Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #41
Pedobear
Marlone Megaton

In-Game Name: Thanatopsis
Current Level: 35
Pedobear will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vasu View Post
If they have no problems with accepting a being outside space, time and our comprehension, then why can't they accept that the universe is endless? (Mind you this is not a theory that I'm advocating, I'm just showing that it has as much evidence as a theory about god). I find it hard to believe that so many people across the world are willing to subvert their intelligence to a being that supposedly, "we cannot comprehend". If your friends like to bring up that everything has a beginning and an end, ask them how god "began" and when he will "end". God began in our minds, and I can only hope he will end soon.
Main Entry:
1faith
Pronunciation:
\ˈfāth\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural faiths \ˈfāths, sometimes ˈfāthz\
Etymology:
Middle English feith, from Anglo-French feid, fei, from Latin fides; akin to Latin fidere to trust — more at bide
Date:
13th century
1 a: allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty b (1): fidelity to one's promises (2): sincerity of intentions
2 a (1): belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2): belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1): firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2): complete trust
3: something that is believed especially with strong conviction ; especially : a system of religious beliefs <the Protestant faith>
Old 10-11-2008, 08:38 AM   #42
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
Your point? I'm not trying to be rude. I just didn't understand why you posted that.

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Old 10-11-2008, 08:46 AM   #43
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

In-Game Name: yummy
Current Level: skewl
lamchopz has disabled reputation
I take it that "the universe is endless" means our universe undergoes cycles of expansion and contraction, birth and rebirth (because the universe is still expanding according to our latest theory that has been supported by observations).

The common response you'll get for "Who created God?" will be something like "He's beyond our understanding, so we don't question where He came from because we will/can never know". It's faith as Pedobear cited.

I am an agnostic who believes there is a higher being but doesn't follow an established religion because of that ignorant and vague explanation of God's origin. You can say I'm sitting on the fence and that my approach will be "when you discuss science, don't bring up God". For me, science is about using what we know to explain phenomena, not invoking something/someone that we can only believe exists without further support apart from conjectures and speculations. I no longer have a strong belief against "God" but I don't cite "God" in explaining something.

In science, apart from mathematics-related areas, I was taught not to "prove" a hypothesis, but only to "support" or "refute" it. That the experimental designs give overwhelming support for something doesn't mean it can't be overturned later. That something as wonderful as quantum mechanics has in it many mysteries kind of amuses me when I study it. There are just things you should not ask, or bother to ask in quantum mechanics. It's sometimes nicked "shut up and calculate" physics (but don't take it literally).

You may be interested in The Flat Earth Society that advocates biblical descriptions of the world by turning the modern scientific tools onto themselves (Einstein will rise from his grave if he read what they did to his relativity). Marvellous minds in the wrong can of thoughts. Seemingly convincing but fallacious at its core. Read and don't fall into their trap. It looks real. You just have to know where it's wrong. Enjoy.

-------------------------------------------------
Old 10-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #44
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Server: Teva
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
That's the wonder of quantum mechanics. We know all of the answers until we are asked the questions.

(Just a joke, of course, sort of a Schrödinger's exam...)
Old 10-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #45
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg View Post
That's the wonder of quantum mechanics. We know all of the answers until we are asked the questions.

(Just a joke, of course, sort of a Schrödinger's exam...)
I just like all your jokes. Seriously. LOL

Last semester, we studied the wave model of particles. In calculating the phase speed, the maths told us that it was faster than the speed of light, which our current understanding says is impossible. However, the group speed, which is consequential to that phase speed, turned out to be correct, which is the observed speed of the particle in classical physics. Quantum mechanists usually don't question why we have such an odd phase speed because all of the experiments conceivable (in order to see if this is true) will be affected by Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and rendered useless. We have the correct group speed and everything works, to a remarkable level of precision. We're happy.

EDIT: No, not really (in case people didn't see my sarcasm). We aren't happy but there's not much else we can do. Because quantum mechanics works and gives us results, we still use it until another better comes along.

Last edited by lamchopz; 10-11-2008 at 09:28 AM..
Old 10-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #46
Vasu
Malingerer

Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
Originally Posted by lamchopz View Post
The common response you'll get for "Who created God?" will be something like "He's beyond our understanding, so we don't question where He came from because we will/can never know". It's faith as Pedobear cited.
Right now what believers suggest is since we cannot understand the universe i,e it is beyond our understanding, and because Science cannot (as of this moment) explain it, God created it. So, if the universe is beyond our understanding, why are you questioning it's existence? I can just as easily hypothesise the existence of a gigantic spaghetti monster that hides behind Jupiter in such a way that we cannot track it, and you cannot disprove me. But we know it's false, simply because it's so damn improbable.

Originally Posted by lamchopz View Post
You may be interested in The Flat Earth Society that advocates biblical descriptions of the world by turning the modern scientific tools onto themselves (Einstein will rise from his grave if he read what they did to his relativity). Marvellous minds in the wrong can of thoughts. Seemingly convincing but fallacious at its core. Read and don't fall into their trap. It looks real. You just have to know where it's wrong. Enjoy.
Don't worry, I have no danger of falling into that trap. Stupid really, I was like when I saw that website. Those people are still in their caves, scratching on their walls with blunt stones.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #47
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

I worship the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

/jk

P.S.: Please visit the site, it has some backgrounds on Intelligent Design and why it should not be taught in science classes. Loads of fun.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #48
Vasu
Malingerer

I've already been there . I didn't coin the flying spaghetti monster on my own.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #49
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

I know that, when you mention the FSM.

Just for those who haven't. LOL

Old 10-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #50
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Server: Teva
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
The FSM? Living on Jupiter? Heretic. He lives in heaven, with the beer volcanoes and stripper factory.

On topic: Would causing a black hole and sucking the Earth in really be a bad thing?