Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
Whassap
Hero Slime

Current Level: 6x
Server: Teva
Whassap is on a distinguished road
Just curious

I am wondering if that the fighters will eventually become useless in the much higher levels from being a tank, cause since we all know that clerics can tank almost as well as a fighter, and since I have heard rumors now that level 60 archers can tank pretty good as well.

My guild leader told us that and that kinda kept me wondering as well. So since clerics and (maybe) archers can tank really well at the higher levels, then whats the point of a fighter?

My leader suggested that one of the following should be changed or adjusted (for the cleric):

1. The clerics shouldnt be given so much defense, make it so that they have defense between the mages and the archers.

2. Make it so that they cant heal themselves, just the party (I would like to add in that they could aoe heal in the later levels as well)

Changing one of these will make clerics want to go to a party more often as well. Also, clerics could tank but not tank like 3 or more strong enemies at once without getting killed.

And for archers is to not have such high defense.

I'm, not trying to get one sided to any class, i'm jsut trying to make a point here. Please no flaming either Just post your opinions about this and anything you think I have missed here that could make the fighters being a better tank than anyone else

But what do you all think?

PS yes i'm a fighter but still I think that if the clerics defense and archers defense is high enough that they can tank as good as a fighter, then the fighter can become useless and all that hard work that me and the other high lvl fighters are worthless.

Last edited by Whassap; 01-02-2008 at 04:21 PM..
Old 01-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
toolrocket
Baby Bat

In-Game Name: toolrocket
Server: teva
toolrocket has a spectacular aura abouttoolrocket has a spectacular aura about
Isn't the major benefit of a fighter the fact that he can hold aggro w/ his AOE stuff? a cleric can't do that.

We've all seen archers/clerics tank easier mobs and bosses, but without buffs i dont think either of them could tank the dungeon bosses (ggk, zk, etc.).
Old 01-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
Okay, I've played all three characters and although my fighter isn't past 40 or anything (yet) I'll say that a fighter is obviously a better tank. That's what they are there for.

I have an Archer who is not based on END, I only get it from my equipment (total of +50ish), and although I can "tank" the cleric will have to spam heal me (unless I've got myself a buff and a good cleric). And if I have more than 3 monsters on me, I'm going to have to use stones as well to keep up. For me, my AOE poison is what keeps aggro but if ones goes off to the cleric or DD I can't get aggro back until my cooldown is done with... and even then I can't immediately get aggro back unlike a Snearing Kick. Even with END, we have far less defense than a tank.

Now, clerics... they are overpowered in a way. But they become paladins and in most games paladins take the damage for the group as well as heal them. Because they are healers we can't have a dead cleric... otherwise the whole party goes down. But again, although their heals pull aggro they can't always keep it unless everyone else is attacking the same mob they are. Also, if they had defense inbetween an archer and mage... if they pull aggro, they're pretty much done for and there goes the whole party.

The only reason you hear archers and clerics (sometimes a mage) being able to tank better is because their tank wasn't such a great tank to begin with. Someone else had to step up and do the job. Simple as that. You can have the highest defense in-game but if you can't do what you're supposed to then you're good as a level one mage going against a group of monsters.

I've only had around 4 hours of sleep so I don't know if I made a whole lot of sense...
Old 01-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Iruril
Bored Imp

In-Game Name: Gosu
Current Level: 30
Server: Sun
Iruril is on a distinguished road
Ive seen mages tank in the jpFiesta videos of spider KQ. o.O
Old 01-02-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Whassap
Hero Slime

well a lvl 60 archer can aggro a lot as well when they get that aoe attack on the mob. I remember I was with a lvl 64 archer and she aggroed so much that my mock wouldnt aggro most of the trumpies we were facing.

The dungeon bosses I think a fighter would be useful in actually. But with grinding, an archer can really aggro a lot when facing mobs.

Also, clerics can aggro pretty well too with all that healing. Yes they cant aggro by taunting or mock, but they could solo pretty well when they are str/end and possibly take on a fairly good amount of strong enemies.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Hyper
Sucked back into the 'net

In-Game Name: An occupation
Current Level: 8 hours a day
Server: 4reL-lyfe
Hyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these parts
No. Clerics can't replace fighters in later KQs. Even in Mini Dragon, if a cleric tanks and dies, Dragon would annihilate everyone before they managed to get aggro back.

Whoever said that in your guild is pretty stupid.

Anyways, if you haven't checked the Wiki, eventually Fighters will out-damage mages. (When fighters use skills.)

And cleric/archer DEF doesn't even compare with a fighter in high levels.

There's also the fact that fighters have a massive amount of HP more than other classes.

Clerics might have equal or higher M. DEF at the top, but I'm not sure.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Whassap
Hero Slime

ok so you got me with archers but still clerics can heal themselves as well, and they are only given 3 secs CD time to heal while if you use a stone its like 5 - 7 sec CD time (I think, I never really counted the time of stones) but in a way clerics can be given a lot more health when they heal themselves a lot compared to fighters.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
The reason the archer took aggro away from you is because she's 10 levels above you. You also don't have Mock 2 (unless your level isn't 53 anymore) which is another reason she took it away. I take aggro off tanks who are lower level... even the same level as me at times with my AOE poison.

At higher levels it wouldn't be as efficient to solo. Most are going to be AOEing... and clerics won't be able to hold aggro for all of them. They can probably tank 1-3 at a time but not 10+ like a fighter.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
AngellicDiety
Marlone

In-Game Name: AngellicDiety
Current Level: 1 divided by zero
AngellicDiety will become famous soon enoughAngellicDiety will become famous soon enough
If any of you have done the Minidragon KQ, Spider Assault KQ, or any of the Dungeon bosses or high level mobs, you wouldn't be saying any other class can tank as effectively as a fighter.

In spider, No fighter, No Mock, and you have a failed King Quest.

When you see a cleric, or archer tanking the Legendary tree, or the GHost Knight then it'll be a different story.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
Ghostly
Mushroom Fighter

Ghostly is on a distinguished road
lol, mage tank ghost in cp2 lol, I tank white joker as a mage...
Closed Thread