Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
ZynneTeva
Site Supporter

Current Level: 60
Server: Cypion
ZynneTeva is on a distinguished road
Mage Rants/Flames

So, I am an experienced MMO'er and probably twice the age of the average Fiesta'er. I have several complaints about the class and wanted to know how you guys feel.

Rants:

1) There is no way to "skill" your mage in this game. Apparently you attack something and cast as much shit as you can on it before it gets to you. Once it gets to you, you just eat the damage and spam spells.

2) Spell spam. There is no better way. Rank 1 AM is the spell you'll be using 80% of the time, most of the time. I have tried all different "specs" and there seems to be no other viable spec for mage at my level.

3) Aggro. No way to tell when you're about to get agro from a mob. Could be poor tanking or over casting, cant tell, cant avoid.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
koager
Prisoner

In-Game Name: Krashaken
Current Level: Squishy Kitty wizMage
Server: Epith
koager is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ZynneTeva View Post
2) Spell spam. There is no better way. Rank 1 AM is the spell you'll be using 80% of the time, most of the time. I have tried all different "specs" and there seems to be no other viable spec for mage at my level.
once you max out cooldown for it it practically becomes instant cast
most mobs in the game run slower than you so while waiting for cooldown run instead of standing there and taking damage.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah mage is pretty much skill spamming in this game... the advantage of mage in this game is that they're very good at AOEing... (esp lvl 60, 67+)

the "skill" is probably how to case your skills and work around the cooldowns for maximum dmg... u may also want to try kiting (hit and run)

Later mage get a lot more variety in their skills (fear, chain cast, stifle, spell steal)

Aggro is just something u learn.. let tanker stun before AOEing.. ready to pot/stone when u're likely to draw aggro through AOE... (mage does A LOT of dmg and its common knowledge that they're very good at taking aggro over the tankers)

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 08-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Blaaaaaaaah
WONDERCLERIC

Tournaments Won: 15

In-Game Name: Bla~ahs
Current Level: 7x
Server: Teva
Blaaaaaaaah has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by ZynneTeva View Post
So, I am an experienced MMO'er and probably twice the age of the average Fiesta'er. I have several complaints about the class and wanted to know how you guys feel.

Rants:

1) There is no way to "skill" your mage in this game. Apparently you attack something and cast as much shit as you can on it before it gets to you. Once it gets to you, you just eat the damage and spam spells.

3) Aggro. No way to tell when you're about to get agro from a mob. Could be poor tanking or over casting, cant tell, cant avoid.
1) You can also try kiting. a.L said that once you get a higher level lightning bolt, you can work out a combo of skills to use, and during that combo, you can run + cast lightning at the same time, then finish off with a higher MM at the end or something.

You can kill things without being hit, just gotta work out a good combo I guess. I personally don't kite because I'm too lazy to, but I think kiting will save a lot of pot and stone money.

2) What koager said.

3) Yeap, dealing a large amount of damage will easy take aggro if the mob was not kicked/mocked properly by the fighter. Clerics face the same problem - if they heal too much, they also take aggro (bloody smart mobs!). You kind of get used to it later, and you will eventually know how to "limit" your damage to just enough.

Though for me, taking aggro usually happens when I AoE too much and not all the mobs were mocked properly. If you were just hitting one mob and you still took aggro from the fighter (and you guys are only attacking that ONE mob), then I'd say that fighter needs to kick more! It should be no problem to keep aggro of one mob. But if you guys were attacking more than one mob, I'd say go for the mob that the fighter is fighting to be safe.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:01 AM   #5
ZynneTeva
Site Supporter

Kiting is not unfamiliar ground for me. In Everquest, I used to kite 30-40 mobs at one time using my Bard! Basically it had AoE damage songs, as well at AoE slow songs, and a run speed increase song. By alternating songs on the run and repeating the sequence without error for 5 min or so, you could kill a giant group of "even con" (even considered or equal level) mobs at one time. If you screw it up and ONE of those 30 mobs touches you, you will die 100% of the time.

Now, kiting in Fiesta...

At level 30 I have only 1 spell that is useful for kiting. Icebolt.

My current spell order is as follows:

Firebolt > Icebolt > AM1 > AM1 > AM5 > MB > AM5

That is just the general set I use not taking into consideration that my spells may crit, in which case I delete the MB. If my Icebolt snare fails (which is like 80% of the time lol) I remove 1 AM1. During this process I take one or two steps back between AM's.

I dont really call this kiting. This is just killing stuff w/o being stupid. I try not to get hit more than once per melee type mob. 2-3 mobs into the grind I healthstone because that usually means im at 60% life or lower.

Maybe later on when I get more advanced spells I can kit quest "elite" mobs w/o dying. Until I get more than one epic failure of a kite spell im going to have to hope I dont get 1 shotted and I can spam pots to finish a quest.

From what I have seen, the kiting in this game is very basic. There is no way to kite and kill a mob that you're supposed to need a group to kill. Skillful kiting in WoW and other MMO's allow the player to solo group only quests if they are skilled enough, and to solo AoE grind w/o needing a healer and spamming PBAoE spells lol!

