Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #1
Sheya
Site Supporter

In-Game Name: Sheya
Current Level: 79
Server: Teva
Sheya is on a distinguished road
Sheya's Guide to Tanking

I made this guide on the outspark forums...I figured I should share on here as well.
Well...I been really hesitant on making this but hell I'm bored so might as well.

I been noticing a lot lately that many of the newer generation of players as well as some of the older generation DO NOT KNOW how to tank.

Now I'm not saying I'm perfect or the best or anything like that. But I figured I should give a few tricks to what it is I do.

Also Ill be throwing a few things into the mix that allows me, a full endurance fighter, hold aggro better then a full strength fighter.

For each particular class there are critical methods for holding aggro. Now I'm not saying these methods are always needed nor are the perfect, but I am saying they help.

(By Request of Mazu) The Main skills required for tanking/holding aggro:
-Snearing Kick (Obtainable at Level 9)- A Single-target taunting skill
-Mock (Obtainable at level 20)- A Multi-target taunting skill that is limited to 6 monsters
-Devastate (Obtainable at Level 43)- A Multi-target stun that also causes damage. Is Limited to 10 monsters at one time.
-Whirlwind (Obtainable at 60)- A pure-damage Area of Effect skill
*Note* This skill is not essential but it helps in the aspect of aoe.

*Skill Empowerments that help with tanking*:
-Snearing Kick- Max cooldown (Allows quicker usage)
-Mock- Max cooldown (Allows quicker usage of the main taunt skill)
-Devastate- Max cooldown, duration, and damage (Allows quicker usage, longer stun time, and adds a little extra damage to add to the damage factor of holding aggro.)

(By Request of Mazu) The weapons required for tanking/holding aggro:
-1-Handed Sword/Shield Combo- This set-up allows for a tankers highest defense, fastest attack speed, highest aim, and only chance of blocks happening. The downfall is that it has the lowest damage.
-2-handed Sword- This weapon is used for those that don't care for their defense of the shield and don't like the slowness of the axe. This weapon also has higher aim then the axe but lower then 1h/Shield.
-2-handed Axe- This weapon is the DD's favorite. But it also can be used for tanking. It has the highest damage of the three weapons. The downfall is that it is the slowest, it has lower aim, and you lose the defense of the shield.
*Note* There is a Technique that utilizes the 1h/shield and 2-handed weapons to keep the fighter in a defensive posture when attacked and in an offensive posture when being attacked. This Technique is mentioned in Advanced Techniques later in the thread.

Now "Holding Aggro" has three critical factors:
-Hate (Taunt)
-Damage
-Time (This doesn't just mean lasting...this also means the timing of skills. But if you die to fast you wont be using skills)

Now both categories of fighters can do all three of these. But they excel more in 2 of 3.
-A Strength fighter Excels in Hate (Taunt) and Damage.
-A Endurance fighter Excels in Hate (taunt) and Time
Now both are able to enhance the third factor.
-A Strength fighter can equip Endurance stated gear to allow them to live longer as well as enhanced (+ed) gear. This will help them with the Time factor of holding aggro.
-An Endurance Fighter can equip Strength stated gear also empower the duration/cooldown of the skill called Vitality which is available at level 20. This will increase you damage which will help with the Damage factor of holding aggro.

Now we will get on with the tactics for tanking.

To start with...here are a few strategies for all-around tanking:
-Scroll back your view screen so that you have your party always in view.
-*Sub Note* If you can't get your whole party, make sure you at least have your cleric in view.
-When pulling, if you are off mount mock while on pull for pre-aggro in sure enough distance so that the cooldown is about 3/4th up when you reach your destination.
- When at destination, Mock then position yourself farthest from the rest of your party. This way the mobs are turned all to you and you can easy spot one turning when aggro is shifted.
-Use Snearing Kick often..you may think this wastes stones...it doesn't.
-Never stay on the same target longer then a second...this allows you to not just focus your own damage on just one target.
-Vitality is a very useful skill for tanking. Especially for End fighters. This makes up for your lack of Damage.

1.) Lower then Level 43- The Basics Now if you are a fighter that is lower then level 43... Your main tactic for holding aggro is Snearing Kick at level 9 and Mock at level 20.

