Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
zues8844
Hero Slime

zues8844 is on a distinguished road
Anti-Scam Guide

I realize there is another one here, but I feel that mine goes more in-depth.

"An object in possession seldom retains the same charm it had in pursuit"
This is a collection of tips gathered from my own knowledge of scammers, and how to avoid being tricked into losing money, items, or even your account. Scammers will try every possible angle into tricking you into giving them items. In this guide I will post different types of scams and ways to prevent them. If you can think of any I have missed, please post them here.

Enhancement Offers- Players will offer to enhance your weapon to higher levels, often demanding that they are paid beforehand, so they cannot get scammed. They will also demand an amount of Elrue, Lix, and Xir, as well as your weapon. There are a string of faithful enhancers, but most are scammers. I do not mean to demean the good enhancers of the servers. Give the would be enhancers a weaker weapon with only 3 and see if they return it. If they have made a thread about it in the forums, it is probably safe, especially if someone can vouch for them.

Items- Some players will approach you saying that they have a one of a kind item, and they are giving it away for only 50s, when actually it is found commonly in higher level maps and sells for 5s. Counter this scam by shouting out (/s) before buying. Password Scamming- Some people will ask for your password, because they have supposedly found a "hack" that lets you get free SparkCash items. In fact, they will even encourage you to stay logged in, and that the items will magically appear in your inventory. This is not true. If you are logged in, and someone else logs in on your account, you will be kicked, and the invader will have enough time to completely drain your account. NEVER GIVE YOUR ACCOUNT PASSWORD AWAY.

Staff Impersonation- There may be people running around with names such as Server_Maintenance or Server_Update, who will come up to you and exclaim that they noticed you are lagging, and need your password to help speed you up. This is a lie, since not even the GMs can do this. NEVER GIVE YOUR PASSWORD AWAY.

Advertising-Many people will advertise messenger handles or websites. Many of these (especially when repeated quickly) are attempts to get you to download or accept a file transfer of a program that will record anything you type and send it to another user, so your passwords, your character name, any websites you visit, your school reports etc. Occasionally the file you receive is not a key logger but a virus, which is a bit different, but still not fun for the recipient.

Item Duplicating- Players claim that if you give them 10s, they can double it to make 20s and give it right back. This is not the case. They simply take your money and teleport, run away, or log out. You never see your money again.

Quick Trade- When you offer up an item of some high value, some players have been known to quickly switch around the money values, such as they offer up 50g, then quickly switch in 50s instead, hoping that your eyes havent seen that transaction. ALWAYS CHECK THE PRICE BEFORE ACCEPTING.

Trust Tests- Some people are asked to be part of a "Guild", and are asked for some item to be given back within a small amount of time, to see if they trust the leader. Don't fall for this, because the chance of you getting the item back is minimal. Tag

Team Scam- One player sells scrolls for 20s each, while another buys a little ways before him for 40s. The gullible players goes and buys 5 scrolls for 100s, then goes and sells the scrolls back to the 40s player, who in fact made it so he buys for 40c instead. Be careful of these scams and always check the prices of the items you are buying/selling.

Alt+F4 Scam- People will tell you that if you drop and item then press Alt and F4 at the same time, your item will multiply. The truth is that the game will kick you, and they will pick your item up. Free Item Scam- A player pops open his mini vendor with the sign "Free Beast Leather (LQ)!!!!" and everyone rushes up and starts right clicking as fast as possible. They don't see that with each click, 50c goes down the drain. Beware of these scammers, and always check the price before buying.

Vitality Scroll Scam- People who have the scroll production ability always jump at the rare Vitality production scroll, which allows them to make the actual scroll. some people will sell the vitality level 2, which is actually a skill used by fighters. The price difference is about 70s, and instead of getting a rare scroll you may find yourself with a useless skill scroll.

Fake Glitches-Sometimes people will say they found a glitch to make your weapon +9 or something like that. They will then proceed to party you and show you where the so called glitch is. Be wary of this as they will switch the party allocation. They will then tell you to drop so and so item until it does what they supposedly say, but in all truth they are trying to get you to drop it until it disappears into their inventory.

Shop Scam-You see a shop saying selling for 100c for a scroll you badly want/need, but beware! Some shops misprice their items on purpose to fool you into buying them. Always check the price before buying anything to make sure what they say they are selling for is really true. Same goes with buying. Always check don't just assume.

Under-priced Buying - Sometimes people open purchase stores to buy items, and set their buying price for under what the NPCs pay (common examples are people who try to buy Tough Meat and such for 1c each in Rumen, or the ones who set 50c across the board for dim dusts in Elderine). To avoid falling for one of these cons, simply hover the mouse pointer over the item in your inventory; this will show item information, including the value if sold to an NPC.