Perhaps I am to low of a level to fully understand this game, but I wish it had more content. Im not asking for it to be WoW or EQ1 quality, but I wish it had more skill based techniques.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:12 AM   #6
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
I think the game was meant to be an easy to maneuver, casual gaming experience. So that means you don't need to have "skills" to kill a mob. If that makes sense. IMO, if you are getting OHKO'd while grinding then you probably shouldn't be there. Even when I didn't have an END based Mage I was fine and I don't even kite cause turning the camera to make sure I don't run into mobs usually freezes for a couple seconds... so it kills me anyway... lol
Old 08-29-2008, 02:19 AM   #7
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
I dont really kite myself.. i'm lazy too XD and you're right, the only skill u can kite off at the moment is Icebolt...

I personally dont use your combo...

most people alternate MM1 with all the other skills with 15 sec cool down..

(I assume your AM1 is Magic Missile which is commonly abbriviated to MM?)

e.g. MM1 > Icebolt > MM1 > Fire Bolt > MM1 > Lightning Bolt > MM 1 > Magic Burst > MM# (highest lvl MM)

Characters up to lvl 50 are pretty basic in this game... nothing is out of the ordinary until u get to at least lvl 50...

Archers are the real kiting class in Fiesta... we only mentioned for u to kite as a mage coz u dont seem to like taking dmg... but.. face it.. mage has the worst basic defence in this game... u are expected to pot when u solo.. ALL class takes dmg in this game.. even archers who are generally a high dodge rate class in other game takes a lot of dmg when grinding..

the classes of this game is fairly different to other MMO games.. if u keep comparing yourself with other games u're not gonna enjoy it...

if u're looking for a class that allows u to kite a group of mobs u should play archer...

mage are mostly stand still, deal big dmg on the spot type of class...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 08-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #8
ZynneTeva
Site Supporter

Originally Posted by Loveless View Post
I think the game was meant to be an easy to maneuver, casual gaming experience. So that means you don't need to have "skills" to kill a mob. If that makes sense. IMO, if you are getting OHKO'd while grinding then you probably shouldn't be there. Even when I didn't have an END based Mage I was fine and I don't even kite cause turning the camera to make sure I don't run into mobs usually freezes for a couple seconds... so it kills me anyway... lol
I only get OHKO'd from "epic" type quests I try to solo. King Marlone or w/e its name is was the last thing to OHKO me.

Normal grinding mobs about anywhere between 4-7 hits to kill me, with no buffs.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
ZynneTeva
Site Supporter

Originally Posted by Hessah View Post
I dont really kite myself.. i'm lazy too XD and you're right, the only skill u can kite off at the moment is Icebolt...

I personally dont use your combo...

most people alternate MM1 with all the other skills with 15 sec cool down..

(I assume your AM1 is Magic Missile which is commonly abbriviated to MM?)

e.g. MM1 > Icebolt > MM1 > Fire Bolt > MM1 > Lightning Bolt > MM 1 > Magic Burst > MM# (highest lvl MM)

Characters up to lvl 50 are pretty basic in this game... nothing is out of the ordinary until u get to at least lvl 50...

Archers are the real kiting class in Fiesta... we only mentioned for u to kite as a mage coz u dont seem to like taking dmg... but.. face it.. mage has the worst basic defence in this game... u are expected to pot when u solo.. ALL class takes dmg in this game.. even archers who are generally a high dodge rate class in other game takes a lot of dmg when grinding..

the classes of this game is fairly different to other MMO games.. if u keep comparing yourself with other games u're not gonna enjoy it...

if u're looking for a class that allows u to kite a group of mobs u should play archer...

mage are mostly stand still, deal big dmg on the spot type of class...
The combo I listed was my cast order for 1v1 regular mob solo grind encounters. Heres a better explanation!

Firebolt:

-First, because its the highest single damage spell I have and thus should be the spell I want to cool down first of all the 15 sec spells.

Icebolt:

-Second, to apply the snare as soon as possible. I choose to cast this spell 2nd and not 1st because the snare effect is simply too unreliable. If it had a 90% snare rate then I would cast this first, then Firebolt second.

MM1:

-Third, because its quick damage. I do not choose lighting bolt here because the damage is only marginally better on average. I could cast LB here, but I just choose not to for simplicities sake.

MM1:

-Fourth, extra damage. If I start casting at max range, then the mob is usually not close enough to me to justify using MM5, yet.

MM5:

-Fifth, starts the longest CD on MM. I generally will not need this spell again until its CD is up.

AB:

-Extra bonus damage since the monster is usually standing on top of me when this goes off. I take one hit here for simplicities sake.

Most mobs are usually dead at this step. If they are not, I cast whatever spell I feel will sufficiently finish it w/o wasting damage. For instance, I will not start the 15 sec CD on Firebolt if the mob is only at 10% life. If its at 10% or some low %, I usually take another hit here then hit it with a MM1 to save CD's for the next pull.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
a.L
A to the R to the K

a.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud ofa.L has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Blaaaaaaaah View Post
1) You can also try kiting. a.L said that once you get a higher level lightning bolt, you can work out a combo of skills to use, and during that combo, you can run + cast lightning at the same time, then finish off with a higher MM at the end or something.
Ice bolt/blast.
Closed Thread