Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
O-mie
Lilian's Maid

Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: Omies (5x Cleric) Fable (4x Archer)
Current Level: OVER 900000000
Server: Teva
O-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to beholdO-mie is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to O-mie Send a message via MSN to O-mie
Same Gender Marriages in MMOs

This is kind of a weird discussion, but important none the less, I suppose.

First of all, lets not start any flames. If somebody has a different opinion than you, don't start attacking them, lets keep this civil guys.

Alright, here goes.

In the game I am playing with Lilian, there's this thing where you can sort of "marry" a character, er rather, you become lovers, and by feeding the system these stone things, you can level up the bond and gain skills. So, we get the required stones and we're all, yay! Only to find out it says "Sorry, but same gender couples are not available yet."

Yet.

So, I go to the official forums and make a post, asking if by yet, we will actually get them. The topic is almost immediatly locked, but not before another player posted links to similar topics (All which were locked) that had questions as innocent as mine. So I was curious as to why they were locked, and skimmed through them.

I was disgusted at how some people reacted to the idea of same-gender couples in a game. Comments like, "If you wanna go against nature, do it somewhere else, we don't need it in a game." "I can't believe people want this, if they allow it I'm quitting" "How could we as a society even allow this sort of thing to happen?" "If they put in same-gender lovers, there'd be a political and moral mess and it would give the game a terrible image."

I know some of them are obviously children, but age isn't an excuse for ignorance... I mean, who are they to try and deny people affections if they care about each other? Naturally they say, oh well just make a male and female pair, but why does it HAVE to be male and female, I mean heck i know a lot of guys who play girls and a lot of girls who play guys, just because its same-sex doesn't mean they are going to start cybering in the middle of town or something. Could be two friends, or sisters or brothers who just want those nice skills.

Apparently the asian version of the game has same-gender lovers implemented, yet people are making such a fuss about it in the NA version.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

Remember, try to be civil, no bashing/flaming etc.

"Stand up for what you believe is right, even if you're standing alone."

Omies [5x Cleric] Fable [4x Archer] Omie [1x Mage] Wigglytuff [2x Fighter]
Teva

Nakama //GrandPaprika // Symphony
O-mie's Art Gallery || Sketch-Blog

Old 12-07-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
Pritcher
Senior Torturer

Pritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Pritcher Send a message via MSN to Pritcher Send a message via Yahoo to Pritcher
Doesn't shock me at all that people act that way. The U.S is a nation of prudes and too many groups make such a huge stink over the "gay epidemic" . Remember when they flipped out over that supposedly gay teletubby? How ridiculous was that? The game's publisher here is just taking the safe route.

Personally I think it's silly for anyone force their beliefs on others no matter what they are. No one should be able to tell anyone else how to live their life. I'm open minded to pretty much anything and I don't really care what other people do as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

-------
I'm taking an indefinite break from Fiesta.

Join the FiestaFan Folding@Home team! Details, questions and comments HERE
Old 12-07-2007, 05:52 AM   #3
viasta
RAGING OVERHEATTT!!!!!!!!

Tournaments Won: 4

In-Game Name: viaAoE
Current Level: Level of viasta
Server: Epith
viasta is a splendid one to beholdviasta is a splendid one to beholdviasta is a splendid one to beholdviasta is a splendid one to beholdviasta is a splendid one to beholdviasta is a splendid one to beholdviasta is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to viasta
same gender marriage, hmm :/, never had it in any games I played, but if you can do that, people should be able to do it on their free will, it's not like homosexual in against the game rule or something.

Thanks Loveless!
Old 12-07-2007, 06:04 AM   #4
Esen
Mini Jewel Keeper

In-Game Name: Kayem
Current Level: 5X
Server: Teva
Esen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud ofEsen has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Esen
I personally see nothing wrong with it, but I'm not surprise by their reactions. Some people are more... closed minded on the subject. Not much you can do about them. :/ Some people are bothered by it but are more respectful yet still honest about their views. And some people are bothered by it and will just not listen to reason. There seems to be more of the latter.

As for those people who comment about quitting, it's not going to bother any one else in the game so I don't see why get so upset over it. It's more fair if the make marriage open to anybody. I think a lot of MMO marriages are between friends anyway, haha. Or in the case of MapleStory, complete strangers? I don't know, I just recall people looking for partners with NX. *shakes head*

zZzZzZzZz
Dragon Cave
Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
I think thats messed up that they won't allow same gender marriages.
Maybe they just said "yet", so people wouldn't throw a fit about it never being implemented. I hate how everyone says "love is blind". Well.. if it is, why do people make such a big deal about same gender couples. You can't use morals and religion as an excuse, not everyone has the same morals or religion, and its only a game.
Those comments sound like they're talking about pedophiles going around raping little kids.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:20 AM   #6
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
Though I don't sway that way myself I see nothing wrong with it. But as everyone else above me has mentioned, the reactions are not surprising. There are so many are homophobes it's ridiculous. If nature went a different route those same people would be like "Opposite-sex marriage is disgusting!"

But because the society is unable to accept it, it's best for the game developers to go with what the mass majority wants or accepts as "normal". Perhaps they should call it something else as with the game Asda... be it Soul Mates instead. :P
Old 12-07-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
Zotius
Spade Guard Trumpy

Tournaments Won: 1

Zotius is on a distinguished road
I think people need to be more open about things... But still I haven't seen many MMOs with same-gender marriages. Esen raised up a good point though. Sometimes they are complete strangers.

Edit: Besides... If you wanna get married so much, just create an avatar the opposite gender of the one you want to marry.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
Hyper
Sucked back into the 'net

In-Game Name: An occupation
Current Level: 8 hours a day
Server: 4reL-lyfe
Hyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these parts
That's actually something I'll ask my Korean-question-answerer. It didn't even cross my mind until now. If you bug the GMs/CSRs now, you might see it in Fiesta.

The companies always have to be on the safe-side, though. There are many evangelical parents who monitor what their children do 24/7. Lawsuits = bad.

Ignorance is like the most annoying thing ever. -.-
What game was that?
Old 12-07-2007, 08:08 AM   #9
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
I don't think any parents would go as far as law suits for a little mmorpg, and if they did, they couldn't go very far. I think even a judge would think they're over-reacting.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
i cant believe in this day and age there are still so many ppl against same-esx marriage... though i know my parents are pretty closed mind on this subject... hopefully wat's seem to be "socially acceptable" will change in the next generation...

but i agree with Hyper's point of view... these companies would rather be safe than sorry... Not sure which Asian country you're referring to... but if its China, Companies > citizens, so I'm sure they're not worried (though i'm surprised that asians are more "opened minded" than Westeners)

Again... ppl talk about "morals" si that's like... saying same-sex couples are doing something "wrong"... well i really wanna hear wat's "wrong" with it... they give each other trust, love, support... all positive.. wat's "wrong"...? I really cant get into the mind of those people...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Closed Thread