Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
MikeyG
Touch all the butts

Tournaments Won: 10

In-Game Name: lnfamous
Current Level: 6x
Server: Teva
MikeyG has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeyG
Netflix

Is there a way for a Canadian to acess the American Netflix?
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Sparkeh
Nothing here, move along.

Sparkeh is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Sparkeh
Well, you can use VPN (Virtual Private Network) but it will mess up your router/modem.
Sparkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:43 AM   #3
Yosei
Corgi Addict

In-Game Name: Cubyrop(WoW)
Current Level: 85
Server: Maelstrom
Yosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud ofYosei has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Yosei Send a message via Yahoo to Yosei
Don't know but the service is now open to people in Canada, Ireland, and UK o:

Does their service not have a good stock yet?
Yosei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Vasu
Malingerer

Tournaments Won: 3

In-Game Name: None
Current Level: None
Server: None
Vasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really niceVasu is just really nice
Is it enough to use a proxy? I really like hidemyass.com if that's enough. Otherwise, I don't know anything.

Credits to Loveless for the great signature!
We rode on the winds of the rising storm
We ran to the sounds of thunder
We danced among the lightning bolts
And tore the world asunder

Vasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
MikeyG
Touch all the butts

I've had netflix for close to a year and apparently we Canadians miss out huge compared to the American selection
Old 01-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
A_Forever
:w

Quote:
The selection of available titles is based upon the user's IP address. For most users, this corresponds to the user's physical location. However, it means that, for example, a user in Canada who is accessing the Internet through a U.S.-based router connection will see the selection available to U.S. users.
Quote:
On September 22, 2010, Netflix became available in Canada for $7.99/month, but with a severely limited selection.
And it looks like over a year down the line, that still hasn't changed. US was limited a lot in the beginning, too. It'll get better though. Their reasoning behind it might be that they are trying to get people to pay for the plan of getting DvD in the mail.. and probably not just 1 at a time. That wouldn't surprise me since:

1. Netflix hasn't been available over there for very long and
2. There are less people there than in the US which means they make less.. which means they'll try little things like limiting the instant selection to get you to pay for either both instant and DvD or just the multiple DvDs plan.

That's just my thought on it though. I may be completely wrong and they're just screwing you guys over because they can.. but I still think it will get better. I remember at one point for us, instant went through small changes every now and then. A few good things put up along with other crap and then a while later, a couple of those good things taken away and more good stuff put on. I know when I was in Florida in December, I hadn't been on Netflix in a good 2mths, maybe 3, and they had updated a lot of tv shows I wanted to watch/finish and put on some newer movies.. however some movies that had been on for a while for instant, were now DvD only (That's okay since I'd already seen em) xD

It has gotten a lot better here, in my opinion. More things are staying instant even while more is being added.

EDIT:
Quote:
On November 22, Netflix’s share took a tumble, as share prices fell by as much as 7%. By December 2011, as a consequence of its decision to raise prices, Neflix had lost over 75% of its total value from the summer.
They've already had lawsuits and such here in the U.S. They'll wanna keep us happy for a while since we're still handing over more money than other countries that have netflix available now. They've taken "a tumble" and if they allow everyone to have the same selection as the U.S. and more, they might as well just let it be free.. at least I'm sure that's how "they" feel.

--- I know I went a little askdjaklsdjaklsd with this response, but I got so into the research of this that now I just keep finding things and keep reading. Kinda thought it was interesting.. ya know XD

Last edited by A_Forever; 01-21-2012 at 03:37 PM..
A_Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
MikeyG
Touch all the butts

Haha, your input was much appreciated liz!

So I guess I can just use a proxy?
Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
I'm fairly sure the selection is limited by the licensing agreements Netflix signed with the content providers. Those guy are really holding Netflix over a barrel.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
A_Forever
:w

I found that later and was just too lazy to edit anymore.