Remember, you MUST register to post on the Fiesta Fan forums. It's completely free to join. Just click HERE to become a member for free!

REGISTER NOW TO REMOVE ALL ADS ON THIS FORUM!

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:17 AM   #21
Icy
Huge Slime

Tournaments Won: 6

In-Game Name: おぼえていますんか?
Icy has a spectacular aura aboutIcy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Loveless View Post
... Especially when the olympics (which really shouldn't happen IMO) is around the corner.
Originally Posted by Maki View Post

Unfortunately.. That is the reason why it isn't publicalised as much as it should have been for public aid.
I guess the China government didn't want to ruin the good spirit of things...
Originally Posted by Hessah View Post
I think the Olympic may bring their spirit up... something to be proud of as a Chinese.... ... but they get their good spirit from knowing that people around the world is giving every bit of our effort to help them through...
Originally Posted by lvramire View Post
I don't see how they plan to shrug off the problems they've been having in time for the Olympics... Especially when it seems like noones looking at the people who suffered in the natural disasters anymore (media)
The Olympics has been a highly anticipated event in China, and it is also a matter of national pride to see it through in as exotic a manner as possible in an attempt to woo the rest of the world. It's an event for it to show off whatever it's got - backing out wouldn't even be considered.

I've noticed that CCTV news today come in this sequence: speech by senior party officials; updates on the disaster relief effort; updates on the preparations for the Olympics. Very little world news, if at all. Several times this was followed by specials on the earthquake's survivors and select moving stories. All the time, a ticker scrolls at the bottom showing updates on the disaster and relief effort statistics and the Olympics (I last saw one saying 53bn RMB of funds in total with over 30bn RMB already distributed). Within the country, this is certainly a widely publicised incident, with coverage on TV plus lots of huge posters on 5.12. I've also heard of an additional Party fee collected to fund for disaster relief. But the Party's approach to international aid seems to be to accept aid with no strings attached and not beg for more.

The people directly affected by the earthquake have their lives irreversibly changed and there is little that can be done to remove their sorrow and or misery. In terms of monetary and material relief, what could have been done had been done. Which country could have done better?

The earthquake was felt by so many people across the country and when the buildings shook, all of them experienced fear. Afterwards, everyone donated money to disaster aid; some more, some less. What more can one ask of them?

China already had its share of mishaps this year with the earthquake and the floods. To let the Olympics be affected would just drown the people in their own misery. Frankly though, the whole thing is just hype. Olympics is just something for the people to be proud of when China wins medals.

The olympics is a form of celebration. I don't see how they can celebrate when so many are homeless and many more grieving for their lost families. If they have enough money to embed each and every medal with jade. I think they have more than enough to help those families in need.
What idealistic views. Even though the operator of China is called the Chinese Communist Party, they don't go around redistributing wealth. See it as the Party of Chinese-Communists rather than the Chinese Party of Communists. Social welfare is rather vague. An event such as the Olympics is known to bring about foreign attention, business investments, forced development, tourism, broadcasting rights, and all that equal wealth! Running the Olympics is a delicate issue. Celebration is like a meaningless mascot to me.

Originally Posted by Ralath View Post
Of course, they're not going to. Who knows how long the problems facing that region are going to be solved?

And of course, the Chinese government's remedy to the situation is to cover it up.

To be fair, it's not as if the Olympics were planned to coincide with this.
All true. The first won't happen in my lifetime. The second, well - who doesn't do cover-ups? It's just a matter of how much is covered up. I'm pretty sure the Party tried to fend off aggressive foreign humanitarian aid inputs, and on the international stage it appears to be quiet about the issue, and the reason can only be that it doesn't want all this unwanted attention. After all, nothing in this world comes free, aid included. I was frequently asked whether I heard of the earthquake outside the country. This gave me the impression that public announcements made no mention of foreign involvement, so these people are wondering if these other countries know about the earthquake.

Originally Posted by lvramire View Post
So I guess the actual Outspark donation thing is long-past revival?
Outspark will try to make a bundle of money out of everything, wow. The last time they used Planting 10,000 Trees to promote their CS items, I found that it only costs a 3-digit sum of money to do so, from the link that was given as the organisation that carries out the planting.

