Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:19 AM   #11
FabledWaltz
Phinofly

In-Game Name: Dyaevim
Current Level: 72
Server: Apoline
FabledWaltz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to FabledWaltz

I won't argue any more. I should not need to point out the fact that not everything I says needs to be changed. I find things wrong with the class and I list them. Nothing less, nothing more. And honestly, stop comparing Mages with Archers. Archers should not even exist and the only reason they do is for "variety". After all, what fun would a game be where you can only pick between three classes?

Obviously I wouldn't mind because I always pick a Mage but for other players, it would be an issue. Regardless, I do not care about what Archers can not do in comparison to Mages. What I am complaining about is what Mages are incapable of doing and that is, the one thing they're supposed to do. Which is dealing damage. There are four things that need to be improved upon before Mages are even worth their salt. Damage, stones, range and usefulness of certain spells. Other than that, I'm not too concerned.

Except maybe the cool down on spells like Mind Drain, the basic spells, etc.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:23 AM   #12
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
Originally Posted by FabledWaltz View Post
That sarcasm is both idiotic and unnecessary. I did not complain about them not being perfect but more
about being so shafted they're next to impossible to play.
Please. "Impossible to play"? If they are "impossible to play," then no one would play them. If there is a clear, better alternative, why would someone choose to play the Mage?

On a side note, this actually happened to Archers for a while. People started choosing Mages over Archers because Mages became superior (or at least more valuable in people's mind) than the Archer. So yes, it does happen, if that's what you're wondering.

Quote:
Who said about about reducing the cool down of Mind Drain to 10 seconds? As far as I know, it is at about two minutes, maybe three (maintenance going on so I can't check). It is only useful for PvP BECAUSE I can not use it often. It would be nice to be able to use it outside of PvP as well as inside.
Why would you use it outside of PVP? On monsters, because they don't use SP at all? That's useful.

Quote:
I can rarely find a party for anything I want to do. And more often than not, the party is already full. Yes, of course they do but the cool down on Inferno is twice as long as the cool down on Frost Nova even with an empowerment and you have to sit there and cast it. Meaning, it is close to being useless unless you're capable of tanking mobs easily. Of course, the only way to do this is to buy a lot of cash shop items. Something I am incapable of doing.
You not being able to find a party=/=useless class.

Quote:
Why would I play an Archer? The only class I enjoy playing is the Mage. Not to mention, it is the only class I am good at. I mean, I'm fairly decent at being a Cleric but that just isn't my thing. Um... Clerics are not supposed to. Their job is to heal and support the group. And they don't have anything to complain about except their lack of damage but if you allowed them to deal more damage they would be just as overpowered as Fighters are now. And who cares about the other classes? I don't because I don't play them. I only care about improving the class that I do play.
I'm not saying that you should go play an Archer (though they are fun once they get Nature's Mist). I'm saying there are FLAWS and LIMITATIONS with every class, not just the Mage.

Quote:
No class is perfect and that is fine by me. But the Mage is the most underpowered class in just about every game I have ever played.
Opinion.

And why would I play another game? The only game I enjoy playing is Fiesta. Not to mention, it is the only game I am good at. I mean, I'm fairly decent at ESO but that just isn't my thing. And who cares about the other games? I don't because I don't play them.

Clerics are not supposed to be ranged nor are Fighters. But this doesn't mean we should get shafted just because another class doesn't have range.
You do have range.

The range of yours spells are just the same as the range of an Archer. If anything, the Archer should have LONGER range.

Quote:
[CENTER]Fine, I'll correct you. You're wrong. I have not gotten far enough in each class to point out the pros and cons in every class but again, I play a Mage and nothing else.
That's what she means.

Archers should not even exist and the only reason they do is for "variety". After all, what fun would a game be where you can only pick between three classes?
lolwut

Last edited by Ralath; 04-01-2009 at 06:27 AM..
Old 04-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #13
Sero
Jizz King

In-Game Name: SerodinSliver | GoldenMirrodin | DarkMirrodin |
Current Level: 90 | 55 | 74
Server: Teva
Sero has a spectacular aura aboutSero has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Sero Send a message via Yahoo to Sero
Usefulness of Spells (or lack thereof)
Ice Bolt or Ice Blast. They're both on a "global cool down" which means when you use one, you basically use the other. Minus the damage, slowing effect, etc. And the slowing effect itself is quite useless since you have to get pretty close to a monster anyways to kill it. Not to mention the effect is not always a guarantee.
Then don't use it. There's Nova Frost which deals damage 3 (or 4?) times, and also slows mobs down. Not to mention, along with Inferno, IT NEVER MISSES. AND, it has the same CDT with Ice Bolt/Blast.

Originally Posted by Ralath View Post
I really don't understand this argument. Why do you need to use Mind Drain so often anyway if it's only useful for PVP? The reason why it has a longer cooltime is so that it doesn't unbalance PVP... >.> I can't even imagine how I'm supposed to PvP at all if a Mage is Mind Draining me every 10 seconds.....
Now THAT would be WRONG.

Casting Animations
Also, why in the bloody hell does Dispel make me look like some damn fairy? I'm a Mage for Pete's sake! Not a prancing fairy who goes around sprinkling fairy dust on people. Same for Purge. I'm not an Angel of light so why do I get wings when doing this? Makes no sense at all. I liked the old animation of Life Tap where as this new crotch thrust just embarrasses me.
I agree with this. The new animations of most skills [in all classes] are simply f*cked up and crappy. I mean, yeah sure we can cast em while running, but at least bring back the old animations for em? Rather than make us look TERRIBLE and GAY. And I know many others have been complaining since late last year [where they did the animation f*cking up] but eh.

