Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 AM   #1
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
Help me figure out graphics cards(among other things) !

So I'm shopping for laptops right now that I will take with me to use at college and while I do want a laptop that will primarily be used for schoolwork, I want to find one that is also capable of... urm... running games. But shhhh.... Don't tell my parents.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to computers so I'm looking at about 9 different laptops and I can't really tell which one is best suited for what I want...

So many questions:

1. 1. I'm staring at all these graphics cards and I have no idea what they mean...
    • Intel Media Accelerator X3100
    • nVidia GeForce Go 7150M
    • ATI Radeon TM 3100
    • NVidia GE Force 8400
    • ATI Radeon HD 3200

I mean... what??? I'm not looking for something top top-notch but... definitely something that can handle most things well.... @__@;;

2. 2. Is the difference between a 3 GB and 4 GB DDR2 memory noticeable enough for me to choose the 4 GB over the 3 GB? And I dun get the DDR2/DDR3 thing either. @__@

3. 3. Other stuff I should look for???

Thanks so much for any help/advice you guys can give me!

Last edited by Ralath; 07-30-2008 at 01:34 AM..
Old 07-30-2008, 01:46 AM   #2
Rof
oh look! nvm!

Tournaments Won: 26

In-Game Name: Rofellos, Lithon_Jr
Current Level: 7x, 4x
Server: Teva
Rof has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Rof Send a message via Yahoo to Rof
video card: i suggest the AMD chipsets(you look at their website for details on the models you gave)...coz its cheaper...NVDIA is a little bit better but the price range is quite large...

DDR2/DDR3: just look at it this way...the higher the number the better! lol! but 3GB RAM is quite a lot...like im only using 2GB RAM right now and dont find any problems...but if your planning to multi task(play fiesta while doing your assignments and photoshoping and etc.)you probably need a large RAM then...

other things: dont forget the processor...always go for the dual core or better...dont go under dual core...im not sure if theres already i quad core on laptops...just check it out...

G____G Member
Signature courtesy of Yosei! <3
And I also want you to visit
Rofelandia. Thanks! lol
Are you daring to challenge MY BRUTE?

G____G Antics...

Originally Posted by Ralath View Post
What are rolling pins?

Bowling pins?
Originally Posted by Hessah View Post
-come feel stupid with me ralath-
Old 07-30-2008, 02:17 AM   #3
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
Its been a few years since I've had a laptop, but the AMD processors ran quite a bit hotter than the comparable Intel chips so make sure you keep the vents clear and in a cool environment. Which is a good rule of thumb, anyway. And they very well could be different now.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Dynamics
Karasian Solider

Tournaments Won: 5

In-Game Name: Dynamics
Current Level: OVER NINE THOUSANDDDDDDDDDDDDD!
Server: under your bed
Dynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to all
1.Advantage: Cheap.
Disadvantage: Onboard graphics, does not have its' own dedicated graphics memory. Benchmarks were pretty poor.

This card is okay for Fiesta. You'll probably lag in towns and occasionally with skills. Since you're getting a new laptop, I suggest against it. May as well get the best you can to make use of the 10 years you'll use this laptop for.Advantages: Will run your games decently, cheap.
Disadvantages: Has standard graphics memory (128MB). Only did average for benchmarks. Won't do you much good over the long term.

This is alright. A laptop with this graphics card will run most of your games decently, but won't give you much standing for future gaming (good graphic games demand 256 MB graphics memory minimum).

Take it if you're confident in playing games you know now for a long time. I've stuck with my onboard graphics as I only play Warcraft and Fiesta.Advantages: Has good graphics memory (256MB - will tap in RAM for more, not a concern with 3 or 4 GB of RAM). Supports DirectX10. Does alright on benchmarks. Will do you okay for the long term.
Disadvantages: Probably part of the more expensive line of laptops you're looking at.

I'm guessing this came with a Toshiba Satellite. Not many other vendors use this card. This will serve you alright. Better than the previous two. I like it.
  • NVidia GE Force 8400
Advantages: Will run your games decently.
Disadvantages: Has standard graphics memory (128MB). Won't do you much good over the long term.

