Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

In-Game Name: yummy
Current Level: skewl
lamchopz has disabled reputation
Procrastination: ep. 1: Intelligent Designer is not so intelligent

Google is lots of fun. In my search for an image of a typical bony structure, I came across the blog of Myers, a biologist. Once he was involved with Ed Conrad, who along with other Intelligent Design activists, tried to "destroy Darwinism" through false scientific claims (you can read more in Myers's blog). Co-mentioned was Jonathan Wells, author of the "Icons of Evolution: Science or Myth" book, which was criticised by the very sources it quoted as misleading and taking things out of context.

It thus prompts me to produce this post because, well, I'm procrastinating anyway. xD

There are many arguments for and against an Intelligent Designer. I will use the human body to make the points against the existence of an Intelligent Creator:

Firstly, I must acknowledge that the human body is one of the most beautiful machines (perhaps the best).

Secondly, as beautiful as it is, some of the features the human body bears are just plain dumb.

- The eye: Location of optic nerve results in blind spot, arrangement of ganglia results in the need to remove mitochondria -> have to metabolise via lactic acid pathway (according to my Biochem lecturer,this is the dumbest design).

- The head: deep to your facial skin where the nose and cheeks are, there are two interconnected empty reservoirs (one on each side of the face) called maxilliary sinuses. Their drainage point, contrary to the other paranasal sinuses, is at the top (counter-gravity) meaning drainage is usually impaired.

- The belly: appendix. Is there, does nothing, when infected, puts you in the hospital. I rest my case.

- The hip: there's this muscle called ischiococcygeus (simply coccygeus) that is still there in the human body and does nothing because it is only important for animals with tails. The muscle is responsible for tail wagging.

- All over the body: muscles with limited to no functions, present in some people, absent in others (e.g. palmaris longus, psoas minor, etc.). Yes they serve little purpose so if they're absent, there is absolutely no impact on the individual's normal locomotion.

Thus, it only makes sense to argue that this can only result from evolution which may result in dumb features such as those, and many more.

But I must get back to work.

Have fun.

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited by lamchopz; 06-09-2009 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: changed a verbial phrase that didn't quite make sense xD
lamchopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

Found another source to keep the masses informed:

http://www.talkdesign.org/cs/td_faq

Basically, the site is dedicated to exposing the fallacies that the Intelligent Design Movement is feeding to the public and other non-scientific targets.

OK, I must stop procrastinating. ~.~

Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

Dinosaurs were on Noah's Ark LMAO
http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2009...chool-fie.html

I can't believe what I read. xD

Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #4
a.L
A to the R to the K

a.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud of
Get to work, LOL.
a.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Server: Teva
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
If there is an Intelligent Desginer, he must be a civil engineer. That's the only person I can think of that would put an entertainment complex in the middle of a toxic waste dump.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
^I don't even know what face to give that.

Maybe a: xD or a o_O or a ._.|||

Ralath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

Originally Posted by Ralath View Post
^I don't even know what face to give that.

Maybe a: xD or a o_O or a ._.|||
I'm in the exact dilemma but it made me LOL.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #8
lamchopz
Goblin Swordman

ok back to work. x.x