristic, game violence doesn't, on its own, necessarily promote aggression.

Q2. Is the influence of the game dependent of the nature of the violence indulged? For example, is there a difference in impact between 'shooting' people and battling alien creatures to the death?

Refer to my answer to Q1.

Q3. Is the current game-rating system sufficient? If not, how would you change it?

I'm not much of a gamer so I am not very familiar with the titles and their respective ratings. All I can say is games tend to be MA15+ these days and under 15+ have been playing them. Just the reality.

Q4. Should stricter controls be in place limiting who has access to especially graphic or violent computer games? How could this be made effective for controlling on-line gaming?

We have tried to impose restrictions and taken preventative measures against kids having access to adult materials but in the end, it's just plain hopeless. For example, they can ask their friends who are of legitimate age to rent/purchase the game for them. The best way for all this to work is early education which requires parents to pay attention to how they raise their kids and the environment in which those kids grow up.

-------------------------------------------------
Closed Thread