Thread: Tera
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
Loveless
Super Moderator

In-Game Name: Espei
Loveless has disabled reputation
Thought I'd do a follow up review on the game.

I'm currently a level 42 Elin Lancer. Some are already hitting the current cap of 60 which is... interesting to say the least. As much as I do like the game I don't think I can play more than 3-4 hours a day. Most because the "action combat" bit is a bit more tiring than just tab, 1, and switch screens for a few min.

Anyway, the thing about not having enough money? That was only a concern in the beginning. I haven't actually sold anything in the AH (most of my half decent gear is thrown in the guild bank) and I haven't actually bought anything other than potions but managed to save nearly 300g on quests and coins dropped by mobs.

In TERA the money dropped by mobs is actually worth picking up. It ranges from 5 silvers to 60 silvers in regular areas. Last night I was in the open world dungeon which dropped around 1-2g a mob.

You also get all the latest gear from quests so you really don't have to buy gear until maybe end-game where you wouldn't be out leveling your current gear in a matter of days. Whatever rare equipment you get from instances is a bonus.

The enhancement system is not bad either. The gear will not degrade or break. The chance to go from +5 to 6 seems a pain but it's not so bad when there isn't a risk of breakage. Most of the time you wouldn't bother with enhancements anyway cause you get better gear through questing...

I still don't see the point in crafting though. Then again I never did like crafting in any game. But the gathering part is good. You get stackable buffs from picking up plants and ores. At level 300 you apparently get hats so that's an incentive to pick things up along the way. (And 300 is easily attainable)

For the actual game play. I found it to be the most challenging and fun to tank in TERA. Even with the best AI the mobs will become predictable for sure... they'll have certain movements to say what they'll do but they don't just go for you. They'll bulldoze right at you or hop around and potentially squishing a healer or DPS. You have to time stuns and leashes (kind of a pull skill that interrupts skills) as well as be aware of surroundings.

I'm glad I'm not just a stagnant tank that just sits there. Positioning is important so that I can block the damage. If I'm slightly off it'll hit me in the backside and I'll take full damage. Keeps everyone on your toes.

Only downside is that I cannot chat when tanking, lol.

TBC...
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote