Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Jikanu
Lizardman

In-Game Name: Jikanu
Current Level: 46
Server: Teva
Jikanu will become famous soon enoughJikanu will become famous soon enough
Spirit Vs. Strength...

The widely accepted build for archers is 25spr, the rest str... but i've been wondering, why not reverse that? or maybe even go pure spirit with str equips? here's my theory:

if you have a high crit rate, with a bit of str backing you up, isn't it better than a low crit rate with a bit more damage per shot? i mean, if you get crits say... every 2 hits, for 400 damage, isn't it better than a crit every 4-5 hits for 800 damage? plus, you could factor in the extra magic defense and mp you'd get from spirit, plus the fact that you can just get str from equips while spr from equips doesnt add crit... spirit starts looking a bit more prosperous. to me, at least. =/
Old 03-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
I was lead to believe that the STR in freestat is "stronger" than STR in gear..

Something about the STR in free stat ignores the defence of the mob / person..

The reason why you don't hear people suggest 25 STR/ rest SPR, is because STR doesnt "cap" the way SPR does.. SPR's crit % drops after the first 25 points.. but STR, continues to add 1 dmg.. so if you want 25STR/rest SPR, you may as well just go full SPR... (IMO)

But I agree that I think more crit the better... SPR seems to work really well with archers, because their bow/xbow has a good crit rate to start off with...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 03-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Jikanu
Lizardman

Originally Posted by Hessah View Post
I was lead to believe that the STR in freestat is "stronger" than STR in gear..

Something about the STR in free stat ignores the defence of the mob / person..

The reason why you don't hear people suggest 25 STR/ rest SPR, is because STR doesnt "cap" the way SPR does.. SPR's crit % drops after the first 25 points.. but STR, continues to add 1 dmg.. so if you want 25STR/rest SPR, you may as well just go full SPR... (IMO)

But I agree that I think more crit the better... SPR seems to work really well with archers, because their bow/xbow has a good crit rate to start off with...
our crit rate isnt any better than anyone else's acctually, though i think maybe we should have a slightly faster attack and a slightly larger crit, it doesnt happen that way ._.

but the strength in free stat WOULD give a bit of backbone to the crits
Old 03-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
if you play a mage, you'll know the crit rate of a mage SUCKS

2-4% compare to 7-8% makes a huge difference..

Crit of cleric's not too bad i think, fighters are so-so...

but yeah, mage probably has a slower attack rate, I find that SPR in mage is pretty useless, works better in INT...

whether STR gives a backbone to crits.. that's.. a age long debate..

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
Jikanu
Lizardman

if you play a mage, you'll know the crit rate of a mage SUCKS

2-4% compare to 7-8% makes a huge difference..

Crit of cleric's not too bad i think, fighters are so-so...

but yeah, mage probably has a slower attack rate, I find that SPR in mage is pretty useless, works better in INT...

whether STR gives a backbone to crits.. that's.. a age long debate..
no, the crit rate depends only on weapon type (i.e. crossbow vs. bow, hammer vs. mace) and whether or not you have a green... check the smiths, we all have the same rate. im pretty sure, at least... unless i missed an update.

Last edited by Jikanu; 03-02-2009 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: clarification
Old 03-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #6
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Green Mage Weapon has always had only 2-5% crit..

Green archer weapons have generally 6-8%

It has always been like that, no updates changed the crit rates of weapons...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 03-02-2009, 01:43 AM   #7
Ivramire
Where shall we wander?

Ivramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud ofIvramire has much to be proud of
It's because everyone says that STR from equips doesn't bypass defense unlike STR from free-stat. So it's pretty much nerfed/nullified.

Crit. rate has always depended on weapon type, and Archer's have always had the highest 'natural crit %. It's not like Mages can equip Crossbows xD
Old 03-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
Jikanu
Lizardman

Green Mage Weapon has always had only 2-5% crit..

Green archer weapons have generally 6-8%

It has always been like that, no updates changed the crit rates of weapons...
ah, that's because of the type of green. back when i hung out on the outspark forums, they had a thread about how the greens names acctually effect the effects... wind raises aim, thunder and some other stuff raises crit rate, and so on... mages have different green titles though, like sad moon, so they have different effects.

Originally Posted by lvramire View Post
It's because everyone says that STR from equips doesn't bypass defense unlike STR from free-stat. So it's pretty much nerfed/nullified.

