Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #1
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
De Facto may seek Spouse Maintenance

A new law has passed for Aussies...

Quote:
Love cheats may pay for affairs
Claire Lowe
November 12, 2008 - 9:49AM

Extramarital affairs could really cost you, with new laws set to allow ex-lovers to get money out of their former partners through the courts.

Changes to the Family Law Act could also threaten the bank balances of polygamous husbands or others with a string of former partners should they decide to take legal action.

These changes, passed in the Senate yesterday, will grant de facto partners together for two years the same rights as married couples when seeking spousal maintenance.
Full Article

So if you live with someone for 2 years or more, and you want to break up, there's a chance they can take you to court and demand a spousal maintenance.

Seems a bit scary. So many young people nowadays lives together, all of a sudden after a 2 years mark (which I think is pretty short), they could potentially be locked in legally, and they wouldn't even know it.

In a way, this gives same-sex couples the same rights as married couples if a relationship's gone bad. But are they over doing it a bit with this new law?

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
That does seem a bit scary and 2 years is probably nothing to a lot of people living together. I suppose it will make couples think twice about living together too early and the commitment that comes with sharing a home.

But still seems a bit extreme... not everyone breaks up on good terms.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
Belaslav
Yank me.

In-Game Name: -quit-
Current Level: -quit-
Server: Teva
Belaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Belaslav
Seems a little extreme IMO. I bet now they'll keep a calendar for this thing... Like this scenario:

- "Will you be my girlfriend?"
- "Sur."
- "Hawt."

/writes down date

*1 year and 364 days later guy looks at calendar*

O shi...

/breaks up

Teh Edn.

EDIT: Dam I just realized it's not MoS.

Free software for Virus, Malware, Adware and Spyware protection: Avast and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Those of you using Firefox I recommend NoScript and AdBlock Plus addons.

Last edited by Belaslav; 11-12-2008 at 12:24 AM..
Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah... and.. imagine you're 23... found a sugar bf... lived together for 3 years... and he pays for all the rent and food...

3 years later he goes off with another girl... and u're 26.. u can sit on your bum and demand spouse maintenance from him...

well i dunno if the court will approve something like that when you're probably well and capable to find your own job... but it does give unreasonable people an avenue to seek money from others...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 11-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #5
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
So, if the female decides to break it off, would a guy be able to get money from her?
Old 11-12-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
Loveless
Super Moderator

I would think so? I mean it shouldn't be that the man is the only person responsible when it comes to break-ups.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #7
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Supposingly it should work the same way... (if the guy has been financially dependent on the woman....)

but i somehow believe that the guy will have to work 5x extra hard to prove he needs the compensation from the woman... than if it was the other way around

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 11-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
I was just curious about how the courts worked over there. They tend to skew in the woman's favor here quite heavily when it comes to family court things.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:42 AM   #9
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Yeah i think they do skew more in the woman's favour most of the time... I'm not 100% sure either... but thats the impression I get from things like that...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 11-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #10
Loveless
Super Moderator

Women have the greatest weapon at their disposal: tears.

But really, I'm guessing that people who start living together are usually in their 20s maybe early 30s... I would think that both sides are more than capable of taking care of themselves. If they are not at that age then... yeesh, god forbid. In my opinion, if they have the time and money to take such matters to court they should go find a new place, perhaps a new job and move on. Of course people have taken lesser matters to court.
Closed Thread