Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #11
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Server: Teva
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Miriamele View Post
iterated prisoner's dilemma.
Game theory casually mentioned on FF? Wow.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #12
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
More likely here than on the Officials.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:35 AM   #13
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

In-Game Name: yummy
Current Level: skewl
lamchopz has disabled reputation
I'd say make it fair and square if you haven't know them for a long time. =]

With strangers, you can never tell. First impressions can be deceptive. If you decide to keep being nice, just make sure you know how much longer you can keep up without going bankrupt. lol

-------------------------------------------------
Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 AM   #14
xDario
Angry Wolf

In-Game Name: Shade
Current Level: 87 (10% tnl, retierd)
Server: Bijou EU.
xDario is on a distinguished road
Too nice? No
Mean? Yes
the main thing one has to do is to only trust your friends. if someone want enhancing, you keep the item untill your payed.
i only give my stuff away to friends, and lend it to guildmates. Thers always a risk in whatever you do, so i have limited to how far i go....
Old 12-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #15
Silent Wizard
Sand Mushroom

In-Game Name: Doylen, Slient_Wizard, Blue_Violet
Current Level: 110/110/110
Server: TEVA
Silent Wizard will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Hessah View Post
I've always believed that there's a fine line between "being nice" and "being used"...

I suppose the difference is how appreciative the receiver is.

If that guy who u enhanced a bow for turned around and said "OMG You're a life saver!! I'll pay you back someday, I just don't have enough money, but THANK YOU" it'll make u feel a bit better...

but he sounds like he's there to scam so I doubt he even said a Thank You?

There's nothing wrong with being "too nice", you just have to find the right people to be nice to!
Worth repeating, My game motto has been:

"Being nice to everyone you meet."

There are givers, there are takers, and there are sharers.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #16
Enraya
WONDERARCHER

Server: Teva
Enraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to beholdEnraya is a splendid one to behold
The community, obviously, really doesn't give a "flying f**k" about ANYONE other than those that can support them (higher leveled/popular players, friends, guildies, irl buddies). And it makes sense if you think about it. Why would you care about someone that you don't even know?

Then where do all the nice people come from? The nice people are the ones that know how to be friendly, but not to overstep the boundaries of being too "friendly." For example, there's players that give away freebies, and there's players that help others with quests. If I had been shown kindness by the both types of players, I would remember the quest helper more than the freebie giver. Being nice doesn't mean you have to give away all your stuff - it just means that you have to spend a little time caring about others. When you say you give away "free sh*t for the community," it might seem like that to you, but the community probably wouldn't care less. The only people who would notice are those you gave away items to and those you didn't (who are probably left with a sour mood). If you gave away help, those that received help would notice you and those who didn't receive help would mark you down as a friendly player and look for chances to interact. It's cool to give away free items to those that need it, and I myself would be overjoyed if that happened to me, but the truth is that the community as a whole probably won't remember the fact that you gave weapons to a few people.

As for the problem you described, I don't think you're being too nice, you're being way too gullible as you said. It wouldn't have been nice to demand the money from that player, but it wouldn't be exactly beneficial to hand over a +9 weapon and expect the player to give money voluntarily ...
I'm not saying that you should not trust anyone, I guess it's just common sense to first find out more about a person before doing so much for them. But I suppose I don't need to tell you this as you already learnt a a very harsh lesson =T I also hope you meet better people, as I don't think this is 100% your fault. Honest players should know better than this.

It's ironic I'm writing a few paragraphs on a topic I probably haven't experienced irl, but it doesn't hurt to try to understand I guess.
You certainly got the rough end ...

>edit
Just reread my paragraph.
I need to pay more attention in English class e__e

{ enraya ! }
Old 12-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #17
Mindspank
Flying Staff

In-Game Name: Mindspank
Current Level: 103 Sharpshooter
Server: Bijou
Mindspank will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Mindspank
Believe it or not, I understand completely where everyone is coming from as far as this is concerned, despite reciving some harsh criticisim about the subject. LMS is right. Giving away something more useful like help as opposed to offloading my junk will more benefit other players. It was sort of rude of me to assume that giving away stuff and making the environment hostile by competition was helpful.

As I am observing right now with this christmas pvp event, competition is anything BUT helpful. So I would say that im more being an idiot than helpful.

Fiesta - Mindspank - Bijou - 103 Sharpshooter
Aion - Mindspank - Israphel - 65 Ranger
Old 12-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #18
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Silent Wizard View Post
Worth repeating, My game motto has been:

"Being nice to everyone you meet."

There are givers, there are takers, and there are sharers.
That's very nice, some people really need to be hit on the head with that motto.

I am, generally "nice" to everyone I meet, but it doesn't mean I go giving out free stuff. And as soon as they turn ugly on me, there's no more "nice" from me.

But then I'm an accountant, it's my nature to weight the ins and outs (balance, accounting is all about balance LOL)

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 12-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #19
Silent Wizard
Sand Mushroom

In-Game Name: Doylen, Slient_Wizard, Blue_Violet
Current Level: 110/110/110
Server: TEVA
Silent Wizard will become famous soon enough
"I am, generally "nice" to everyone I meet, but it doesn't mean I go giving out free stuff. And as soon as they turn ugly on me, there's no more "nice" from me."

That is pretty much where I am at too. As to the free stuff, mainly quest mats or transport scrolls that plp shout to buy, Karma is my guide. Sometimes I ingore, sometimes I sell, and sometimes I give. With Christmas upon us, I have been doing more giving.

I used to give coin to beggers whenever asked, I don't do that at all anymore.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #20
Senyx The Soulless one
Ice Vivi

In-Game Name: CrimsonChaos
Current Level: 67
Server: AP-PO-LEEN
Senyx The Soulless one is an unknown quantity at this point
That's why the higher levels keep to themselves, they don't want to get screwed over, watch your back and no one else's. If everyone did that, no one would have to look out for each other.