Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #11
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of

There's some talk from a few people I know that this is a major breakthrough for a cure. They seem to get the impression that all you need is a marrow transplant from a person with the HIV-resistant genes and you're scot-free.

Optimistic and all, but they seem to forget that the chances of finding someone with compatible bone morrow (tiny) and that the person has the resistance is microscopic at best for most people >__<

Undoubtedly lead to new insights and paths, but some people are getting the wrong idea.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Server: Teva
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by lvramire View Post
There's some talk from a few people I know that this is a major breakthrough for a cure. They seem to get the impression that all you need is a marrow transplant from a person with the HIV-resistant genes and you're scot-free.

Optimistic and all, but they seem to forget that the chances of finding someone with compatible bone morrow (tiny) and that the person has the resistance is microscopic at best for most people >__<

Undoubtedly lead to new insights and paths, but some people are getting the wrong idea.
True, though it's good to see some sort of a significant improvement for the cure after all these years. It never hurts to give a little hope to those who do suffer HIV. Besides, it doesn't necessarily have to be bone marrow. At the moment, it has to be. But this knowledge could lead them a new/alternate way of therapy based on the same principle. I am nos scientist so I wouldn't have a clue what could possible be the alternate method, but it's definitely a good to know there's a new path now.

I'd say it's good to be optimistic about this, just gotta keep in the back of the mind about the current chances and things. Perhaps it's better to say be optimistic, but not too hopeful. Too much hope may lead to too much disappointment, anyway.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM   #13
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

In-Game Name: yummy
Current Level: skewl
lamchopz has disabled reputation
If that does not work for everyone, perhaps the discovery of a protein blocking T-cells' virus killing capacity will shed some hope?

Definitely something that raises more hope, just like the recently discovered "annealing" helicase that rewinds the defective DNA strands which promises remedies for symptoms associated with faults in DNA replication.

-------------------------------------------------
Old 11-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
bloodrops
Weakened Ogre

In-Game Name: Vividia
Current Level: 56/37/53/
Server: Teva <3
bloodrops is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lamchopz View Post
If that does not work for everyone, perhaps the discovery of a protein blocking T-cells' virus killing capacity will shed some hope?

Definitely something that raises more hope, just like the recently discovered "annealing" helicase that rewinds the defective DNA strands which promises remedies for symptoms associated with faults in DNA replication.
Discoveries will keep on coming. But the question always is...are there any down side of the 'hope' - solution? Will it be only temporary? The protein that blocks T-cells activities sounds promising...But anyhow...

Some of the hopes we have may only be a temporary solution, but hey, that's better than nothing. At least it will give the scientists some more time to find the 'real' cure.
Comatose
I'll never wake up without an overdose of You
I don't wanna live, I dont wanna breathe
'Les I feel you next to me
You take the pain I feel
Waking up to You never felt so real
I don't wanna sleep, I don't wanna dream
'Cause my dreams don't comfort me
The way You make me feel
Waking up to You never felt so real

Old 11-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #15
zakpat84
Little Hob

In-Game Name: " "
Current Level: around 40+-
zakpat84 is on a distinguished road
Aids is terrible n in my country some lost souls go round poking ppl wid infected needles in public places n even unda movie seats! im terribly scared 2 go out but it seemed to have died down.........a bit
Old 11-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #16
ZeroZone
Phinofly

In-Game Name: ZeroZone
Current Level: 89
ZeroZone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ZeroZone
Originally Posted by zakpat84 View Post
Aids is terrible n in my country some lost souls go round poking ppl wid infected needles in public places n even unda movie seats! im terribly scared 2 go out but it seemed to have died down.........a bit
Horrible.... Pokein people with infected needles >>
Old 12-15-2008, 02:16 AM   #17
Mindspank
Flying Staff

In-Game Name: Mindspank
Current Level: 103 Sharpshooter
Server: Bijou
Mindspank will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Mindspank
**DISCLAIMER**
For the record, this post does not reflect my ACTUAL beliefs in the fight for AIDS and Cancer. Those who have lost loved ones to either of these afflictions my heart goes out to you as I have felt the impact of BOTH diseases in my family. I am merely trying to add another, more broad but less positive perspective to the topic for the sake of conversation ONLY. Those who wish to ignore this disclaimer can PM me their flames where they will promptly be ignored and deleted. I want to present another perspective but lets keep the conversation non hostile. If you want to call me an idiot, dont do it here please. Thank you.
**END DISCLAIMER**

Im going to play Devils Advocate on this one, not to be an asshole, but for the sake of argument, and because no one else has done so.

