Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Old 02-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #101
Pritcher
Senior Torturer

Pritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Pritcher Send a message via MSN to Pritcher Send a message via Yahoo to Pritcher

I know no one really cares, but since I'm around and doing stuff here tonight I thought I may as well update here too.

I've recently started reading Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. I've been watching the show, "Black Sails", very good btw, and I thought I'd try out the source material. No opinion so far really; it's fine I guess. I like the show more...

-------
I'm taking an indefinite break from Fiesta.

Join the FiestaFan Folding@Home team! Details, questions and comments HERE
Pritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #102
Pritcher
Senior Torturer

Pritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to beholdPritcher is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Pritcher Send a message via MSN to Pritcher Send a message via Yahoo to Pritcher
Dropped, "Treasure Island", didn't finish it'; lost interest... Started reading, "The Man in the the High Castle", by Philip K Dick.

The show on Amazon, (very good show btw), kicked me off there. It's sort of odd that I never really got into his, (Philip K. Dick's), stuff. I've always been well aware of him and his works and I'm kind of all about that old school sci-fi stuff... Hell my name, Pritcher, is taken from Asimov's Foundation series...

-------

Old 02-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #103
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
I watched the first 6 or 7 episodes of Man in the High Castle and haven't finished it yet.

I thought the premise was really good and cool, but then the acting (esp by the male and female leads) were really bad and turned me off.

Ralath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:50 AM   #104
Pritcher
Senior Torturer

Aww, I didn't they were that bad. No one is on the fast track to the golden globes or anything, but they weren't bad enough to take me out of the premise. And the premise hooked me hard.

-------

Old 02-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #105
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
I've started reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. I have always been a fan of multi-threaded fantasy series with intricate plots. A Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time, Stormlight Archive - love all these types. Only a couple of chapters in, but I can already tell this is one of the harder ones in terms of keeping track of all the lore, characters and places.

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Vasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:36 PM   #106
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Pritcher View Post
Aww, I didn't they were that bad. No one is on the fast track to the golden globes or anything, but they weren't bad enough to take me out of the premise. And the premise hooked me hard.
It wasn't terrible. Maybe it was the more of the writing than the acting. The parts that annoyed me the most were when the two leads made all these stupid decisions that drove me crazy.

Like I understand the girl is naive and not really a spy, but really, you think it's a good idea to trust any random you meet on the road???

Old 02-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #107
Pritcher
Senior Torturer

First and foremost; huzzah that there's at least a pulse here. Read on!

Second; I don't know Steven Erikson at all, sorry. I'm not at all adverse to high fantasy, (though I do tend to gravitate more towards science fiction), but anything that is ten volumes plus is very intimidating for me. Time is at a premium and that is a massive time investment. However, I'll try to remember the name and series and put it on the back burner.

Third; sorry I'm not certain where that falls in the story Ral, but... she didn't really trust him, the nazi double agent dude at least, and fully disclose her supposed mission or anything. At least as far as I remember. She kept the film secured and delivered it to her contact. Unless you meant her contact as being the one she trusted and shouldn't have, but if that's the case, she had every reason after all that to believe he was legit.... And he actually was.

-------

Old 02-20-2016, 03:31 AM   #108
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Oh, was he? I haven't finished it so last bit I knew about the guy was that he was still working for the Nazi leader in New York

Old 02-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #109
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Vasu View Post
I've started reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. I have always been a fan of multi-threaded fantasy series with intricate plots. A Song of Ice and Fire, Wheel of Time, Stormlight Archive - love all these types. Only a couple of chapters in, but I can already tell this is one of the harder ones in terms of keeping track of all the lore, characters and places.

Oh man, I have a terrible track record of finishing the fantasy series I start reading. Good luck finishing the Malazan Book of the Fallen; I've restarted reading the series from the beginning at least 3 times in my life and managed to get to the 8th book on my last attempt but my interest deserted me about halfway through it.

Got Sanderson's series next on my list, came highly recommended. Did you finish them yourself?
Ivramire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #110
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
Originally Posted by Ivramire View Post
Oh man, I have a terrible track record of finishing the fantasy series I start reading. Good luck finishing the Malazan Book of the Fallen; I've restarted reading the series from the beginning at least 3 times in my life and managed to get to the 8th book on my last attempt but my interest deserted me about halfway through it.

Got Sanderson's series next on my list, came highly recommended. Did you finish them yourself?
For Sanderson, he's only got 2 books of the Stormlight Archive out so far. He plans on 5, and then another 5? Not sure I understand exactly why he doesn't say 10, there may be a time gap or something like that I guess. I've read both of those and can confirm that they're really good. If you're more accustomed to the gritty style of writing like George RR Martin then you might find his writing kind of juvenile? Not sure if that's the right word, but it's definitely more family friendly and vanilla.

That said, the world itself is very well constructed and believable and the characters are a lot of fun. It's definitely shaping up to be one of the classics.

The only other Sanderson book I've read would be Warbreaker which is a stand alone. However from what I understand, nearly all his books occur in the same universe he calls the Cosmere.

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Vasu is offline   Reply With Quote