Mainly at these levels your best tactic for aoe tanking is to mock when able and never stay on the same target while kicking when able. *Also note the other tactics above*

2.) Level 43-59- Introduction to Devastate and Nature's Mist Now at Level 43 the fighter gains the move known to most as Devastate. This is an Area of Effect (AoE) Stun. Similar to your Concussive Charge you gained back at level 11 for single-target stun. This skill will help for now on to holding aggro in all the methods from here on out.

Now with a new skill, Comes new methods. I shall call this one the...
Basic Deva/Mock Technique- This Method only requires the fighter to mock and devastate when needed.
-To improve on this technique you can mock while pulling, then devastate when in position to have mock already to use again when the stun effect is over.
-Also This will be covered more in the next session but you can space out devastate and mock so the cooldowns are halved, meaning when one is done the other is available and so forth.

Now this are also the levels where Archers start to become a pain. At level 51 they gain Nature's Mist (AoE Poison). If ignored...the archer will gain aggro all the time. This is where you, the fighter, should never stay on the same target ESPECIALLY if your a full end fighter. You should switch targets hitting and kicking each one as you switch. Spreading your single target aggro among the group of monsters.

Level 60+ Hello Nova,Inferno, Recover, Invigorate, and Piercing Shot

Lol now this is where the methods change. Cause at these levels if you don't work you can EASILY lose aggro. Cause you will be introduced by new AoE's from all classes: Nova and Inferno for the mage, Recover (AoE Heal) and Invigorate (AoE Heal over Time) for the cleric, and Piercing Shot for the archer. Now I hear people complain over and over again that at this level and up that they cannot hold aggro at all. Well the following methods I have used...and so have many other fighters and they work. You just need practice.

Now each method listed doesn't have to be used by itself. As a matter of fact I encourage you to mix the methods to better your chances.

Now I will list the Methods then describe them in detail. There are different techniques for Dungeon and Non-Dungeon Monsters.
*Following Techniques are for Non-Dungeon Monsters*
-Deva/Mock Technique for only 1 60-66 mage
-Deva/Mock Technique for only 1 67+ mage
-Deva/Mock Technique for 2 or more 60-66 mage
-Deva/Mock Technique for 2 or more 67+ mage
-Target/Kick Technique for 60+ Archer/Clerics

*Following Techniques are for Dungeon Monsters*
-Deva/Mock Technique for Mages in Dungeon
-Target/Kick Technique for 60+ Archer/Clerics

Non-Dungeon 60+ Techniques:

-Deva/Mock Technique for only 1 60-66 mage- Now this technique requires you to time your Mock and Devastate or you'll lose aggro. Now at 60 the mage will have Nova. Typically this is the very first skill most mages use. So in order to keep aggro. You mock the mobs when you reach your destination. Let the mage Nova...wait for the second set of numbers to appear and then Devastate. By the time Devastate is done the monsters are either dead or Mock is ready for another go around.

-Deva/Mock Technique for only 1 67+ mage- At this level a mage gains Inferno to its arsenal.Now pretty much the same thing BUT your timing will be different. Instead of Devastating after the second set of numbers, your gonna devastate right after Nova lands or when Inferno is started. Because of the extra damage of Inferno the monsters will die within that time.

-Deva/Mock Technique for 2 or more 60-66 mages- Now your probably thinking that well with 2 or more mages, there is no need to time your skills. WRONG!! One mistake and both your mages can end up dead or at least one of them. This technique is the same the single 60-66 mage technique. You wait till after the second set of numbers appear and then devastate.

-Deva/Mock Technique for 2 or more 67 mages- Now this is probably the easiest techniques of them all. Just mock and devastate about 2-3 seconds after. Because 2 Novas and 2 Infernos will kill any Non-Dungeon mob within that mages level zone in a few seconds. If not space your Devastate out more. Mind you these techniques are not anywhere near perfect.

-Target/Kick Technique for Archers/Clerics- Now I mentioned this technique awhile back in the guide. But I'm gonna talk about it more in detail here. Now for me personally, mages are not my problem. My aggro stealers are archers and clerics. Because their attacks/heals are spread over long period of time which is more hazardous in the dungeons which Ill get into more later. Now this technique only requires two things. Never staying on one target and using Snearing Kick. Now I use spam hit the "tab" key to allow myself to not stay on the same target, but you can also click a mob ; Which I recommend doing when you lose a single mob. Now as far as the kicking goes. As long as you have not lost a mob just spam your kick when its available. Yes you have mock for AoE BUT it only focuses on 6 targets...but not only that...as you can see when you get in the 70's and up when mages, clerics, and archers get upgrades to their aoes, you still have the same old Mock you had back in 50's. So kicking helps.