This was probably part of the Dell series. It's good for Fiesta. 128MB of memory won't serve you so well for the long term. Couldn't find a benchmark link. It'd probably do as well as the other GeForce.Advantages: Will run your games decently.
Disadvantages: Has standard graphics memory (128MB). Won't do you much good over the long term. GeForce is better.

Pretty similar to the previous graphics card. Reported as slightly worse.
These numbers and names are meaningless jargon. What you need to do is look up the graphics card's actual memory and some bench mark tests. I've listed a relevant review for each card and personally summed up their advantages/disadvantages.

I'd probably pick the ATI Radeon 3100 because it has higher dedicated memory. I think that's the key thing to look for with graphics card. 256MB is good for gaming. Like with most things, higher is better.

2. There is no significant difference between 4GB RAM and 3GB RAM for your purposes. Your computer needs would really only need 2GB of RAM. Not many programs put that much weight on your RAM and processor, unless you plan to play three games simultaneously or do some other heavy duty things with your computer.

If you plan to play all your games in their highest graphics settings, more RAM may assist in this. Some dedicated graphics cards have the ability to draw memory from RAM. This kind of thing demands high RAM. If you're worried about your graphics looking the shiznit, get 4GB of RAM.

4GB of RAM will serve you good in the long term, but note that notebook memory is easy to upgrade, so getting 2GB now won't hinder you much. I'd go for the 4GB RAM for convenience's sake. You won't regret it 5 years down the track.

Asides from price, DDR2 and DDR3 RAM sticks operate on different efficiencies. Several years ago DDR1 used to be shizz whizz, than DDR2, and now DDR3 is "top of the line." DDR3 uses less power, deletes and writes quicker and costs a little more. More info here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/24...ence-ddr2-ddr3

- A good processor. I like Intel's because they're less susceptible to overheating. AMD's are great processors but I hate fan noise lol.
- A good HDD (120 GB or more depending on your own needs)
- At least 4 USB ports (I've seen a few new laptops with 3 =/),
- At least 2GB of RAM (more memory, less lag in Fiesta towns)
- and at least 256MB of graphics memory (more memory, less lag in Fiesta towns)

There are other things, but these are what may affect your gaming or school work needs.

Last edited by Dynamics; 07-30-2008 at 02:44 AM..
Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Wow... Thanks!

That's a lot of information to process. @_@

After that, I think the laptop I'm leaning towards is this one:
Toshiba Satellite P305-S8834

Same product... I think. @_@ Just a different layout.

I have this keyboard fetish and I have to have an amazing keyboard feel to it. Partially the reason why I wanted a Macbook Pro earlier--their keyboards are *heavenly*. I reallllly like the Fusion Finish on that these Toshiba Satellites have. xD

Does that laptop get the Dynamics seal of approval? Or does he see something unsatisfactory? Or does he simply have something better to recommend? .-.

I actually don't like the numpad on the right. I'd rather just have an attachable USB one... but that's pretty minor. @w@
Old 07-30-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
Rof
oh look! nvm!

$900...

wow!

but its all good...

did i just read that the video memory is sharable up to 1GB?

G____G Member
Rofelandia. Thanks! lol

G____G Antics...

What are rolling pins?

Bowling pins?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
Dynamics
Karasian Solider

Tournaments Won: 5

In-Game Name: Dynamics
Current Level: OVER NINE THOUSANDDDDDDDDDDDDD!
Server: under your bed
Dynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to allDynamics is a name known to all
That laptop's specs look great. Price looks just right. Nice one.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
MikeyG
Touch all the butts

Tournaments Won: 10

In-Game Name: lnfamous
Current Level: 6x
MikeyG has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeyG
ATI Radeon HD 3200 is what i use ... it works fine.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Is $900 cheap or expensive? @_@ I know there are a lot of cheaper laptops and desktops out there but I'm hoping this will last me quite a few years so the cost will even it...

And I have no idea what that shareable memory means. @.@
Old 07-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #10
Rof
oh look! nvm!

its technology...nothing last long! LOL!!!

but you dont need to cope up with technology...

yeah $900 is expensive...but looking at the specs of the notebook,i think its a good deal...and try not to buy online 1st...i believe best buy is cheaper...

G____G Member
Rofelandia. Thanks! lol

G____G Antics...

What are rolling pins?

Bowling pins?
Closed Thread