Over-priced "Greens" - Some sale stores are opened by people who'd love to make as much as possible off of a green item with horrible stats. Pay attention to the stats on an item before you even consider spending your money on it. After all, do you really want to spend 20s on an item if the stats aren't going to do you any good? (i.e., str for a mage's staff). Just because it's "green" does not mean that it's worth a lot.
***New***
Outspark blocks password- Some scammers will tell you that if you shout out your password, the Outspark filter automatically filters it out. This is not the case. Your password will be visible to all the people who are paying attention to their chatboxes.

Making Items green/blue- some scammers will attempt to convince you that they can add bonus stats, (critical, END, DEX, etc.), but you must give them the weapon. There is NO WAY to make a weapon gain bonus stats. Green/blue drops are recieved rarely from monster drops and/or KQ's.

How to Spot a Scam
Is It Too Much Of A Good Deal?
Is someone giving you a deal that is just too good to be true?

Do You Know Enough About The Item Your Trading?
Don't be told an item is worth a lot. Do your research first.

What Level Is The Player You Are Trading With?
Don't be prejudice towards new players, but you need to think why such low level players might have items of worth.

Can You Trust The Player?
Is someone suddenly being your best friend? It may be a act of kindness, but is there a superior motive?
And a special new one from our GM's----

* Enhancement Scams: Players are no longer allowed to advertise enhancement services to other players at any time. If you choose to accept the advertised offer please understand you do so at your own risk; Broken, lost and/or stolen items will no longer be replaceable.
* Vendoring Scams: If you discover a vendor falsely advertising items (scrolls, weapons, etc.) they should be reported, with screenshots, to Fiesta_Help. Please understand a vendor has the right to set any price for any item he/she desires; it is the purchaser�s responsibility to ensure the sale is what they want prior to making the purchase. This particular scam comes into effect when a vendor advertises, for example, a VIT Production scroll for a certain price but in actuality is selling VIT skill scrolls for said price. All sales are final, so again, be aware of what you are buying before completing the purchase.
* Sparkcash for Gold scams: Any transaction which requires a player to share personal account information with another player is a direct violation of the Terms of Service. Account security and management falls solely upon the responsibility of the user. Remember, Outspark staff or representatives of Outspark (GL�s, CL�s, etc.) will NEVER ask you for your password. If someone does, report them, with screenshots, to Fiesta_Help immediately. If you choose to accept this offer and subsequently lose control of your account it will be permanently deleted and you may be subject to infractions including, but not limited to, the full termination of your account. Outspark will no longer be responsible for any restorations of accounts, characters or items which fall within these aforementioned issues.

Over and underpriced scams added thanks to nikwik Shop scam and fake glitch thanks to MissusDollyVitality Scroll Scam thanks to MissMeKissME

-------------------- This whole guide was made solely by me, from my own experience, and I have made it to benefit the whole Outspark community. If this guide was any help to you, feel free to rep me. If you don't know what rep is, check my other guide
Old 10-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Belaslav
Yank me.

In-Game Name: -quit-
Current Level: -quit-
Server: Teva
Belaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Belaslav
Seems pretty good, fairly straight-forward, but still it all comes down to the basics of never sharing your account info.

Free software for Virus, Malware, Adware and Spyware protection: Avast and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Those of you using Firefox I recommend NoScript and AdBlock Plus addons.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
zues8844
Hero Slime

And looking before you press accept, don't trust all "enhancers".......some have nothing to do with giving away account info.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
Blood Raven
Phino

In-Game Name: Dragon_Helper
Current Level: 5x
Server: Bijou
Blood Raven is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Blood Raven
you might want to add this to the list...

People will purpously add, [GM] into their name with a slight alteration such as a "_" or "." before the [GM] to seem like a GM... I was randomly appoarched by somebody like that who had something similar to the GM symbol and asked me to help them out with any scammers recently met. I said I blocked them and didn't remember. They then asked for my password to see who I had blocked. I thought that GM's weren't allowed to do so, so I said no. Then the person said that they would ban me for not cooperating. I then realized that in the name the GM symbol had been altered in a similar manner to one of the prefixes in the list I provided. It was bizzare but for somebody who doesn't hang out with GM's they might not notice such things.

Dragon_Helper (Cleric) Level: 5x
_Trevor_ (Fighter) Level: 3x
Drag0n_Slayer (Fighter) Level: 1x

I like Squishes. Let me HELP you.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
zues8844
Hero Slime

I'm pretty sure most people know that an admin will never ask for your confidential information.........but hey, it could happen >.>
Closed Thread