Originally Posted by Ethelinde View Post
I loved how China rushed aid to US when Katrina hit while Bush is still scrambling around...
Interestingly, I heard this. Russia, upon hearing of the earthquake, swiftly sent in planes carrying aid relief goods. The US pondered, and decided to ask first whether it could send in relief. The Chinese Premier hinted that he'd appreciate it if only the US could stop meddling with the Taiwan issue.

Basically, if you have the money to spare, donate by all means. If not, just go away or shut up and watch. That's the feeling I get.

"You should never judge a book by it's cover unless you understand what you are getting into. But anyone with eyes can determine your kind rather easily. You and Triumph are of the same breed. Egotistical, narcissists who believe that numbers are some how important. It is one's love for something that truly determines who knows more and it is without a doubt that my love for the mage class trumps yours any day."
Old 07-21-2008, 03:29 AM   #22
Hyper
Sucked back into the 'net

In-Game Name: An occupation
Current Level: 8 hours a day
Server: 4reL-lyfe
Hyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these parts
Seems to me like the media hardly covered the earthquake... Which is sad. I'd "sign" it but I don't think I'd make a difference...

It's kind of sad how I don't hear much about it on the news now. Especially when the olympics (which really shouldn't happen IMO) is around the corner.
Srsly... ;_; At least, not in China. Much too late now though.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:40 AM   #23
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Burger Time Champion! Cannon Ball Follies 2 Champion!
Tournaments Won: 51

In-Game Name: Hessah / Ble~ehs
Current Level: 91 / 85 / 79 / 65 / 28
Server: Teeeeeee-vah
Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
Nice post.

Originally Posted by Icy
This gave me the impression that public announcements made no mention of foreign involvement, so these people are wondering if these other countries know about the earthquake.
I have a similar impression. But I dont think it's the problem of no mention of foreign involvement, its... no mention at all about china earthquake in foreign media. Well at least in Australia, i've hardly heard about it. Apart from that some celebrity (i 4got her name) said that the earthquake is "karma"....

a 3 digit sum is better than no digit =D I'm sure every bit helps....

Did you read those comics? Are they awesome... I cant get over how well done they are...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
Heart___G_Hessah_G___Heart
79 - Paladin | 85 - Enchanter | 91 - Scoutxx
Ninja text! For those who's easily amused
I can show you the woooorld!
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 07-21-2008, 03:41 AM   #24
Icy
Huge Slime

Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Srsly... ;_; At least, not in China. Much too late now though.
A good performance at the Olympics will raise the morale of the people. And if your comment is the result of anything other than thinking along the lines of undermining the Olympics in order to grieve for the earthquake-affected people, such is the very reason many people still treat foreigners with both curiosity and spite.

I have a similar impression. But I dont think it's the problem of no mention of foreign involvement, its... no mention at all about china earthquake in foreign media. Well at least in Australia, i've hardly heard about it. Apart from that some celebrity (i 4got her name) said that the earthquake is "karma"....
What kinda media is there in Australia? You should move on to some news channel that reports on world affairs rather than local issues. And, what a misguided soul the aforementioned celebrity is! What have the ordinary people done? For thousands of years they have always been the victims of the changing political landscape of that part of Asia.

"You should never judge a book by it's cover unless you understand what you are getting into. But anyone with eyes can determine your kind rather easily. You and Triumph are of the same breed. Egotistical, narcissists who believe that numbers are some how important. It is one's love for something that truly determines who knows more and it is without a doubt that my love for the mage class trumps yours any day."

Last edited by Icy; 07-21-2008 at 03:47 AM..
Old 07-21-2008, 03:45 AM   #25
Hyper
Sucked back into the 'net

In-Game Name: An occupation
Current Level: 8 hours a day
Server: 4reL-lyfe
Hyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these partsHyper is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
A good performance at the Olympics will raise the morale of the people. And if your comment is the result of anything other than thinking along the lines of undermining the Olympics in order to grieve for the earthquake-affected people, such is the very reason many people still treat foreigners with both curiosity and spite.
I was talking about how the Chinese government treats the the citizens of China and the lack of human-rights. (Not to mention the Tibetan crisis.)

