Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #21
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath

Originally Posted by Vasu View Post
The critic would have a job because he's gushing out with pleasure at the work of art.
That's not a critic. That's a fan.

crit·ic
–noun
1. a person who judges, evaluates, or criticizes
2. One who forms and expresses judgments of the merits, faults, value, or truth of a matter.

Quote:
When I run in a 100m dash, the winner is judged by who came first i.e who ran fastest. It's not judged by the fact that 1 of the sprinters lost a relative that morning and is therefore under emotional duress or by the fact that another of the sprinters ran more "elegantly". Similarly, art should also be judged by art alone.
What Hrae said.

But also, art isn't measured by how many lines a poem has. Or how many brush strokes it took to create the art.

And as for your sports analogy, I think if you look at the Olympics and news coverage, stories are interesting because of the context and themes. Remember Derek Redmond?

His story is interesting and remember not because he finished first, but because of the context that he finished in.

Similarly, Kerri Strug.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:20 AM   #22
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
Originally Posted by Ralath View Post
That's not a critic. That's a fan.

crit·ic
–noun
1. a person who judges, evaluates, or criticizes
2. One who forms and expresses judgments of the merits, faults, value, or truth of a matter.
I point out those bold words because they include appreciating a matter.

What Hrae said.

But also, art isn't measured by how many lines a poem has. Or how many brush strokes it took to create the art.

And as for your sports analogy, I think if you look at the Olympics and news coverage, stories are interesting because of the context and themes. Remember Derek Redmond?

Derek Redmond

His story is interesting and remember not because he finished first, but because of the context that he finished in.

Similarly, Kerri Strug.
Stories are interesting and sportspersons are remembered, but that doesn't put the trophy in their cabinet. It's the guy who ran fastest who wins it in the end. Similarly, the painter who paints best should be decided objectively by some benchmark.

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Old 10-08-2008, 04:28 AM   #23
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Server: Teva
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
Trying to objectify art totally misses the point of art. There are no "winners" and "losers" in art...art exists for the sake of art. It uplifts the human spirit, if only in the one who creates it.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #24
Vasu
Malingerer

Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
Then why bother with public displays of art?

Old 10-08-2008, 05:05 AM   #25
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Server: Teva
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
I didn't say that it only uplifed the spirit of the creator. Public displays allow others to share in the expression of creativity.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:11 AM   #26
Vasu
Malingerer

I can't argue with you on that point. I guess I'm just not the art type, because i never really feel great when I see such displays.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:21 AM   #27
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
I point out those bold words because they include appreciating a matter.
But you can't just bold those words and say that's what a critic does. That's unfair. You can't be selective and only choose the words that suit your purposes. Yes, a critic does find the merit in art. But that is only a part of their job. That's like saying what a principal does is bad because all he does is discipline students.

..hrm... Hegel abstraction.

Then why bother with public displays of art?
Just because there is a public display doesn't mean there is necessarily a "winner" and a "loser." Speeches--public displays of speech. But comparing Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech with Abraham Lincoln's "Gettysburg Address"--which is the winner and which is the loser? Or documents? Which is the winner--the Declaration of Independence or the Magna Carta?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:40 AM   #28
Vasu
Malingerer

But you can't just bold those words and say that's what a critic does. That's unfair. You can't be selective and only choose the words that suit your purposes. Yes, a critic does find the merit in art. But that is only a part of their job. That's like saying what a principal does is bad because all he does is discipline students.

..hrm... Hegel abstraction.
Yes, but what I feel is that a majority of the critics will be gushing out in pleasure because of the social standing of the artist in question. they'll be pretty much "flamed" in a manner of speaking, if they differ. At the very least, they aren't taken seriously.

Just because there is a public display doesn't mean there is necessarily a "winner" and a "loser." Speeches--public displays of speech. But comparing Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech with Abraham Lincoln's "Gettysburg Address"--which is the winner and which is the loser? Or documents? Which is the winner--the Declaration of Independence or the Magna Carta?
You really want to know my answer on this one? I think the speech that instigated a greater percentage of people towards the cause it was supporting was the better speech. I don't know which one it was in this case.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #29
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Yes, but what I feel is that a majority of the critics will be gushing out in pleasure because of the social standing of the artist in question. they'll be pretty much "flamed" in a manner of speaking, if they differ. At the very least, they aren't taken seriously.
Critics usually don't care about the "social standing" of the artist. Or they shouldn't, at any rate.

And they wouldn't get flamed, they would just have people who strongly disagree with them.

Quote:
You really want to know my answer on this one? I think the speech that instigated a greater percentage of people towards the cause it was supporting was the better speech. I don't know which one it was in this case.
But that's not measurable. And even if it were measurable, it wouldn't stand the test of time because you can't measure how many people were swayed by the Gettysburg Address today.

And you definitely can't measure documents that way.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:11 AM   #30
Vasu
Malingerer

Then I'd go with whichever cause seemed more worthy of appreciation.

And documents aren't art. They're simple statements of facts. You can't ask - Which facts are truer?

Closed Thread