Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:22 AM   #11
A_Forever
:w

Originally Posted by kirbysprite View Post
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.

Best book ever. Well, it is for me, and I hate reading.
Read that in 7th grade. It is a good book, but definitely not the best. There are way better books out there. Prey by Michael Crichton, for example, is better xD!

Its hard for me to understand how someone can't like reading o-o Find a subject you really like or umm.. something and read D:! Reading is good for you!

Oh && yeahh.. I recommend Prey. I read it like last school year or something. Its kind of science-fiction schtuff. :x
Old 09-26-2008, 05:43 AM   #12
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe i'm just not good with finding a good book..

and i'm not very patient... most books like to be very descriptive and they spend 3-4 pages just describing the environment that can be "seen" in 2 seconds..

thats partly how i lost interest in HP LOL

i like books that has... more action less description. And I hvnt come across too many...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 09-26-2008, 06:05 AM   #13
a.L
A to the R to the K

a.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud of
I read forums.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #14
Hazu
Blue Clover Trumpy

In-Game Name: Lets run away
Current Level: together
Server: from this place
Hazu will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Hazu
^^ Um.. my fav books would be the Warriors Series by Erin Hunter. Fantastic books...about cats. ^^ lol
And any book by Tamora Pierce
Eragon, Eldest, and I think Brisinger just came out but I havent gotten to read it yet but I bet it'll be fantastic.
The OutsidersAn Otters Story (forgot author..)
Inkheart and Inkspell. Fantastic fantasy books that I would defiantly reccoment to anyone with a love for books and for fantasy.
Unforgetable not sure the author XD
TailChaser's song Fantastic, yet somewhat confusing book about a cat named Tailchaiser. Its really interesting though :3
The Sight A book about a family of wolves . Depressing and interesting @_@ first book taht took me two times to read it to fully understand it though.

Last edited by Hazu; 09-27-2008 at 06:38 AM..
Old 09-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #15
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

In-Game Name: yummy
Current Level: skewl
lamchopz has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by a.L View Post
I read forums.
LOL

My latest reading:

1984 by George Orwell: the world was divided into three superstates which were called different names but operated on the same principles. The story walks alongside Winston, an Outer Party member, who struggled to find the reality only to succumb to delusion in the end. The novel has a lot to say about the so-called revolutions that, historically, renewed the governing bodies, the consequences, the fate of the working people and the fragility of the human minds. Two plus two does not always make four. It's the tenet of doublethink. But more broadly, isn't it how we think anyway? If you have read Orwell's prose on the modern English language, you will like what he did with the Newspeak and the fantastic essay that follows the main story. There are more to discuss but I'll leave it to your interpretation.

Cheers

-------------------------------------------------
Old 09-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #16
Esen
Mini Jewel Keeper

In-Game Name: Kayem
Current Level: 5X
Server: Teva
Esen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Esen
Hmm...

Favorite? Books by Anne McCaffrey maybe? Not sure, don't think I have one since I liked some books for different reasons. I like the world of Pern though. I haven't even read half of them, but I like the setting. A setting I'm willing to enjoy can reel me in even if the main character doesn't interest me. A good story helps too of course, but sometimes I'm even willing to ignore that... It's probably why I like cute simulation games.

Things set in the past are also usually fun for me, any time period will do. And by past I mean either the author chose that time period or the author was from that time period.

Pretty much any genre is good with me too~ Oh, but not horror. I don't like getting creep out. >_< If it was a short book or something, I could probably handle it, but if it's a long one, I really rather have someone else tell me what happens. xD

Least favorite I believe is The Scarlet Letter. I did have a little bit of interest at one point, but it was completely gone after a few more pages.

zZzZzZzZz
Dragon Cave
Old 09-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #17
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
1984 seriously scared the shet out of me. One of the most depressing books I have ever read. Though interesting point on Newspeak and Orwell's essays on language. The only one I've read is Orwell's "Politics and the English Language" and he really advocates for the simplification of English. But at the same time, I don't think he's advocating for Newspeak because he portrays it so... negatively.

<3 Anne McCaffrey. Loved Pern. Except damn Jaxom and his white dragon. He just pissed me off all the time.

Scarlet Letter should be interesting in principle. I have always been meaning to read it.

As I Lay Dying is my personal enemy. Faulkner prose? EWWWICH.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 AM   #18
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
I've read 1984 in Gr. 11(?) English class. It wasn't a bad book at all.

There are a lot of books that I know are good but I don't remember them at all. Went on a book reading frenzy in grade school trying to learn English...

@Hazu: My brother reads Eragon series too and he said that the latest book was really good.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #19
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
Reading Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Fantasy with dark undertones, set in a world/worlds where the stage of war is the way of life. One thing I always read in reviews about this series are the reviewers raving about the characterization. I'd have to agree.

The characterization in the book is so powerful that you can identify as soon as the scene shifts, just who the focus changes to and the characters are so gripping and believable that despite the multitude of characters in the books, you'll get to know them all. There are so many plot-threads to keep a hold of with different characters in different places, that some readers unaccustomed to it may get lost, but nonetheless manages to come together in the most beautiful way. Believable and exciting action scenes, intrigue, amaaazziinngg characters, the books come highly reccommended. Saving up to get the first 3 books, I unknowingly started reading the fourth first >_>

__

Least favorite books would have to be the vampire series by Stephanie Meyer (don't remember the name of the series) It's not that bad per se, but after reading what some people were writing about it and what some people were saying, I expected a little bit more than what I actually got.

I found the characters impossible to identify with, -spoiler-impossibly handsome+beautiful+rich+omnipotent+sparkly+ageless demi-gods who cavort in sunlight and wrestle mountain-lions. Meyer's attempts to build Bella's character seemed a bit weak, her liking of classical music (not sure if I remember this right) [and some other media not normally liked by her peers] just seemed like poorly done name-dropping to try to create a 'unique' character. The only other character trait I noticed was clumsiness and the ability to somehow make every male around her fall in love with her.
-spoiler-

And of course, falling in love with the Gary S- ....Edward Cullen.

The writing could have also used some (a lot ) of working on but it did the job, it didn't help that Bella ended up

-spoiler-absolutely perfect herself with perfect control and lolwtfpowerslol!along of course with her impossibly genius/perfect/AHMAAAAZZZIIINNGGGG!!!! vampire-baby, whos birth scene btw remains at the top of my most horrific scenes in fiction. -spoiler-

The book was by no means the worst I've ever read, but it didn't do much for me either.

Last edited by Ivramire; 09-27-2008 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: another spoiler tag
Old 09-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
Luna
Marlone Fighter

Luna has a spectacular aura aboutLuna has a spectacular aura about
Ahhh -slaps Ivra's hand- Don't spoil Twilight..I haven't finished the series T_T
Closed Thread