Some of you may or may not agree with me on this (Mages, I mean). I feel that the range of our spells is far too short. I'm not saying we should be able to pick off monsters from halfway across the world (that would be nice though) but a reasonable distance away from them is required. Otherwise we're nothing more than a short ranged Fighter minus the power and defensive capabilities. This would go perfect with Ice Blast (or Ice Bolt) always having a chance of slowing our enemies down. This way, we can attack from a safe distance without the fear of being viciously mauled by something ten times our size.
You have skills that have ranges of 13.5m, the others' ranges are 12m. Well same goes for archers. Even us archers don't complain about our range, even if we are supposedly RANGERS. Imagine Mages casting skills with more range than Archers? Definitely WRONG.

I can rarely find a party for anything I want to do. And more often than not, the party is already full.
It gets worse for us archers. Mages are wanted, way more.

Kiting
Why is it, that only two of our spells allow us to kite? Everyone else can pretty much cast a spell or use a skill while running where as we get Lightning Blast and Lightning Bolt and then we're forced to stand there and get slapped around like a rag doll. Admittedly, kiting is not very effective for anyone but Archers because they can AoE while they run so taking down multiple mobs is fairly for them. I say this because if you kite, there is a GOOD chance you're going to run into a lot more monsters. As a Mage, that means you're boned. Don't just make two of our spells a "cast-on-the-run", make them all that way.
Why would I play an Archer? The only class I enjoy playing is the Mage.
Just put it this way. Archers are more of a kiting class than Mages. I don't think Mages are even build for kiting, at all. If the only class you enjoy playing is the Mage, then deal with not being an Archer, who kites.

Again, realize that this is the "Mage rant" not the "Cleric rant" or "Fighter rant" or "Archer rant".
Yes, surely everyone can tell by the title. But, your ranting about Mages would bring other classes in the rant as well, through comparison mostly. Understand that.

EDIT:

wadda late post D;

take me above your light
carry me through the night
Originally Posted by vasu619 View Post
Ugh...Serodin is on a roll...

Note to self: Nevar EVAR get Serodin talking about umm, sticks with sacks.
Originally Posted by Vivi View Post
Another note for handling Sero: do not get him started about moms.
Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
I agree with Blaaaahs. Serodin cracks me up.

Oh and for the record, I am weird.
Originally Posted by hyperswoss View Post
Serodin is my hot, hot, sex~ ^.~
hold me secure in flight
sing me to sleep tonight
Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 AM   #14
FabledWaltz
Phinofly

This is what I hate. No one will ever defend a Mage but instead point out all of it's supposed "pros" while comparing it to other classes that can't do the exact same things. Well no shit! If they did the same thing as me, again, what purpose would we serve? None, as I have stated before.

As I stated before, our range does not need to be incredibly long but long enough so that I don't have to sit there and get smacked around like a rag doll until the monster finally decides to drop. And why should I or any other Mage suffer just because it is a "party" game?

Every MMORPG is a "party" oriented game hence the "Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game". But again, most games will not screw people over like this to the point where soloing is (nearly) impossible. If I can't find a party, should I just never play? I mean, that makes no sense at all.

@Ralath: Um... probably because I don't enjoy getting hit and most of the time I can cast at least one spell before the monster is back to me, smacking me around? (This is directed at the Mind Drain comment.)

Edit: Seriously, the whole "Mages are wanted more than Archers" comment is just bullshit. There will be times when one class is preferred more than the other but most people are kind enough to accept either/or. If your server keeps picking Mages over Archers than I suggest switching to a new one.

Last edited by FabledWaltz; 04-01-2009 at 06:32 AM..
Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 AM   #15
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold

@Ralath: Um... probably because I don't enjoy getting hit and most of the time I can cast at least one spell before the monster is back to me, smacking me around? (This is directed at the Mind Drain comment.)
But Mind Drain doesn't DO ANYTHING against mobs. Doesn't do damage so I don't know why you would waste SP on casting a spell that does NOTHING. People have even tested using Mind Drain on Mini Dragon to see if he jumps less or breathes fire less and it doesn't.

Also, believe it or not, you're not the first person to advocate for the Mage. We've heard all these arguments before.

But never from a person who's played all the classes to know the limits of each one. :>

Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #16
FabledWaltz
Phinofly

Reread what I said. If it stops the enemy from attacking me for even a moment, it shows SOME potential of being useful. It doesn't work on enemies like Mini Dragon and such but why would you even need to use it on a boss? You're not tanking so it's utterly useless against anything but normal monsters and other players. Which of course, without the duration increase, makes it a less useful anyways.

Edit: If I am not the only person to advocate Mages and say these things then apparently Outspark isn't doing their job right and that we're all in agreement that Mages need some serious improvement.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #17
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Server: Teva
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by Ralath View Post
But Mind Drain doesn't DO ANYTHING against mobs. Doesn't do damage so I don't know why you would waste SP on casting a spell that does NOTHING. People have even tested using Mind Drain on Mini Dragon to see if he jumps less or breathes fire less and it doesn't.
Hold on, I think you're confusing mind drain with mana burn. Mind drain = fear. I know that fear doesn't work on bosses. Unless they were trying to fear MD... (but if you did confuse it with manaburn, manaburn does do damage xD).
Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #18
a.L
A to the R to the K

a.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud of
Actually, I'm rather happy with my mage.

It's really a personal thing.

Oh, and mind drain works on the mini bosses, like Mara, Marlone, Ghost slime and Robo in KKP.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #19
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Mah bad.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:43 AM   #20
FabledWaltz
Phinofly

You know, I think I forgot about Mana Burn as well. I guess it really IS that useless. But yes, it does some damage. However, the damage is too low for it to be considered useful for anything other than sapping away SP in PvP but the cool down just makes it absolutely useless.
Closed Thread