Sheya - Warrior Princess Lvl 8x Proud Member of TheMilky
Eleien - Lady Archer Lvl 4x Member of Peanut_Butter
Windycaster - Sexy mage Lvl6x Member of TheMilky
Ledian - Celestial Cleric Lvl 4x GM of Reign of Chaos
Teva Server
Sheya - Warrior Princess Lvl 3x
Epith Server

Last edited by Sheya; 10-07-2008 at 09:16 AM..
Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Sheya
Site Supporter

Dungeon Monster 60+ Techniques

-Deva/Mock Technique for Mages in Dungeon- Now I was gonna separate these into different categories like I did above. But, The problem with the dungeon is the monsters Health are incredibly larger then normal monsters.
So Really your task here is to take what I said above and make it so your mock is available right after Devastate. While at the same time not leaving a gap open where your not increasing your hold on the monsters.

EDIT* Decided to break it up anyways.
-Technique for a single 60-66 mage- Now above I set you up so that Mock is set up after the devastate stun effect. So if you continue this strategy you should be fine.

-Technique for 2 or more 60-66 mages- Its the same as a single mage at this level. The technique is set up so that Mock is available after Deva's stun.

-Technique for a single 67+ mage- This is where it changes. Instead of devastating right after Nova (Or whichever AoE is used first). Your gonna devastate right after Inferno (Or Nova if used second). This allows Mock to be available right before Deva's stun effect is over so you wont lose aggro right after the stun is gone.

-Technique for 2 or more 67+ mages- Again this technique is different. Cause if you Mock then Deva immediately the aggro will be lost to someone other then you. So instead of Mock and then immediate Deva Wait for the Nova or Inferno from both mages whichever is first to land...then when they set up to do their second aoe....devastate the monsters. This allows them to do their heavy damage but at the same time allows Mock to cooldown just in case the mobs are not dead by the time Devastate stun effect is over.

-Target/Kick Technique for Archers/Cleric in Dungeons- I hate to tell ya. But its the same thing as normal mobs. But your gonna have harder time because the monsters last longer which givens the DoTs (Damage over Time) and HoTs (Heal over Time) a chance to take aggro from you slowly. Mainly at this point you just hope to shout they die fast. Cause not even myself has perfected a technique to keep dungeon monsters away from archers over 90% of the time. Mind you this technique is effective but if the fight drags on to long. You will lose aggro eventually.

*Advanced Techniques*

-1h/Shield and Axe Combo- Well this isn't really advanced but I don't see many people using it. This technique is for maximum damage output while still being safe. Now during your pulling stage you use a 1h/shield. As well as while mocking. When you go to devastate you quickly pull out you axe, devastate, and start skill spamming. If you got the timing down, you can easily pull your 1h/shield back out before the stun effect is over.

Now mind you...like i said above these are by far NOT PERFECT. But these are the tactics I use and I figured I should share. Now...if the other fighters wish to add to what I said. By all means share your techniques. Ill even add them to the list with the person's name who gave the technique. Now this is by far my longest post. And its late so I may be editing it later. If you see an error feel free to point it out.

All Comments are welcome but please no flaming.
Thanks, Sheya

Teva Server
Epith Server
Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
Sheya
Site Supporter

-reserved-

Teva Server
Epith Server
Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 AM   #4
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
Snearing Kick is level 9 At lvl 7 you get Fatal Slash. Otherwise, a great guide. Lotsa details.

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Sheya
Site Supporter

Originally Posted by Vasu View Post
Snearing Kick is level 9 At lvl 7 you get Fatal Slash. Otherwise, a great guide. Lotsa details.
Lol thanks...did all my info from memory...Still needs more though ^^. Ill fix that error right now.

Teva Server
Epith Server
Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
Kaidela
Bored Fox

In-Game Name: Aleese | Victoire | Kaidela | Rilynn
Current Level: 87 | 70 | 60 | 35
Kaidela has a spectacular aura aboutKaidela has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kaidela Send a message via MSN to Kaidela
Very useful guide, especially since I've been playing a fighter for the first time. ^^ Thanks~
Closed Thread