Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Old 04-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Destrus
Lizard Knight

Tournaments Won: 10

In-Game Name: Fyoran
Current Level: 3x
Server: teva
Destrus has a spectacular aura aboutDestrus has a spectacular aura about
idk wtf just happened

I don't know wtf just happened. Kinda in a state of shock right now. I was just in the beginning part of my morning forum browsing when my computer blue screened and restarted as if it overheated. it seemed just fine before then and last night and I didn't leave it on overnight. it seemed impossible that it could've overheated but when it was starting back up it showed 81 degrees then shut off again.

it's unplugged now. Gonna wait a while then start it up to see if the CPU fan stopped working it something. I just don't know what could've happened so suddenly. if anything has really stopped working and it wasn't just a one time bug I'm moderately fucked. I can't afford to replace anything right now and using my laptop leaves me so limited.

"Broken moves are also vampiric in nature"
Destrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
Dust? Secret system processes?
Ivramire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Destrus
Lizard Knight

There's actually less dust than when I cleaned it a month ago. Even if it was running ay 100% it shouldn't have overheated today. It's much too cool

Old 04-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
Destrus
Lizard Knight

I just don't get how it could happen so suddenly. It went from 100% fine to dying in one night while off

Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Destrus
Lizard Knight

i checked. The fan was working and no significant dust coating visible or even on my finger after I touched it.

I started in safe mode to try a scan but before I could even get that started before it cut off again.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Andromeda
Spider Pig

I'm betting your CPU fan has most likely seized up. This is very normal to happen if you tend to leave your computer on overnight often or your computer is pretty old or both.

The oil on the spindle of your CPU fan has probably run dry from excessive use. (This happened on my old desktop computers power supply fan eventually it seized up and sometimes when I booted the computer the fan would sometimes start spinning and sometimes it didnt it often made a low grinding noise which is an obvious sign the fan has reached its end) When this happens its better and easier to just replace the fan. They arent really that expensive to replace.

EDIT: If you can monitor the fan until it cuts off if the fan is still spinning quickly when it cuts off its probably a power supply issue.

If it was hidden processes causing it which is highly unlikely you would easily notice a massive performance drop in your computer. 81c celsius even on a 100% load cpu is really quite rare even if the ambient temperature is over 40c
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #7
Destrus
Lizard Knight

The thing is the fan is running. I felt it. Although I can't really tell if it's taking un air on the other side. I'll check again in a few minutes. Not even that is simple for me to replace because of what I had to get.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
Destrus
Lizard Knight

It's like this is punishment for me trying to not worry that something was gonna go wrong

Old 04-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Andromeda
Spider Pig

The symptoms you describe pinpoint overclocking as the culprit you dont overclock do you because a high temp CPU and a normal working CPU fan would highly indicate CPU overclocking gone wrong as the culprit.

There are only very few things can can cause your high CPU temp

They are a

1. A blockage in or on your intake or exaust fan
2. CPU overclocking gone wrong
3. Seized up CPU fan
4. 100% CPU load with an insane ambient temperature (Youd notice this if it were the case anyway)

Your problem has to be caused by one of those 4 since your CPU is overheating. But its up to you to find out which one of those 4 is the culprit.
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Destrus
Lizard Knight

I can't tell if the intake on that thing is taking in air. I feel air flow but that could just be from the fan in the front of my computer. There is definitely air being blown out from it though and it's cool air.

I do not over clock.

Could the power supply possibly cause that as well? My case is metal and when I touched it I didn't get shocked. When I went to check inside the computer though (while it was unplugged) I was shocked by the hard drives and heat sink. That's never happened before.