Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
Tera

I have to make a new thread cause I do.

I was able to play it over the weekend and I have to say it was simply awesome. They have the whole action MMO thing down.

The combat system is really what makes this game stand out. You are not just pressing tab and 123. You actually need to time your attacks and block/evade when you see the enemy going in for an attack.

For me it had what I loved in Tales of Symphonia and Dragon Nest when it came to combat.

Watching gameplay trailers really does not do the game justice cause it'll just seem like any other MMO with pretty graphics. And yes, the game graphics and environment is really awesome. If you are unsure of the game you really need to look for a weekend beta key (pre-order beta key allows you to keep characters in-between phases).

The only real downside at the moment is that you level quite fast. So fast that you do not really get grind enough to make money. I found you were dependent on lucky drops and quest gear for equipment (though they're not that bad). But a lot of the things in shops tend to seem really expensive because of this.

Certain classes also "need" updated equipment. I played the Lancer during the beta and they need the latest weapons so that they can block incoming damage...

Also, the crafting system, due to the above reason of not being able to make much money off grinding, is almost useless and extremely costly to level up. And probably by the time you're making money a level 1 craft is really pointless.

Anyhoo, if you're sitting on the fence... I really recommend grabbing a beta key. Or sign up so you can get into Open Beta. :>
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
Well leveling fast isn't so bad, they just need to provide you with plenty to do in the end-game, such as raids, dungeons, pvp, etc etc. I'd be more interested if it were pay once to play, or f2p, but I've heard its going to be p2p.

I only got to play a little bit. Quests seemed generic, with a few triggered cinematics, but you never know. If they're going to be p2p, they need to kick it up a bit besides the combat system. GW2 is going into CB at the end of this month, which insinuates GW2 may be coming out around the same time as Tera, and may steal its thunder.
Yosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Loveless
Super Moderator

I think one of the things they said will be a bigger part of later levels is BAM. I have no idea what it stands for aside from the last letter being monster... lol.

And some sort of political system. Have to see how that really plays out.

First impressions, I am all for the game. For me combat system alone is already a huge plus cause I like being able to react to a mob attacking... not just getting hit stupidly.

Now, like you said, I'll have to read up on more of the end game stuff. I know Korean TERA has been going on for awhile so gonna do some research on it. And also look at how much it'll be for a monthly sub. Though IMO... even if end-game is subpar... it's probably better than most MMOs out there right now. And even in a decent f2p that you quite like, you'll be dishing out nearly the same amount.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Loveless
Super Moderator

*bumps*

If anyone is playing OB, Derr and I are on Frost Reach (PVE). Join us. =) Especially if you're a healer...
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
Yosei
Corgi Addict

Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
I'd play but GW2 beta begins next week x.x too many games, so little time.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Server: Teva
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Are you playing the trial version for or something loveless? Or did you have to buy the game?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
Loveless
Super Moderator

I've already pre-ordered cause I liked it in CB.

I think you can just play OB without pre-ordering... that or you find an OB key?? and if you do decide to continue and buy the game you carry over the character to release.

EDIT: So, you basically just need to create account and enter TERABETA as the code and you can start playing. If/when you pre-order you can carry over that character to release. If not... I think after awhile it does get deleted?

Last edited by Loveless; 04-21-2012 at 01:55 AM..
Old 04-23-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
Yosei
Corgi Addict

Or click here if it disappears.

Reminds me of when I watched Jesse Cox (OMFGCATA on youtube) playing beta. He had to go to a certain npc and their backside was facing him and as he was running up to them, he was all like "Hey babay!" and they turned around and it was a dude xD
Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Loveless
Super Moderator

Lol. Elves.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Loveless
Super Moderator

Thought I'd do a follow up review on the game.

I'm currently a level 42 Elin Lancer. Some are already hitting the current cap of 60 which is... interesting to say the least. As much as I do like the game I don't think I can play more than 3-4 hours a day. Most because the "action combat" bit is a bit more tiring than just tab, 1, and switch screens for a few min.

Anyway, the thing about not having enough money? That was only a concern in the beginning. I haven't actually sold anything in the AH (most of my half decent gear is thrown in the guild bank) and I haven't actually bought anything other than potions but managed to save nearly 300g on quests and coins dropped by mobs.

In TERA the money dropped by mobs is actually worth picking up. It ranges from 5 silvers to 60 silvers in regular areas. Last night I was in the open world dungeon which dropped around 1-2g a mob.

You also get all the latest gear from quests so you really don't have to buy gear until maybe end-game where you wouldn't be out leveling your current gear in a matter of days. Whatever rare equipment you get from instances is a bonus.

The enhancement system is not bad either. The gear will not degrade or break. The chance to go from +5 to 6 seems a pain but it's not so bad when there isn't a risk of breakage. Most of the time you wouldn't bother with enhancements anyway cause you get better gear through questing...

I still don't see the point in crafting though. Then again I never did like crafting in any game. But the gathering part is good. You get stackable buffs from picking up plants and ores. At level 300 you apparently get hats so that's an incentive to pick things up along the way. (And 300 is easily attainable)

For the actual game play. I found it to be the most challenging and fun to tank in TERA. Even with the best AI the mobs will become predictable for sure... they'll have certain movements to say what they'll do but they don't just go for you. They'll bulldoze right at you or hop around and potentially squishing a healer or DPS. You have to time stuns and leashes (kind of a pull skill that interrupts skills) as well as be aware of surroundings.

I'm glad I'm not just a stagnant tank that just sits there. Positioning is important so that I can block the damage. If I'm slightly off it'll hit me in the backside and I'll take full damage. Keeps everyone on your toes.

Only downside is that I cannot chat when tanking, lol.

TBC...