Crit. rate has always depended on weapon type, and Archer's have always had the highest 'natural crit %. It's not like Mages can equip Crossbows xD
hm... i dont think our weapons have any more crit naturally... i could be wrong, but i think wands have the same % as xbows... o.o

i'll have to check... maybe you guys are right and im simply confuzled...

EDIT: bwah, you're right... crap, sorry, that was a screw up for me... but fighters have our crit, and clerics are rather close... only 1% away.

and that DOES show that we're seemingly made for crits... therefore, why not back it up with spirit?

Last edited by Jikanu; 03-03-2009 at 01:06 AM..
Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 AM   #9
Triumph
Wiki Head Admin

Deal or No Deal Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

In-Game Name: FFXIV
Current Level: 80
Server: Coeurl
Triumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud ofTriumph has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jikanu View Post
The widely accepted build for archers is 25spr, the rest str... but i've been wondering, why not reverse that? or maybe even go pure spirit with str equips? here's my theory:

if you have a high crit rate, with a bit of str backing you up, isn't it better than a low crit rate with a bit more damage per shot? i mean, if you get crits say... every 2 hits, for 400 damage, isn't it better than a crit every 4-5 hits for 800 damage? plus, you could factor in the extra magic defense and mp you'd get from spirit, plus the fact that you can just get str from equips while spr from equips doesnt add crit... spirit starts looking a bit more prosperous. to me, at least. =/
I seek to challenge that statement, actually.

Numerous tests have indicated that in most circumstances, a pure build will defeat a hybrid build. It seems to be that KFiesta/JPFiesta both prefer pure STR and INT builds. This argument I won't touch on; it has been argued extensively, and it is your choice exclusively. I know for a fact CB testers preferred a pure build; all the Legends of Isya were pure builds as well. I'm sure that things have changed in the past year since my departure.

As you may know, the critical rate is a statistic added onto each shot, meaning that if you have a 25% critical rate, it is a 25% chance of landing a critical. This does not mean that you will get a critical hit once every four hits; this just means that a probability of 0.25 exists of hitting a critical hit.

Whereas the damage output does not deviate much, you will notice a damage over time difference. However, it is really insignificant, as one extra shot from the hybrid build will equal the pure build in terms of damage.

Secondly, as Hessah has stated, the critical bonus levels off. It reduces to 0.1% after 25, and after 62, I believe it levels off to 0.05%.

Thirdly, freestat points are points added onto your damage output. For example, assume your damage output is X, calculated by your weapon, enhancement, armor attributes, etc. You then add Y, which is your freestat points in terms of damage. 25 damage may not seem like very much, and it may seem contradictory to common sense, but it does more damage.

Thus, as follows:

Pure build: X+Y = damage
Hybrid build: X+(Y-25) = damage

Last edited by Triumph; 03-03-2009 at 01:45 AM.. Reason: Additional information.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #10
Jikanu
Lizardman

Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
I seek to challenge that statement, actually.

Numerous tests have indicated that in most circumstances, a pure build will defeat a hybrid build. It seems to be that KFiesta/JPFiesta both prefer pure STR and INT builds. This argument I won't touch on; it has been argued extensively, and it is your choice exclusively. I know for a fact CB testers preferred a pure build; all the Legends of Isya were pure builds as well. I'm sure that things have changed in the past year since my departure.

As you may know, the critical rate is a statistic added onto each shot, meaning that if you have a 25% critical rate, it is a 25% chance of landing a critical. This does not mean that you will get a critical hit once every four hits; this just means that a probability of 0.25 exists of hitting a critical hit.

Whereas the damage output does not deviate much, you will notice a damage over time difference. However, it is really insignificant, as one extra shot from the hybrid build will equal the pure build in terms of damage.

Secondly, as Hessah has stated, the critical bonus levels off. It reduces to 0.1% after 25, and after 62, I believe it levels off to 0.05%.

Thirdly, freestat points are points added onto your damage output. For example, assume your damage output is X, calculated by your weapon, enhancement, armor attributes, etc. You then add Y, which is your freestat points in terms of damage. 25 damage may not seem like very much, and it may seem contradictory to common sense, but it does more damage.

Thus, as follows:

Pure build: X+Y = damage
Hybrid build: X+(Y-25) = damage
but the question is, what's more valuable: damage per regular hit, or more crits?
Closed Thread