Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 AM   #11
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute

Rust sounds too intense..

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Hessah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:51 AM   #12
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
I don't like Rust

Ralath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 AM   #13
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Server: Teva
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Rust doesn't like you
Old 07-22-2014, 04:12 AM   #14
a.L
A to the R to the K

a.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud of
Rust is a big poopy-head

lolidk
a.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
System looks great to play nearly all games out today. I see you're getting an SSD as well. Install your Windows or whatever OS onto that drive and brace yourself for some lightning fast boot-ups.

Also don't defragment your SSD. Not recommended. Alsoooo maybe you can do without that proprietary anti-virus stuff. I've found AVG or Avast! work just fine and don't keep annoying you with pop-ups about your license as long as you get the free one.

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Vasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #16
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Originally Posted by Vasu View Post
System looks great to play nearly all games out today. I see you're getting an SSD as well. Install your Windows or whatever OS onto that drive and brace yourself for some lightning fast boot-ups.

Also don't defragment your SSD. Not recommended. Alsoooo maybe you can do without that proprietary anti-virus stuff. I've found AVG or Avast! work just fine and don't keep annoying you with pop-ups about your license as long as you get the free one.
Yesyes make sure you do that because that's what my friend did for my comp too!

I use free Avast at home now as well. It's got such good reviews.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #17
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Vasu!

The computer people will do all the installation... they should know to install window on the SDD.. but I'll make a note of it anyway...

And thanks for the tip on the defragment.. wouldn't have known that!

Okies I shall check out free Avast.. I think that's what I've got currently on my XP as well.. the only thing not on there is MS Office...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #18
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Why isn't defragmentation recommended?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:05 PM   #19
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
This might turn into a bit of a wall of text, but I'm bored at work anyway hehe, so:

In a traditional Hard Disk Drive (HDD) you have multiple layers of the storage on a spinning type platter with a small magnetic head that actually does the read/write stuff on the HDD. It's best used for reading sequentially, because the head starts reading and the platter spins and the head keeps reading along that sequential track. Now if the data is heavily fragmented i.e. the data is not stored in this ideal sequence, the platter has to do some extra spinning and takes a little more time for the entire read/write to be done, which is why defragmentation is a great idea to do every once in a while.

On a Solid State Drive (SSD) however, you just have a bunch of flash storage chips sitting around and they can all be accessed and read/write at the same time. As a result the SSD actually intentionally writes data all over the place, trying to utilize as many of the chips as possible to be even faster. So an SSD is essentially meant to be (atleast slightly) fragmented.

So why don't we all switch to SSDs? As great as they are, they're not only more expensive than HDDs but they also have a lesser lifespan. So any frequent use small documents of yours such as music, office files etc might be better stored on your regular HDD for now.

Edit: Oh also defragmenting causes a whole bunch of unnecessary read/writes and doesn't really improve performance while decreasing life so that's why it's mainly not recommended. I realized I didn't even answer the question.

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Vasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #20
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Ohh... sounds like the SSD needs a lot more care... good to know all this upfront..

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...