Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
eBooks

Has anyone bought / used an eBook or reader? Given the right opportunity I can go through quite a few and because I like to get the latest additions to series right off the shelf I'll be hauling a hardcover at times.

So in that sense investing in an eReader and buying eBooks seems to be the best option. But wanted to hear if anyone here has used them before. Only thing I hear is that while newer books may be relatively cheaper than the paper equivalent but not so much if you want ones several years older.
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
I've downloaded a Kindle App on my iPhone and had briefly browse through Amazon..

but yeah books are not too much cheaper than paperback versions... maybe only like $2-3 off.. though if u're comparing it to hardbacks, you'll be saving yourself a bit more.. do eBook version always come out at the same time as Hardbacks??

Friend's got a Kindle, they said the battery last them several months between charges.. the screen doesn't light up like an iPad though.. (so you can't read it in the dark) you should have a play with one if u get a chance.. the one my friend's got, when you turn the page, the screen flickers black before turning white again for the next page.. so not the smoothest transition..

and you can't easily lend your book to someone else to read if u've bought an ebook..

One good thing about ebooks are you can actually download previews.. can get probably about a chapter of the book for free..

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Hessah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Server: Teva
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
I always hit Goodwill and other thrift shops for books. I don't have any experience with an e-reader, sorry.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
Loveless
Super Moderator

Ah, I see. I was just looking at Amazon and the prices were the same... maybe save 50 cents or something. Lol. I was also looking at a trilogy and the prices differed greatly between the three... which was weird.

I've tried playing with it at the book store and noticed that black flicker thing. Also, I thought the thing was just one of those plastic displays...

Guess I'll hold off on them until they figure out the ebook pricing. The biggest set back is how the pricing is so... all over the place. If not for that I'd probably get it. I also read that Kindle 3 has free 3G... wherever you are.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
Well, if you like to read new additions to a series right off from when it's released, I wouldn't recommend an eBook Reader. The series I'm reading, for instance publishes its eBooks 3months after the release of the paperback and hardback copies. You also save next to nothing in prices when you're comparing the paperback and the online version. Also, some publishers simply don't seem to like Amazon and don't have a kindle version of their book published at all. All in all I suggest you wait till there's a bit more stability in the area.

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Vasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Loveless
Super Moderator

8 months? Wow... I'll just keep saving for my desktop.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah or if there's like kindle app for your phone, you could test it out on that first.. keke even though the screen is fairly small...

The idea is to have a book without having to carry one right? keke

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 01-14-2011, 02:36 AM   #8
YOJO
Gang Imp

Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: ....
Current Level: Changes to much xD
Server: Bijou
YOJO is on a distinguished road
I have the kindle and its amazingly simple to use and read. the ebook prices on amazon range from either 30-100% off of the original price
Old 01-14-2011, 04:12 AM   #9
Loveless
Super Moderator

I've been reading a bit about the Kindle and if I was to get one that would be the one it seems.

The drawback aside from the pricing is that because I live in Canada and it seems that the selection is reduced. Of course, I'll check to see if my favourites that I follow will be available for Canadians too. It's not like I'll read 500,000+ books any time soon.

And, the price... again, it seems I cannot buy the Kindle from Amazon.ca and have to buy it through their US store. Which of course adds exchange rate as well as shipping and HST (our dumb, recently raised tax). Still gonna play with the idea.

@Hessah: Yeah, I could get the app... it would've been okay if I had an iPhone or one of those Android phones with the bigger screen. I have a BlackBerry and... it's so tiny. xD
Old 01-14-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

TBH even the iPhone screen is too small.. probably better if u get an iPad xD

You gotta check the free 3G thing in canada too.. my friend talked about having to proxy it or something so they can have access to US books.. or something like that.. I didn't pay much attention but there was some juristiction issue..

If u want more info I can ask them again... let me know..

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...