Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #21
Meteo
Mini Pinky

In-Game Name: Meteo
Current Level: dis hat maid of yellow kek~
Meteo will become famous soon enough
MMO Lingo

Originally Posted by Southern-Majesty View Post
With all that said, I am not familiar with a lot of this gaming terminology, so please do not think I am stupid for asking
Hi Majesty I think asking is exactly what makes you not stupid!!

Lingo and terminology varies a little from game to game, so you might hear things being said differently, let me see if i can add my two cents, maybe you've heard some of these other terms.

Grinding: I think it's been explained, but i've also seen people calling it partying. Like as in "Want to party?" In FFXI Online, no one said grind ._. dunno why.

You'll see a few other acronyms and terms that usually mean the same thing across all MMOs

LFP - looking for party

DoT - Damage over Time (like Poison)

DPS - Damage per Second. This is a more acurate way to determine weapon/spell strength.. well compared to max damage.

Aggro - you probably know this one...when u walk within a mob's agro range, it automatically goes for the kill with j00. As you level up, agro radius goes down, and eventually disappears.

Hate - VERY important in MMOS as you might now by now. If you're a fighter (tank) Your sole purpose is to maintain hate so others stay alive and function well. As a Mage, you want to cause top damage while keeping being #2 in the hate list. Taking hate from the tank in the party is n00bish and annoying, but yes it can be fun . Clerics build much hate by healing but should be #3 on the hate list, so if tank loses and mage dies. Cleric is safe to raise Mage while Tank recovers hate. Anyway.. for Hate, more than to know what it means, it's important to understand it ^^

Tanks (ppl who are built to take hits, primarily the fighters in fiesta

DDs - Damage Dealers (Mages and Archers, in most games you'll have more meleeing choices)

Clean Pull - Using a long range attack to draw out the desired mob out of a group of enemies. You might've seen this, as it's usually necessary at the end of the Mara KQ

You might hear people in more organized, more difficult events talking about difffernt kinds of pulls like a sac pull, or other things like that, if you ever come across things you don't understand by all means repost or ask me ingame ^^.

I think most of us appreciate real people like you and we will always be willing to help

Good luck and see you at OB!

Last edited by Meteo; 08-23-2007 at 01:56 PM..
Old 08-23-2007, 01:54 PM   #22
NavMan
Tomb Fox

Tournaments Won: 8

In-Game Name: Navv
Current Level: 1000000000000
NavMan will become famous soon enoughNavMan will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Blaaaaaaaah View Post
Edit: @Nav - WTH! She quoted you LOL!
I edited out my immaturity ._.

To the boy, his mother, and his grandmother....I still can't get over how awesome it is.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #23
Meteo
Mini Pinky

In-Game Name: Meteo
Current Level: dis hat maid of yellow kek~
Meteo will become famous soon enough
I know i think is too. I really hope my first child has the knack for games. Getting to share that experience is ...well pro
Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 PM   #24
Belaslav
Yank me.

In-Game Name: -quit-
Current Level: -quit-
Server: Teva
Belaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud ofBelaslav has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Belaslav
Originally Posted by Lady-Loki View Post
No apology needed - I don't think it's rude to ask.

It is true, and yes, it does mean that I am also a grandmother. My oldest grandchild is 12 and my youngest grandchild is 2 & 1/2.

If that is confusing it may be because I'm not the typical grandmother type person. You see, first, I am a young grandmother, and second, I just never really grew up. I started playing electronic games with Pong, from there to Atari and on and on. In fact, S_M and her brother had to fight me to get the PC (DOS OS only - pre 386 models) to play the first Zelda game.

Hope that doesn't cause anyone to reject me just cuz I carry real-life Granny title - my in-game preferred title was Mara Executioner! Woo Hoo!!
(OK - gotta go to work before I become unemployed Mara Executioner!)
Wow. Hard to believe, but wow! See ya in-game.