I guess I was mildly off-toping-ing...
Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 AM   #26
Ralath
Bbang ggoo ddong ggoo

Tournaments Won: 36

Ralath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to beholdRalath is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Ralath
I was frequently asked whether I heard of the earthquake outside the country. This gave me the impression that public announcements made no mention of foreign involvement, so these people are wondering if these other countries know about the earthquake.
That's interesting. I just got asked that same question today by a couple people from Guangzhou who were visiting us.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:51 AM   #27
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

Hessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond reputeHessah has a reputation beyond repute
A random thought:

Chinese people are very proud of finally having the Olympics held at their country. They were fighting with Sydney for 2000 Olympics, and didn't get it. So to get it 8 years later, is a dream finally coming true.

They've tried educating people, like line up, and banning dog meat and everything, trying their best to accomodate foreigners.

Also, they recently did an informal survey in HK, after the olympic torch went through HK, asking how many people considered themselves as "Chinese" instead of "Hong Kong People"*. And a raise from less than half to 60% now considered themselves as "Chinese". keke

*For those that didn't know, Hong Kong was under british rulings until 1997, and many of us considered ourselves to be more "superior" than people from mainland china... it was a cultural thing at the time... Hong Kong people was a bit reluctant in calling ourselves "chinese" as it implies that we're from mainland china... but things are changing, and the olympics sure makes more hong kong people feel proud to be chinese

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 07-21-2008, 03:52 AM   #28
Icy
Huge Slime

Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
I was talking about how the Chinese government treats the the citizens of China and the lack of human-rights. (Not to mention the Tibetan crisis.)

I guess I was mildly off-toping-ing...
I would attempt to make an argument, if only you had more than the usual clichéd repertoire of 'human-rights blah blah'. And since when did the Tibetan issue become a crisis? Does your local media think that low of the Chinese government?

*For those that didn't know, Hong Kong was under british rulings until 1997, and many of us considered ourselves to be more "superior" than people from mainland china... it was a cultural thing at the time... Hong Kong people was a bit reluctant in calling ourselves "chinese" as it implies that we're from mainland china... but things are changing, and the olympics sure makes more hong kong people feel proud to be chinese
Some people, after they have attained wealth, forget their roots. It is understandable, but to be ashamed of it takes it to a new level. See, as the economy booms in the mainland, as the other coastal cities develop beyond Hong Kong, the opinions change again.

Last edited by Icy; 07-21-2008 at 03:58 AM.. Reason: Merge
Old 07-21-2008, 04:09 AM   #29
Hessah
Hardcore Procrastinator

What kinda media is there in Australia? You should move on to some news channel that reports on world affairs rather than local issues. And, what a misguided soul the aforementioned celebrity is! What have the ordinary people done? For thousands of years they have always been the victims of the changing political landscape of that part of Asia.
Well that's the problem isnt it? if normal TV news and mainstream newspapers only reports little of the earthquake.. then the majority of the people here will only know little bit... not everyone watches news channels.. but when they had the tsnami and 911.. it was broadcasted day and night for a week here! i'm sure just as many ppl suffer from this earthquake... why do we know only so little?

Yeah i found out her name.. Sharon Stone (just google China Karma and all you see is her name HAHA) got hammered and jobs stripped off her XD All her ads in China were taken down...

Some people, after they have attained wealth, forget their roots. It is understandable, but to be ashamed of it takes it to a new level. See, as the economy booms in the mainland, as the other coastal cities develop beyond Hong Kong, the opinions change again.
For people of this generation... British rulings are our roots. Dont forget that British took over HK for 100 years, we're born into British laws, British education, British passport, our own currency etc. We even speak a different language to China (canto vs mando). So its not just the wealth thing, but there was actually a culture difference.

But since the last time i was in HK it was obvious the gap between china and HK is sure closing up...

G____G

G____GTevaG____G
I don't want to see it!
okay...

Old 07-21-2008, 04:19 AM   #30
AdamK13
King Crab

In-Game Name: Kawyn/AdamK13
Current Level: 3x/2x
Server: Bijou!!! <<-- Rocks
AdamK13 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to AdamK13
this is great! I hope everything goes well if this idea becomes reality!

[N_K_O_T_B]
See you in Fiesta!!!!

Originally Posted by Manzcar View Post
I think......dots.....are.....just...fine,,,,,i,.,,, ,,like,,,,,commas tooo,,,,,,,,,
Closed Thread