Honestly what do you think would happen if AIDS was cured, tomorrow? I can tell you what would happen, the world would go down the toilet in a hundred years. 33 million people infected, 2 million deaths each year. The only thing keeping us from needing to build high rise condos in the amazon IS AIDS. There would be a population boom the likes of which has never been recorded. Think about it. All these people scared to have sex would be throwing caution to the wind because sex is no longer deadly. I mean worst case scenario now is a lifetime of meds and a suppressed disease. I mean natural selection is not one thing to be tampered with, and we already mess with it bad enough by pulling this whole monogamy, I have a coherent thought process and im better than animals so I no longer have to fight for my mate crap. AIDS seems to be a chemical response to mans intelligent way around natural selection.

Come on people. Do you really think some scientist either 1.) Cut himself while handling infected chimp meat or 2.) Had sex with a chimp?

We created Seren gas, Mustard Gas, VX Poison Gas, Ebola, All sorts of cultured nerve agents and chemical goodness. Is it that much of a stretch to say that AIDS was created, and released, to control the population explosion?

In my heart, I feel that while a cure for AIDS would be spectacular, it would have more negative impact than it would positive.

Besides, all these agencies that use that "Help save lives by donating to fight AIDS/Cancer/enter Ailment of your Choice here" would be out BILLIONS of dollars. Billions and Billions. You think they are gonna risk their retirement pensions to save 33 million lives?

HELL TO THE NO.

They earned that money by wrangling in poor saps to donate cash to find the cure for a disease WE ARE AT FAULT FOR RELEASING.

Which is why, in my opinion, AIDS and Cancer will NEVER have cures. Not in our lifetimes anyways.

Fiesta - Mindspank - Bijou - 103 Sharpshooter
Aion - Mindspank - Israphel - 65 Ranger
Old 12-15-2008, 02:49 AM   #18
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
Well.. I'd compare it to cancer. Cancer effects many more people, kills just as much, but at the same time, people make it. A lot of people say they've found cures for a lot of major diseases as such, but to balance out the world and keep doctors in business, they do not release the cures.

So if they found a cure for AIDS, yeah, I doubt they'd release it anyways. And if they did, its not like its as easy as going to the doctors and getting a needle in your arm. Most of the people in the world who do have AIDS, probably wouldn't be able to afford it.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:53 AM   #19
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
You would've been flamed up and down if it wasn't for the disclaimer.

Unfortunately, sex isn't the only way someone could get AIDS.

There's a case in China where people sell their blood for money, but because they didn't disinfect (?) the equipments properly, practically the adults of an entire town is now infected by AIDS.

Parents of kids are dying, and orphanage is booming.

Also, people with AIDS have lot of medical problems, continously, for the rest of their lives. They probably get help from the agencies that you mentioned anyway. So, people are still spending money for these people anyway.

And, I don't think AIDS was released "on purpose". Though I don't really know how AIDS originated.

(And it seems really harsh to speak of AIDS like a computer virus, where people write virus to kill off computers so they can sell their anti-virus program... to release a disease to kill off human is... cold-blooded.)

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 12-15-2008, 02:53 AM   #20
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
You gotta keep in mind that even if there is a cure, it's not like everyone will have access to it straight away. Like lvra said, if this particular method works, it will be hard to find a compatible bone marrow.

Also - the costs. AIDS are particularly abundant in third world countries that don't even have access to proper medication and treatments compared to the other countries. To think that the cure of AIDS solely will create a big problem for the population world wide is unrealistic, imo.

However I do agree with the fact that science these days are always attempting to find ways to make us live longer. Though they just want to make us more healthy, at this rate, one day we won't need to die [/exaggeration].

My point is that I don't think the cure for AIDS will have an impact as a big as you make it sound like. Sure it may have some impact but it won't kill the whole Amazon.

Besides, the curing of AIDS does not mean a finished battle against the diseases. There will be a continuing battle between us and diseases and I don't believe there will be an end do it. AIDS might stop killing people but who's to say that other diseases with similar consequences won't arise in the future?

I'm not denying that diseases are "used" to help "control" the population some what, but I really doubt the cure of AIDS will have that much of a significant impact.

Also, AIDS is currently a disease that are infecting more and more individuals, and not less. I think a cure is needed to control the disease some what before it becomes too much a problem. Controlling the population is one thing, but destroying the whole lot is another.