Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 06:36 AM   #1
iDerrick
Symphony

Tournaments Won: 2

iDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant future
You hardcore RTS fans out there

What are you expecting? Starcraft 2 or Dawn of War 2? Or both?

I've been waiting for starcraft 2 for a little over 10 years. I was excited to hear that it was going to be released this year sometime in the summer. I was for sure going to buy. Until I heard that it was going to be turned into a trilogy. Oh great, its not going to be one game Ill be buying, itll be one, then 2 more to wai for. Epic fail. Then my friend showed me and kind of sort of introduced me to warhammer dawn of war 2. Ive never played any of the warhammer series, but after seeing a couple of dawn of war 2 videos, it started to grab my attention. I'm wondering if any of you have played the warhammer series and would tell me if its easy to catch on to since Ive never layed a finger on the series. I'm kind of tired of the farming for materials and such as found in starcraft and I thought dow2 would provide something different, and it does. According to the video, theres less focus on buildings and more on control points. I think this game will add a new twist to my rts needs. It comes out on Feb 18 as opposed to starcraft 2 coming out in either June or July.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Server: Teva
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
No clue about Warhammer, but I will try Starcraft 2. I spent many of my formative gaming years playing the original. It'll always hold a special place, heh.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
MikeyG
Touch all the butts

Tournaments Won: 10

In-Game Name: lnfamous
Current Level: 6x
MikeyG has disabled reputation
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeyG
Tried savage 2? Its now been changed from P2P to F2P so I suggest you check it out.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
iDerrick
Symphony

Tournaments Won: 2

iDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant futureiDerrick has a brilliant future
Just tried dawn of war 2's beta on steam. Everything about it was so much different than the first dawn of war game. It felt like trying out the first dawn of war was a bit pointless since i cant find anything i did in that game in the sequel. Blargh.

As for Savage, I've heard of it but I've never seen it, nor have my friends ever recommended it to me. But I'm willing to check it out later on when I have nothing better to do.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
Hraesvelg
Blaaaaaah 2 u 2

In-Game Name: Hraesvelg
Current Level: 6X
Hraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of lightHraesvelg is a glorious beacon of light
That's what they've been saying at Penny Arcade.

1-21
Consuming threads related to Dawn of War II, I began to absorb a sense of betrayal on the part of its community as well. There's a doctrinal shift in the sequel, but far more fundamental than other ones I've described. The second Dawn of War doesn't model the base building,"home front" element the way most Real-Time Strategy games do, in that there really isn't much base building at all. Buildings are constructed at the capture points, shifting the focus toward battlefield tactics and force composition.

I can't say if that makes for a good multiplayer game, I'll grab the beta today and see for myself. But there's a strong contingent that believes the product to be irrevocably flawed on that basis alone, which is a position that preempts huge swaths of strategic experiences. I'm not immune to this force, so this isn't me simply hurling scorn from my palanquin. My own reaction to Final Fantasy XII's notorious heresies - acts of villainy that dramatically expanded its audience - show me to be perfectly capable of hard-line conservatism when the virtues I prize are under assault. So, take it as an apology then, noble Dawn of War community. They changed the game to appeal to people like me, and it worked.

And From 1-28

I think we're going to start interleaving Gears nights with the Dawn of War II beta. I'm not especially savvy at RTS games, which (as I suggested earlier) might be what draws me to it - it's made breaks with tradition that also, happily, bring it closer to the source material. I should establish that the less like an RTS a game is the more I tend to like it, so please take that into account when considering my advice. Tactical games are my passion, and so a game that minimizes domestic "housekeeping" tasks puts it in my wheelhouse. If you look at the ones I like the most: Myth, Ground Control, and World in Conflict, they're all games that yank that shit out by the root.