Free software for Virus, Malware, Adware and Spyware protection: Avast and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Those of you using Firefox I recommend NoScript and AdBlock Plus addons.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:36 AM   #25
Alastor1996
Mushroom

Alastor1996 is on a distinguished road
OMG would you be so kind and tell me what kind of topic is this, so confused.
Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 AM   #26
Lady-Loki
sane, so says the voices

Tower Defense 2007 Champion!Tournaments Won: 4

In-Game Name: Lady_Loki | Lady_Raine | Lady_Leilani | Lady_Danae | Lady_Julietta
Current Level: this changes more often than I care to update this detail
Server: Teva (main) Epith (secondary) other 2 (fallback)
Lady-Loki has disabled reputation
Thanks Guys!
Awww! You all said so many nice things! It makes me feel good to see ppl respond without some of the usual noob comments.

We seem to have been born with a strong competitive gaming gene in our DNA. We have been guilty of playing games till body parts ached. When we were at the end of Four Swords we had been playing non-stop for so long we had to tag-team the controls.

We have always played lots of games, but as S_M said earlier, this is only our second foray into MMORPGs, the first being Toontown. And if any of you tried Toontown you realize much of the lingo we have encountered in Fiesta wasn't applicable in Toontown, so we have to ask questions. And we really do appreciate everyone being so nice!

In Fiesta I started with Lady_Loki, my Cleric. I took her through High-Cleric (and then to a 22) and then let her rest while I checked the other classes. I got my Mage (Lady_Raine) to WizMage and rested her and moved on to a Warrior (Lady_Danae) who made Clever Fighter. My poor archer was only 18 and fought like a desperate demon the night they shut us down, but alas, she went to bed at only 18.

And, as for tomorrow (I too took 1/2 day off to be ready for Open) I will be back on Lady_Loki working her back to High Cleric as quick as I can (cuz I love love love that revive).

Thanks again and we'll see everyone in Roumen tomorrow afternoon!!

Please click my Dragon Eggs to help my babies along.

Join the FiestaFan Folding@Home team! Details, questions and comments HERE
And, just for the heck of it, you can visit my mini city to help my population grow:
<--youarehere
Old 08-24-2007, 04:05 AM   #27
Kamilah
Bored Imp

Kamilah is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Meteo View Post

Hate - VERY important in MMOS as you might now by now. If you're a fighter (tank) Your sole purpose is to maintain hate so others stay alive and function well. As a Mage, you want to cause top damage while keeping being #2 in the hate list. Taking hate from the tank in the party is n00bish and annoying, but yes it can be fun . Clerics build much hate by healing but should be #3 on the hate list, so if tank loses and mage dies. Cleric is safe to raise Mage while Tank recovers hate. Anyway.. for Hate, more than to know what it means, it's important to understand it ^^
You defined how Hate is used, but I don't think you really defined what Hate is. I have never heard the term Hate used before so I was curious about finding out. Although, after reading it, I was baffled. o.O

Anyone to help?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #28
Lady-Loki
sane, so says the voices

Tower Defense 2007 Champion!Tournaments Won: 4

In-Game Name: Lady_Loki | Lady_Raine | Lady_Leilani | Lady_Danae | Lady_Julietta
Current Level: this changes more often than I care to update this detail
Server: Teva (main) Epith (secondary) other 2 (fallback)
Lady-Loki has disabled reputation
Aggro/Hate?
I kinda thought Hate sounded like what I had understood for Aggro - the Tank holds the mobs aggro and the support team doesn't need to pull the aggro off the tank or we might lose a cleric or mage in the process.

Maybe?

Please click my Dragon Eggs to help my babies along.

Join the FiestaFan Folding@Home team! Details, questions and comments HERE
And, just for the heck of it, you can visit my mini city to help my population grow:
<--youarehere
Old 08-24-2007, 04:19 AM   #29
Kamilah
Bored Imp

Kamilah is on a distinguished road
That makes sense.

I guess Hate would be better to understand if I had more experience with parties on Fiesta. Thanks for the help though Lady_Loki. BTW I love the name.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:32 AM   #30
fullback
Papa Bear

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: fullback
Current Level: 6x
fullback is a name known to allfullback is a name known to allfullback is a name known to allfullback is a name known to allfullback is a name known to allfullback is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to fullback
Snearing Kick raises hate/taunts the enemy.
Closed Thread